What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns?

Reaction Score
It was, but it was also said that him and Hawkins was the two that stood out the most.

I don't think you're understanding exactly what happens in those secret scrimmages. They're probably less of a "scrimmage" than half of our practices. Coaches are taking a dozen timeouts, trying 35 different lineups, a bunch of different defenses. No one is TRYING to win. A green light shooter and freak athlete performing well under those circumstances is not unexpected.

I'm not saying the kid won't be a player, but I think anyone saying one way or the other is clueless. He literally hasn't played enough meaningful basketball for any of us to know what skills or talent he's got.

Reaction Score
Why are we focused on the 2023-24 season when we are 14-0 this year? LMAO

Reaction Score
Does anyone know his status as to when he might actually be back? These foot stress reactions seem to take an inordinate time to heal properly. He got injured in the first game apparently and that's been 7 weeks ago. He's been seen out of the boot but that is still no indicator of a return to action. Is he practicing at all?

Reaction Score
Let me know who those 6’10 wings were he struggled against?
Let me start by saying I love Alex, not trying to knock him. The players might have been taller than 6’10”, but he struggled against the bigs from Oregon and one other game.

He was actually really good against Dixon in the last game and better, in my mind, than Sanogo against him.

Reaction Score
PLEASE! No one take this as an invitation to begin the "Why don't we play Clingan and Sanogo at the sale time?" Time wasting game.

I can see opportunity, when we decide to play a bit smaller, to play Karaban and Johnson as twin forwards.

Against teams with smaller front courts, they could be a tough matchup
Except that Johnson is taller than Sanogo. I think Johnson looked really solid this year before injury. Last year he was a bit lost on the court but I trust that he was in the starting lineup for a reason to start this year.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know his status as to when he might actually be back? These foot stress reactions seem to take an inordinate time to heal properly. He got injured in the first game apparently and that's been 7 weeks ago. He's been seen out of the boot but that is still no indicator of a return to action. Is he practicing at all?
Unless someone is on the team, this is about as much as we know right now (from this past Tuesday).

Hurley had hoped sophomore forward Samson Johnson, who suffered a stress reaction in his right foot in the season-opener against Stonehill, might be able to return for the Villanova game. But he's not quite ready yet.

"He's doing better," Hurley reported. "He's done some non-live drills. We've just got to see how his foot progresses. But he's doing shooting and moving around a little bit. See how the foot reacts."

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Shot blocking.
Also some muscle inside to matchup with traditional 4 looks. Defensive substitution at the 4. Samson looked shredded when I saw him last. Not sold on his outside shot just yet.

Reaction Score
If you recall the Stonehill game, it seemed to me that he was lost and overwhelmed/mesmerized by the speed of the game. Not sure he would bring much to this team at this point in the season. But then again, he just might be a surprise. Is it worth the risk to insert him into a high pressure game?

Yea he looked pretty mesmerizing here

Reaction Score
I don't think you're understanding exactly what happens in those secret scrimmages. They're probably less of a "scrimmage" than half of our practices. Coaches are taking a dozen timeouts, trying 35 different lineups, a bunch of different defenses. No one is TRYING to win. A green light shooter and freak athlete performing well under those circumstances is not unexpected.

I'm not saying the kid won't be a player, but I think anyone saying one way or the other is clueless. He literally hasn't played enough meaningful basketball for any of us to know what skills or talent he's got.
All I remember is it was mentioned that Hawkins and Samson stood out. That’s all I’m saying dog lol. Nothing more nothing less. It was no coincidence he got the bud to start. That’s all I’m saying.

Reaction Score
I thought Virginia was a secret scrimmage that wasn't open to the public. Unless you were somehow there, where does this recollection come from?
My bad it was the Harvard scrimmage. Just google, they literally talk about both. Not facts, just says that them two most definitely stood out.

pj

Reaction Score
Samson adds a lot of value as depth / change of pace with Karaban. Karaban has struggled a bit playing 35+ minutes and would benefit from sharing some minutes. Meanwhile Samson gives a different look offensively and defensively that will trouble some opponents, and playing experience will be invaluable for his development. He has a very high ceiling and it will be great to see how rapidly he can progress. Huge win for the team when he comes back.

Reaction Score
Samson adds a lot of value as depth / change of pace with Karaban. Karaban has struggled a bit playing 35+ minutes and would benefit from sharing some minutes. Meanwhile Samson gives a different look offensively and defensively that will trouble some opponents, and playing experience will be invaluable for his development. He has a very high ceiling and it will be great to see how rapidly he can progress. Huge win for the team when he comes back.
Karaban is growing in confidence he doesn't need his minutes s
decreased.Johnson will have to produce each somewhere immediately to get any minutes.whether it's defensively or offensively but he has to have an immediate impact or he will be limited ..too many bodies with roles ..hope he finds his as he could be impact player just don't know where that impact will be felt..

Reaction Score
"I'm excited for when he comes back," Karaban said. "I think before the break, I was experiencing fatigue. I was tired at times. So I think him coming in and giving us a different look, offensively and defensively, will really elevate us to a different level. I'm excited for him to come back. It'll really help me out."

Alternate free link:

Injured UConn men's basketball forward Samson Johnson progressing toward return

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"I'm excited for when he comes back," Karaban said. "I think before the break, I was experiencing fatigue. I was tired at times. So I think him coming in and giving us a different look, offensively and defensively, will really elevate us to a different level. I'm excited for him to come back. It'll really help me out."

Alternate free link:

Karaban gets it!

Reaction Score

Alternate free link:

AK showing a great attitude--the right perspective- and why he's a great teammate.. Mature young man.. Glad we have him.

Reaction Score
The two biggest things he’s bringing are the ability to moderate Karaban’s minutes so he’s not burnt out by the end of the season, and a bigger body on defense for the matchups where Karaban is getting pushed around a bit.
Karaban has logged the second most minutes this season behind Newton. Sampson provides another big body in the rotation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom