What are you binge watching? | Page 34 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Invincible. It is an extraordinarily dark animated superhero coming of age tv show.

The basic premise is not unlike Sky High. Teenage son of a superman like superhero wonders whether or not he is going to get his powers. Eventually, he does and hast to learn how to use them and how to be a superhero.

One of the things I liked about it is every show gets a little bit darker. That darkening of the show is mirrored and foreshadowed by the fact that the character‘s name “invincible “shows up at the start of every show with just a little more blood splattered on it. It is an extraordinarily violent show with some mature themes in it. Think of it as Saturday morning television on Meth.
Interesting. May try it out. Side note: Sky High (the movie) was quite a lot of fun, actually. Great casting. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was a knockout.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pistol. Hulu. The origin story of the Sex Pistols. This is quite fun. Directed by Danny Boyle. The acting is really very good from almost everyone. It's based on Steve Jones' memoir Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol It's quite good at capturing the scene of London at that time, which was miserable, resulting in the rage fueled music of the punk movement. It's fascinating to see the various characters in the overall scene. Much like you find with the documentaries on Laurel Canyon in the late 60's. You've got Malcolm McClaren, who had managed the New York Dolls. You've got a pretty brunette American working in his shop, and that's Chrissy Hynde. He connects her with Mick Jones, but Jones forms a different group (The Clash). The introduction of Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious, including how they got their names, is quite fun. You've got Siouxsie Sioux, Jordan (Maise Williams), Billy Idol. Some take issue with certain details, but overall I think it paints a nice picture. Johnny Rotten wasn't a fan (he sued and lost), but the rest of the band (and Sid's estate) and Chrissy Hynde were supportive and contributed.
Finally got around to it as I wasn't sure I really wanted to understand or care about any of the characters or the story, but it's good. I didn't know about the Chrissie Hynde backstory (and Sydney Chandler, Kyle Chandler's daughter is terrific playing her, although real life Chrissie had no bewbs and Sydney's are spectacular, lol).

The actors that make up the band are mostly unknowns (to me), but every role is played excellently. Steve Jones (lead guitar) is an illiterate loner with a horrible family past, which he's allowed to define him. The Pistols is the first thing he's ever taken seriously in his life. The rest of the band all had decent, if working class, upbringings, Matlock (bass) is the most talented musician in the group, but also the least punk, Cook (drums) is torn between being responsible (finishing an apprenticeship) or being a rocker. Lydon is a sociopath publicly, but seems to love his family and his family supports his artistry, and he's a smart cookie. Sid Vicious is simply a waste. I particularly enjoyed the friction between Glen Matlock and Lydon, but I have to think that even though Lydon manipulated things to have Sid replace Matlock, he realized immediately that it was a risk and a mistake. Regardless, somehow the band becomes competent, despite feuding and artificial barriers created by their manager to elevate the chaos within the group.

Impresario Malcolm McLaren is played very broadly as mostly an egomaniac. He sucks the Pistols into his vision of them as being able to change the world, but in essence he's just another manipulative band manager. His business partner, Vivienne, is more than his equal and sees through his BS. Maisie Williams is there in a role that I guess is a harbinger of what today's "influencer" has become, but IMHO she's mostly wasted here in an unnecessary role (and also unrecognizable). Nancy is as empty a shell as Sid. They deserved each other.

By the end of the 2nd episode I found myself interested in both the characters and story, so kudos to the folks who put this together. It was a good watch, and at only six episodes, not too time consuming.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally got around to it as I wasn't sure I really wanted to understand or care about any of the characters or the story, but it's good. I didn't know about the Chrissie Hynde backstory (and Sydney Chandler, Kyle Chandler's daughter is terrific playing her, although real life Chrissie had no bewbs and Sydney's are spectacular, lol).

The actors that make up the band are mostly unknowns (to me), but every role is played excellently. Steve Jones (lead guitar) is an illiterate loner with a horrible family past, which he's allowed to define him. The Pistols is the first thing he's ever taken seriously in his life. The rest of the band all had decent, if working class, upbringings, Matlock (bass) is the most talented musician in the group, but also the least punk, Cook (drums) is torn between being responsible (finishing an apprenticeship) or being a rocker. Lydon is a sociopath publicly, but seems to love his family and his family supports his artistry, and he's a smart cookie. Sid Vicious is simply a waste. I particularly enjoyed the friction between Glen Matlock and Lydon, but I have to think that even though Lydon manipulated things to have Sid replace Matlock, he realized immediately that it was a risk and a mistake. Regardless, somehow the band becomes competent, despite feuding and artificial barriers created by their manager to elevate the chaos within the group.

Impresario Malcolm McLaren is played very broadly as mostly an egomaniac. He sucks the Pistols into his vision of them as being able to change the world, but in essence he's just another manipulative band manager. His business partner, Vivienne, is more than his equal and sees through his BS. Maisie Williams is there in a role that I guess is a harbinger of what today's "influencer" has become, but IMHO she's mostly wasted here in an unnecessary role (and also unrecognizable). Nancy is as empty a shell as Sid. They deserved each other.

By the end of the 2nd episode I found myself interested in both the characters and story, so kudos to the folks who put this together. It was a good watch, and at only six episodes, not too time consuming.
Agree with almost all of this. Evidently the relationship between Chrissie and Jones is exaggerated a bit. Agree on Ms. Chandler, she's quite a bit more attractive than Chrissie was. As for Maise Williams, she's playing "Jordan" who was a real person who really was known for what the character does. She died this spring. Note, those are prosthetics.

Side note on Chrissie Hynde. I always thought Brass in Pocket was easily the Pretenders best song. Had to look up what that phrase means. It's UK slang for having pounds, in coin form, for going out, which makes you confident or cocky. Never knew why an Ohio girl would use that phrase, but it all makes sense now.

Reaction Score
I just finished The Terminal List on Amazon Prime. Eight episode season starring Chris Pratt as a Navy SEAL out for vengeance. There are a couple of other recognizable actors in the show, including Constance Wu and Taylor Kitsch. I am a fan of Chris Pratt, but I've always enjoyed the humorous angle he took on his characters. In this show, that humor is missing. The show is good, not great and is much more action driven than character driven.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As for Maise Williams, she's playing "Jordan" who was a real person who really was known for what the character does.
I knew Jordan was real, but if you left all her scenes on the cutting room floor, you'd have the same movie.

The only scene/line she had that I felt was significant was when she stopped the two teens from going with Steve because she was "protecting the clothes". Other than that, I can't think of a thing that character brought to the proceedings.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought I saw "Love, Death and Robots" mentioned recently. Went thru Season 3 in a couple sittings. For some reason I never got thru Season 2, so now I'm going back to that. It's always hit and miss with an anthology. Many of the eps are more visually interesting than anything else. The one with the rats was a particular highlight. Also the miniature zombie apocalypse. And the river goddess thing was mesmerizing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Season 2 of Zac and Mia was also enjoyable.

Changed my mind on working thru it slowly and ended up watching both seasons of Love on the Spectrum. It continued to be extremely awkward at times, but also heartwarming. If you don't get a little teary eyed watching that, your soul is probably dead. Then I found out there was another season set in the U.S. (the original is Australian) and tried that. Couldn't get as into the U.S. version. Ended up fast forwarding thru quite a bit of it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm sure this has been discussed previously. Watched about half of Season 1 of "Space Force" last night. Really dumb, but fairly funny. John Malkovich totally owns it as an exasperated scientist putting up with a bunch of idiots around him. Steve Carell's brand of humor can wear thin on me fairly quickly. I like Diana Silvers, but she isn't given much to do here (at least so far). Yet another generic bratty teen daughter character.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Those singing scenes are simultaneously cringe and hilarious.
The funeral scene was funny.

We just rapped up Outer Range. I think I'll watch the first few episodes again. It was tiptoeing on the edge to where I ready to exit but then Perry said he was from the 1880s and I was like, "Okayyyy..." And the hook at the end with the scar on the forehead.

There has to be another season. Right?

All actors were pretty damned good in this.

Now Mrs. Dove has us two eps into "Night Sky." Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons in this one. And excellently acting. Another mind bender.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Bear on FX/Hulu. I am only three episodes in, but this show is AWESOME. It stars Jeremey Allen White (Lip from Shameless), who plays a similar character to the one he played in Shameless. The show is about a sandwich shop in Chicago run by Carmen (Jeremey Allen White) and Richard (awesomely played by Ebon Moss-Bachrach). Ayo Edebiri plays a GenZ know-it-all that can barely hold her stuff together. The show is funny and intelligent and stressful to watch. It does a deep dive into the food service industry, making it look awful to be in but also interesting to watch. All the characters are interesting. An inspector spends 3 minutes on screen and you wonder what her backstory is.

Agreed. We've watched 3 episodes and really like it. Great casting job across the board.

It is incredible. I have one recommendation though: Don't binge watch it. Let each episode stand on its own, and absorb the story and characters, and think about it for a day or two. The show is that good.

LOVE this show!! Lip Gallagher lives!!!! But here, Carmy is not a sex fiend alchy.

He becomes a top chef of a top restaurant. His estranged brother kills himself and bequeaths Carmy the family beef sandwich shop. A real hole with a staff that is entrenched in its neighborhood roots and dirty routine.

Well, in comes Carmy inheriting all of the restaurants problems. He decides the menu needs freshness, the kitchen needs order and the friction begins. Especially from his cousin, excellently portrayed by Ebon Moss Bachrach. Great ensemble cast. The machine fixer guy is hysterical...played by Matty Matheson, an actual chef and personality.

Oliver Platt appears in a few episodes.

A great watch.

Just started it.

As a former cafe owner, I would fired Tina within 48 hours and locked the cousin in the freezer. But I'm temperamental like that.

One question that stood out like a sore thumb: How come none of the parents noticed their kids were passed out on the lawn?
Just started The Bear last night and watched three episodes last night. We are heading to Chicago in October for a long weekend and have never been before, so the timing is good. We also both worked in a lot of restaurants, so a lot of this rings true. The stress is palpable. It will be hard for us to limit it to watching one episode at a time from here out, but I think that's the right call.

Tina saying "Jeff" is hysterical.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Shark Week. Don’t know who else is interested in sharks but this is Shark Week. A new (and unwelcome) change is that some episodes are only streaming on Discovery+. I signed up for two months for $1. One of the streaming episodes is focused on Cape Cod and the reaction to the fatality in Wellfleet. It’s good, even if some of the locals are annoying. There seems to be the usual level of stupid as well, with Jackass guys coming back. Fewer useless celebs, which is good. The Great White Open Ocean episode is something a bit different, perhaps unplanned, but is good TV.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is "Only Murders in the Building" totally dragging this season? Pacing just seems off, and very little has happened halfway thru the season. They are even cracking meta jokes about the superfans of the podcast being disappointed so far.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just started The Bear last night and watched three episodes last night. We are heading to Chicago in October for a long weekend and have never been before, so the timing is good. We also both worked in a lot of restaurants, so a lot of this rings true. The stress is palpable. It will be hard for us to limit it to watching one episode at a time from here out, but I think that's the right call.

Tina saying "Jeff" is hysterical.
I just finished up The Bear and I enjoyed it. In a lot of ways the first season is almost like one gigantic opening episode as they develop back stories for the various characters. I’m really looking forward to the second season.

CL82

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is "Only Murders in the Building" totally dragging this season? Pacing just seems off, and very little has happened halfway thru the season. They are even cracking meta jokes about the superfans of the podcast being disappointed so far.
I’m enjoying it. I think a lot of things have happened. We have the picture, the knife, the, I’ll call them tunnels, etc. Things are advancing. The whole Jan thing is kind of a creepy twist.

I do think that your take is the consensus though. The pace is definitely slower, but to me not distractingly so.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I dunno. I'm enjoying it as much as the first one.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m enjoying it. I think a lot of things have happened. We have the picture, the knife, the, I’ll call them tunnels, etc. Things are advancing. The whole Jan thing is kind of a creepy twist.

I do think that your take is the consensus though. The pace is definitely slower, but to me not distractingly so.
After reading comments here I've thought about watching it, but I really, really, really can't stand Martin Short when he plays typical Martin Short roles. And I really, really couldn't stand that special that Martin & Short did together. One of the least funny things I've seen in the past decade.

So, if I don't like Martin Short, and I don't like what I've seen of Steve Martin & Martin Short together, is this something I have any hope of enjoying?

CL82

Reaction Score
After reading comments here I've thought about watching it, but I really, really, really can't stand Martin Short when he plays typical Martin Short roles. And I really, really couldn't stand that special that Martin & Short did together. One of the least funny things I've seen in the past decade.

So, if I don't like Martin Short, and I don't like what I've seen of Steve Martin & Martin Short together, is this something I have any hope of enjoying?
Yes. Martin short is pretty toned down and Steve Martin plays the role relatively seriously.

Well, take that with a grain of salt, because, as I’ve noted in the movie thread, my sense of you is that you can be kind of a tough man to please. It is definitely a series that builds over. So you have to give it a few episodes.

FWIW, I mentioned it to my wife early on during the first season and she joins me during the “silent” show. (You will know it when you see it.) She wasn’t a fan but I convinced her to give one more show a shot and now she enjoys it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes. Martin short is pretty toned down and Steve Martin plays the role relatively seriously.

Well, take that with a grain of salt, because, as I’ve noted in the movie thread, my sense of you is that you can be kind of a tough man to please.
I'll give it a try. I'm out of things to watch.

I'm not all that difficult to please as evidenced by my enjoyment of watching almost anything with Jason Statham :)

I simply don't like Marvel superhero movies and believe them to be a major contributor in the downfall of civilization :p

Reaction Score
Interesting. May try it out. Side note: Sky High (the movie) was quite a lot of fun, actually. Great casting. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was a knockout.
My HS senior daughter got my wife & I into watching "Invincible". In many ways, it is like an animated version of "The Boys"

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, maybe it is just me. I often feel like television shows take too long to get where they are going.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'll give it a try. I'm out of things to watch.

I'm not all that difficult to please as evidenced by my enjoyment of watching almost anything with Jason Statham :)

I simply don't like Marvel superhero movies and believe them to be a major contributor in the downfall of civilization :p
Did you see White Lotus? I am on the last episode and I am enjoying it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was my initial problem the first season, I thought he was a bit too Martin Shorty at the beginning. But I came around and got used to the character. Now I think he's the best part of the show.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Okay, maybe it is just me. I often feel like television shows take too long to get where they are going.
I understand but I find when I truly get into a show, I find it easier to enjoy the ride. Back when I was all-in on Justified, it used to frost me when they had an excellent yet relatively self-contained episode and folks would gig it because the overall story arc didn't advance much. So what, was my attitude.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I understand but I find when I truly get into a show, I find it easier to enjoy the ride. Back when I was all-in on Justified, it used to frost me when they had an excellent yet relatively self-contained episode and folks would gig it because the overall story arc didn't advance much. So what, was my attitude.
I really enjoyed Justified. There were a number of memorable characters. I can relate to that, some eps. maybe weren't that big on action or advancing the plot, but still fun going along for the ride w/ Raylan and Co. Maybe that's my bigger issue w/ Only Murders...is that I'm not finding the characters all that interesting this season. Of all the subplots going on, I'd rather see more of Steve Martin w/ his ex almost stepdaughter (?). One episode was fairly dedicated to her, then she disappeared, then she casually popped up again in the latest one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom