OT: - Who looks like the best team in hoops now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Who looks like the best team in hoops now?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Really like Purdue. Their 3P% is off the charts and they have the hardest player in college basketball to defend. If I had to pick a final four after three games, they’re the only team I’d lock in.
Haven't seen them play yet, but wondering if Edey is any better than he was last tourney. He stuffed stat sheets, but he was also exposed as being slow and out of position often. PSU had a great game plan for him in B1G title game, even though they lost by couple of points late. And FDU took that to another level in taking them out 1st round.

Reaction Score
Really like Purdue. Their 3P% is off the charts and they have the hardest player in college basketball to defend. If I had to pick a final four after three games, they’re the only team I’d lock in.
Did u like them last year too?

Reaction Score
Right now give me UConn, Purdue, Kansas in the Final Four. Don't have a strong feeling on the last team but probably one of Creighton, Houston, Tennessee

Reaction Score
Did u like them last year too?
No. Two years ago they were making threes but not taking a lot. Last year they were taking them but not making any. This year they are top 100 in both 3P% and 3P scoring distribution. Top ten in defensive efficiency so far.

Last year there was a team top 100 in both referenced 3 point categories, top ten in defense, with a matchup nightmare at center and a coach that was labeled as an underperformer in March. That team won it all. So all I’m saying is don’t write off Purdue - they’re the best team in the country through the first couple of weeks.

If Purdue is clicking and firing on all cylinders, I don’t know if any teams could defend them besides KU and UConn.

Reaction Score
No. Two years ago they were making threes but not taking a lot. Last year they were taking them but not making any. This year they are top 100 in both 3P% and 3P scoring distribution. Top ten in defensive efficiency so far.

Last year there was a team top 100 in both referenced 3 point categories, top ten in defense, with a matchup nightmare at center and a coach that was labeled as an underperformer in March. That team won it all. So all I’m saying is don’t write off Purdue - they’re the best team in the country through the first couple of weeks.

If Purdue is clicking and firing on all cylinders, I don’t know if any teams could defend them besides KU and UConn.
They've played Samford, Morehead State, and a Xavier team that sadly has their whole frontcourt out.

Reaction Score
Matt Painter /Purdue has stumbled badly in March but don't discount 29 wins and B1G10 titles. This year's team has more athleticism and experience than last year's team with more outside shot making potential - Painter just signed top 10 recruiting class for next year including Glenn Robinson's son.

No coach in America has more pressure to win on his shoulders this year than Matt Painter- Let's see how he does .
I have two kids currently enrolled at Purdue so I hear about them every day.

Reaction Score
Right now, it seems really hard to say. I missed the Arizona win over Duke. Our team looks okay, but not great. Michigan State seems to suck, but I expect them to get to the 15-20 range in time. Duke has flaws. Kansas barely beat a Kentucky team that had low early expectations (I don’t want to see them in the FF this year). Nobody looks phenomenal. Is this the year that a mid major wins the whole thing?
I saw Arizona beat Duke. Zona looked impressive. Their power forward is legit. Their center is effective and active. And they have two high level guards: the sophomore and the NC transfer. They took Duke's best punches and still came back. Impressive win.

Reaction Score
We might not be the best team yet, but I’ll take my chances with Hurley and his ability to get the best out of his players.

Reaction Score
Matt Painter /Purdue has stumbled badly in March but don't discount 29 wins and B1G10 titles. This year's team has more athleticism and experience than last year's team with more outside shot making potential - Painter just signed top 10 recruiting class for next year including Glenn Robinson's son.

No coach in America has more pressure to win on his shoulders this year than Matt Painter- Let's see how he does .
I have two kids currently enrolled at Purdue so I hear about them every day.
Will getting that elusive first round win, versus a high double digit seed be enough to assuage Purdue fans and help Painter his job?

Because in reality, that’s probably a stretch goal for this team…

Reaction Score
Naw conference sucks

Reaction Score
They've played Samford, Morehead State, and a Xavier team that sadly has their whole frontcourt out.
So what are your thoughts on UConn through 3? Purdue has played better teams.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming a win over Indiana. How is Texas looking? I’m assuming/hoping that’s the first real test.

Reaction Score
So what are your thoughts on UConn through 3? Purdue has played better teams.
Same thoughts I had before the season. We're very talented and I think we'll have an opportunity to repeat if we stay healthy. I certainly won't be throwing out stats three games into the season and I'll wait until they play some real competition.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m assuming a win over Indiana. How is Texas looking? I’m assuming/hoping that’s the first real test.
We shouldn’t look past Indiana. Lose to Indiana and we’re playing Louisville instead of Texas. Indiana is also still a solid team, even if they’re not great.

Reaction Score
They're kinda like us, haven't played anybody of real note and all 3 at home.

They beat 2 really bad teams and 1 decent team.

They technically haven't covered any of the 3, but they pushed once, and were off by 2 both other games. They've basically played exactly to KenPom projections as a mid teens team. They started at 16 but a couple teams passed them by playing well, not that they played poorly.

Very good defense, meh offense. Play at a pretty fast pace.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Eliminating us for the sake of bias.

Purdue/Kansas/Tennessee/Arizona would be my picks right now. Arizona doesn’t look like a top 4 team imo, but they have the best win as of right now.

Reaction Score
Will getting that elusive first round win, versus a high double digit seed be enough to assuage Purdue fans and help Painter his job?

Because in reality, that’s probably a stretch goal for this team…
Painter is not going anywhere - he needs to get to a final 4.

Reaction Score

I don't get this idea of assuming a win over Indiana. It's November. Most teams are figuring out and are going to be up and down. We have some known commodities and plenty of unproven ones. I do think that Hurley will knock the fog out of them that seemed to be there the other night but it strikes me as foolish to assume a win over a team like Indiana at this point in the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't get this idea of assuming a win over Indiana. It's November. Most teams are figuring out and are going to be up and down. We have some known commodities and plenty of unproven ones. I do think that Hurley will knock the fog out of them that seemed to be there the other night but it strikes me as foolish to assume a win over a team like Indiana at this point in the season.
I think we can be sure Hurley is treating Indiana like it’s the Pacers, not the Hoosiers. Some fans may assume a win, but the staff won’t. We will need to make FTs, avoid fouls that put scorers on the bench and hope Castle can play. We should be the better team, but that was true in several losses in recent years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom