What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns?

Reaction Score
You judged him on 17 minutes??? Seriously, let Danny and the staff worry about how Samson fits in going forward.

Seriously read all my replies. Did last year count at all??? He was lost on D that’s why he didn’t play significant minutes last year that’s my point. So the answer is No I wasn’t just looking at game 1.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your deal is man, but he gets open because he moves without the ball better than virtually any freshman we have had in years. He often makes timely back cuts for open lay ups too.

I’m a johnson fan too but not sure why you are being so harsh on a player that has been such a huge positive impact to our team
5 letters...close to idiom but 1 letter off.

Reaction Score
He’s a solid shooter. But that’s literally all he can do. Plus, all of his 3’s are wide open so his percentage really should be higher. Wasn’t he supposed to have a post up game??
I'm going to guess you're very young and don't understand the game of basketball except just watching the ball go through the net.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
He’s a solid shooter. But that’s literally all he can do. Plus, all of his 3’s are wide open so his percentage really should be higher. Wasn’t he supposed to have a post up game??
UConn has a particular discipline. They give up the shot, in favor of the shooter with the better shot.

Most everyone gets a wide open 3. Where that can be engineered. Don't minimize the contribution, simply because it comes within the system.

Reaction Score
Seriously read all my replies. Did last year count at all??? He was lost on D that’s why he didn’t play significant minutes last year that’s my point. So the answer is No I wasn’t just looking at game 1.
Guys inprove from year 1 to year 2. Karaban wasnt even playing last year. Now he is starting. How is it possible that you conflate Samsons year 1 to year 2? He worked hard in the offseason spending the entirety in Storrs improving his game and body. 17 minutes isn't enough to say he is the same as he was the previous year.

Reaction Score
tonight show GIF
I'm going to guess you're very young and don't understand the game of basketball except just watching the ball go through the net.
im just seriously asking what his above average traits are that make him a starter for the #2 team in the nation. And everybody is just slamming me instead of answering.

Reaction Score
Guys inprove from year 1 to year 2. Karaban wasnt even playing last year. Now he is starting. How is it possible that you conflate Samsons year 1 to year 2? He worked hard in the offseason spending the entirety in Storrs improving his game and body. 17 minutes isn't enough to say he is the same as he was the previous year.

Like I said it wasn’t 17 minutes that I went by. Did you watch Brimah, Gaffney others not all improve. We didn’t have any college games last year to compare for Karaban so no comparison.

Let’s hope he can contribute he’s a talented kid!

Reaction Score
im just seriously asking what his above average traits are that make him a starter for the #2 team in the nation. And everybody is just slamming me instead of answering.

For one, he’s got an exceptionally high basketball IQ and is a terrific passer within the offense. If you’re saying that “literally” all he can do is shoot standstill jumpers than someone - who happens to be much nicer than I am on here - is going to suggest that you don’t have any idea what you’re watching.

Reaction Score
For one, he’s got an exceptionally high basketball IQ and is a terrific passer within the offense. If you’re saying that “literally” all he can do is shoot standstill jumpers than someone - who happens to be much nicer than I am on here - is going to suggest that you don’t have any idea what you’re watching.
Ok, I’ll give you both of those. I think he’s alright. But imo those traits are highly replaceable and inferior to somebody that is better in more impactful areas. Agree to disagree

Reaction Score
Yeah Karaban has looked like a freshman defensively in a bunch of games now. He's going to be great for us in a few years and is good offensively right now but in s a few of these games he's been a liability on the floor. We'll see if Samson is able to make a difference when he comes back.
The biggest defensive liability is the high hedge defense strategy. When Karaban got burned on D, it was often because Sanogo couldn’t recover being too far from basket, leaving Karaban in a bad position.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think that it doesn't even warrant a reply, as it's obvious to everyone he has no clue

Reaction Score
The biggest defensive liability is the high hedge defense strategy. When Karaban got burned on D, it was often because Sanogo couldn’t recover being too far from basket, leaving Karaban in a bad position.

Bingo Conndog thank you!

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game today?

I guess this is why someone would be forgiven for thinking you’re 12. How many games have you watched this season? Is this your first? Because if that’s the case I guess maybe I won’t hold such an awful take against you.

Reaction Score
I guess this is why someone would be forgiven for thinking you’re 12. How many games have you watched this season? Is this your first? Because if that’s the case I guess maybe I won’t hold such an awful take against you.
I’ve watched every minute this season. No need to be condescending.

Reaction Score
Then HooperScooper was right. You have no idea what you’re watching. It’s fine.
You’re right. Karaban is amazing. He totally didn’t get dominated today on defense. Definitely didn’t get dominated on the boards. Didn’t miss a bunch of open shots. Each of our players are the best in the country!!!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Defensively speaking he is much needed right now. Team was constructed with 1 rotation piece that matches up with a post 4. We really had no one who could matchup properly with ZF.

Reaction Score
Karaban got some pretty soft fouls called on him today where he just wasn't quite vertical enough. He seems to have a habit of jumping to contest a shot when he's perfectly positioned to draw a charge if he just plants his feet. I think that could really be the next step for him defensively, because he seems to be in a decent spot most of the time.

I do think Samson's athleticism and rebounding are on another level compared to Karaban, but it's incredibly tough to play 10 deep in conference play, so we'll have to wait and see how the minutes get distributed.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

That was part of it, but Karaban struggled otherwise too, and this hasn't been the only game where his defense wasn't up to snuff.

Reaction Score
I love what Karaban offers but he's been hunted on defense at least since the Oklahoma State game. Samson may or may not be the solution but he is another tool in the toolbox and hopefully his strengths will complement Alex's.

Reaction Score
Alex had no help on defense he was playing guys way bigger and taller straight up. Clingan would have been good to have behind him but he was collecting splinters.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He’s a solid shooter. But that’s literally all he can do.
You seem not to understand what "literally" or "all" or "literally all" mean.
I personally don’t see any “better than average” skills in Karaban.
This seems like a candid admission.
You’re right. Karaban is amazing. He totally didn’t get dominated today on defense. Definitely didn’t get dominated on the boards. Didn’t miss a bunch of open shots. Each of our players are the best in the country!!!
How do you reconcile this with your saying that there's no need to be condescending?

Literally (!), nobody has made any claims like those that you have made directly above.

Reaction Score

Kid is intelligent on the court, makes shots often (not yesterday) and will get more consistent. Never worried when he gets the ball, can pass to the interior. His defense is good but he’s not strong enough yet no doubt. To say that’s all he can do is ignorant. Maybe not a great game yesterday but he’s been good for a freshman for the majority.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t think it would be the worst thing if Alex was more around 15-18 minutes instead of 25-30. His defensive limitations are pretty apparent, and he’s admitted to feeling tired sometimes. His role shouldn’t be this big as a freshman anyways. Having Samson come in for 10-20 minutes of likely better defense should be a boost for those matchups where Alex is being dominated. Hopefully Samson can be enough of a perimeter threat to not give up too much spacing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom