*whispers* St. John's isn't that bad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

*whispers* St. John's isn't that bad

Reaction Score
Posh leads the league in steals, had 6 more today, and had one late that helped SJU win. He is going to be a great college player and harass our guards for 7 more games at minimum. Their freshman are way ahead of ours right now. Can drive and finish as well as rebound and are relied on for winning the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is not much of a difference between St. John's, Marquette, and Providence this year.

No there isn't, although Marquette is probably a small step below because of weaker coaching. I would put UConn into the SJU/Prov/Marq category too. Seton Hall is probably a step up. Not sure where Xavier falls out.

Reaction Score
The Sanogo situation aside, St. John's outplayed us down the stretch of that game. I watched it a few times. They made shots, which always helps, but they were tough and Posh and Champagnie are both legit.

Posh started the season 2/18 from 3, but he's shooting 40% from deep the last 6 games on 4 attempts a game. Not coincidentally, they've won 5 of 6, and the game they lost he didn't make any and is the only game in the stretch he didn't score in double figures.

Champagnie and his brother are both having awesome seasons. Julian is a 12-er on KenPom (top 500 player in 12 different stat categories) and Justin is a 13-er. Whaley shut him down for most of the game, but he had 2 huge moves in the last 2 minutes (layup and drew a foul on the other) against Whaley and Martin that kept them ahead.

And then they have a bunch of tough, solid roleplayers that can either shoot or attack the basket and draw fouls. Their centers aren't great, but they protect the rim. I think they are a for real bubble team. Champagnie isn't getting a lot of NBA buzz right now, and so he might come back. They only have 1 senior in the rotation (Dunn), and they won't miss him too much. They'll be a trendy pick for top tier of the conference next year.

Reaction Score
No there isn't, although Marquette is probably a small step below because of weaker coaching. I would put UConn into the SJU/Prov/Marq category too. Seton Hall is probably a step up. Not sure where Xavier falls out.
It’s
Nova

Creighton/Seton Hall/UConn/Xavier

PC/St.John’s/Marquette

Butler/Gtown/Depaul

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Posh is a small tough guard who can play. We have done serious damage with guards just like him with just a supporting cast.
SJU is going to be tough the next few years.
Posh was a top 80 kid his junior year in high school. I thought we were about to offer after watching the lightning a few times but then he got injured fell in the rankings and he kind of fell out of favor. Good on St John’s for sticking with him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Sanogo situation aside, St. John's outplayed us down the stretch of that game. I watched it a few times. They made shots, which always helps, but they were tough and Posh and Champagnie are both legit.

Posh started the season 2/18 from 3, but he's shooting 40% from deep the last 6 games on 4 attempts a game. Not coincidentally, they've won 5 of 6, and the game they lost he didn't make any and is the only game in the stretch he didn't score in double figures.

Champagnie and his brother are both having awesome seasons. Julian is a 12-er on KenPom (top 500 player in 12 different stat categories) and Justin is a 13-er. Whaley shut him down for most of the game, but he had 2 huge moves in the last 2 minutes (layup and drew a foul on the other) against Whaley and Martin that kept them ahead.

And then they have a bunch of tough, solid roleplayers that can either shoot or attack the basket and draw fouls. Their centers aren't great, but they protect the rim. I think they are a for real bubble team. Champagnie isn't getting a lot of NBA buzz right now, and so he might come back. They only have 1 senior in the rotation (Dunn), and they won't miss him too much. They'll be a trendy pick for top tier of the conference next year.

When the teams are as evenly matched as the middle of the pack of the Big East is, games will be decided by a handful of plays. A run here and there could be too much to overcome. I think of it in terms of making one more winning play every 5 minutes is the difference between winning and losing the game. That one play can be a lot of things, but the teams that make that extra play are the ones that end up winning more than their fare share of the close games.

Reaction Score
To me, the biggest difference is St. John's moving away from a Matt Abdelmassih-led acquisition of talent from the transfer market (he's moved on to Nebraska) to a Mike Anderson led recruiting philosophy mostly made up of under-appreciated, hungry and tough high school recruits with good JuCo committs sprinkled in.

I have no freakin' clue how underrated Champagnie was out of high school, Posh (similar to Myles Powell) was underrated due to his conditioning and Wusu is like a Grant Williams clone.

Sure like any team, there are transfers on St. John's, but both guys are more of support depth players: Dunn as a microwave scorer off the bench and Toro is big depth.

Based on Anderson's short time in the Big East and the type of guys he's brought in, I expect the '21 class to be good too. If Champagnie sticks around another year, St. John's will easily be a top-half Big East team next year and a penciled in March Madness team.

Reaction Score
We should have won both the Creighton and St John’s game...
Chalk them up to: a pair of guards who aren't yet up to the UConn point guard standard: and a freshman (underrated?) tough enough to lead St. John's. Mike Anderson must be a very good judge of talent.
It's why we probably went so hard after CFJr. even though Agent Sool is on the way. One very good tough guard is not enough for our style.

Reaction Score
St John's is fun to watch. I like that group and I keep finding myself pulling for them. On another note, it seems like they are always playing. Every time on turn on the tv, St John's is playing.

Reaction Score
Really fun team to watch and easy to root for too. Love watching Posh and wusu - tough players.

Reaction Score
The Johnnie's really earned this win....they made their shots when it counted down the stretch...

Reaction Score
Shotmaking matters and 3pt shooting was a big factor in this Nova-St Johns game. Johnnies made 2 more 3s on 6 less 3pt attempts.

But the real story is that if St Johns makes shots, they're a quite dangerous team.
I think they are a for real bubble team.
Welcome to the bubble Johnnies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Mike Anderson is not a bad coach, but he's not a great coach either. His teams are exciting, they play hard, but they tend to be undisciplined. They'll have their days

Reaction Score
I hadn't followed St. Johns this year prior to playing them so I based my expectations on what I read here on the Boneyard. Naturally, I was disappointed by the loss because I didn't think they were a good team. Having seen them that night and a few times since, I've been impressed and certainly don't see it as a bad loss like I originally did. This season is crazy and with the exception of Gonzaga and Baylor, I feel almost any team is capable of knocking off another. Can't remember when I've seen so many ranked teams lose to unranked teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My hope is this win by the Johnnies will cause many of the nitwits on the Yard who went DEFCON 1 after UConn's loss to do some much needed self-reflection. But that's not the way to bet.

Reaction Score
The fact that St. John's is on a 5 game winning streak doesn't override the fact that UConn choked. Wins are at a premium this season and we lost out on one because Dan Hurley had paper hands down the stretch. It is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom