*whispers* St. John's isn't that bad | Page 3 | The Boneyard

*whispers* St. John's isn't that bad

Reaction Score
My hope is this win by the Johnnies will cause many of the nitwits on the Yard who went DEFCON 1 after UConn's loss to do some much needed self-reflection. But that's not the way to bet.
Took exactly 1 post for this dream to be crushed

Reaction Score
It was a s^^tty dream, last night has nothing to do with Hurley blowing that game.
I agree with this. It doesn't matter if SJU is the second coming of UNLV ca. 1990. That loss was inexcusable, given the fact that UConn put themselves in position for what should have been a win, and blew it.

Reaction Score
Sure but I think we can all agree the people saying losing to St John's is going to keep us out of the NCAA tournament are crazy right?
At this current point in time, its a bad loss either way. But not back-breaking. 1 Q1 win. 1-3 vs BE teams that aren't in the bottom 2, 4-0 vs teams that are. 25% of our wins are against Hartford and CCSU. NET in the 40s. The St. John's game is water under the bridge, but we can't afford something like that to happen again. Squarely on the bubble.

Reaction Score
At this current point in time, its a bad loss either way. But not back-breaking. 1 Q1 win. 1-3 vs BE teams that aren't in the bottom 2, 4-0 vs teams that are. 25% of our wins are against Hartford and CCSU. NET in the 40s. The St. John's game is water under the bridge, but we can't afford something like that to happen again. Squarely on the bubble.
No, it's not a bad loss. UConn is on the bubble and so is St John's, losing to another bubble team by 4 points is not a bad loss. It's also completely disingenuous to phrase UConn as having 1 Q1 win when it's 1 out of 2 opportunities. We'll have a ton of Q1 games coming up, which just so happens to line up with us getting our best player back

Reaction Score
No, it's not a bad loss. UConn is on the bubble and so is St John's, losing to another bubble team by 4 points is not a bad loss. It's also completely disingenuous to phrase UConn as having 1 Q1 win when it's 1 out of 2 opportunities. We'll have a ton of Q1 games coming up, which just so happens to line up with us getting our best player back
If you are a bubble team, losing to other bubble teams, that is by definition a bad loss. That's how your bubble pops.

Reaction Score
UConn isn't currently a bubble team, without the team healthy I think most think we will be a bubble team with the upcoming schedule. Need to get healthy.

Reaction Score
UConn isn't currently a bubble team, without the team healthy I think most think we will be a bubble team with the upcoming schedule. Need to get healthy.
I don't think we're a bubble team either but I didn't feel like arguing that one small part of his post when everything else was just blatantly wrong

Reaction Score
My hope is this win by the Johnnies will cause many of the nitwits on the Yard who went DEFCON 1 after UConn's loss to do some much needed self-reflection. But that's not the way to bet.
Well in fairness UConn started off that game very well and was up big. It was looking like a nice easy win and then things changed awful quickly. So I think that is where some of the frustration came from. Not just that it was St. John's.

Reaction Score
Well in fairness UConn started off that game very well and was up big. It was looking like a nice easy win and then things changed awful quickly. So I think that is where some of the frustration came from. Not just that it was St. John's.
I don't think things changed quickly. They had that 14 point lead with 12 minutes left in the first half, but St. John's slowly and methodically closed the gap during the course of the rest of the game. By halftime they were only down 3. With 7 or so minutes left in the second they started to exchange lead changes until they took the lead and didn't look back. I think they had that early lead because Cole went off at the beginning of the game. If he didn't get hot early, it could have been a much uglier loss.

Reaction Score
while the two upsets yesterday should result in a positive shift in the media's perception of the BE as the top to bottom 3rd strongest conference, i'm skeptical. Nova might drop 10 spots in the rankings and creighton might fall all the way out leaving 1 ranked team. hopefully they prove me wrong and hopefully if we beat Hall this week we get ranked again.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think things changed quickly. They had that 14 point lead with 12 minutes left in the first half, but St. John's slowly and methodically closed the gap during the course of the rest of the game. By halftime they were only down 3. With 7 or so minutes left in the second they started to exchange lead changes until they took the lead and didn't look back. I think they had that early lead because Cole went off at the beginning of the game. If he didn't get hot early, it could have been a much uglier loss.
The game totally changed when Sanogo was inexplicably taken out of the game and never put back in. They had nobody to guard him and he was getting what he wanted.

Reaction Score
mayyyyybe.

Despite their streak, they're still 12-7. I can't see a 10-loss team make the tourney so unless they win the Big East, they need to go 6-1 the rest of the regular season to finish the season with nine losses.
i think they stay/finish 6th in the BE and end up on the bubble but only 5 teams get in

Reaction Score
mayyyyybe.

Despite their streak, they're still 12-7. I can't see a 10-loss team make the tourney so unless they win the Big East, they need to go 6-1 the rest of the regular season to finish the season with nine losses.
Math does not check out.

Reaction Score
Assuming a loss in the Big East tourney + 6-1 in regular season = 9 losses.
The context clues were all there and I whiffed. Even still, I think 5-2 with a couple wins in the tourny would get them there at 19-10 with no bad losses. I think for them it comes down to for each loss in regular season they need a tourny win. So 6-1 with 1 win or 5-2 with 2 wins, etc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

UConn had the lead. St. John’s closed the gap when we went small. Second half, two bigs, built the lead again. Then, with Sanogo dominating them, we went small again and lost the lead for good. I never cared that it was St John’s we lost to, only that it was a team we crushed when playing big and a team that crushed us when we played small. So we stayed small for the entire last 1/2 of the second half.

I’m glad the loss doesn’t look as bad for our NET, but we had no business losing that game.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
UConn had the lead. St. John’s closed the gap when we went small. Second half, two bigs, built the lead again. Then, with Sanogo dominating them, we went small again and lost the lead for good. I never cared that it was St John’s we lost to, only that it was a team we crushed when playing big and a team that crushed us when we played small. So we stayed small for the entire last 1/2 of the second half.

I’m glad the loss doesn’t look as bad for our NET, but we had no business losing that game.
seemed to me like a coaching miss. he was being too reactionary to the sju roster changes. could happen to the best of them, but i hope hurley sees it that way and just learns from it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom