What are you binge watching? | Page 30 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would catch this show if I were channel searching so I've seen many episodes but not in order. I like it, especially Gabrielle, but I don't know if I could sit through 7 seasons to binge watch it. It doesn't seem overly great enough in any particular area to keep me that interested.
So, I struggle with the “binge“ concept. Few and far between are the shows that I could sit down and watch multiple episodes of back to back. (The Reacher series on Amazon prime is one of them.). When I rewatch a series I typically watch in one episode a day maybe 3-4 days a week.

In that context I felt like Burn Notice held up. I will say that toward the end of my rewatch, the formula that they used grew a little tiring, and I don’t remember that from the original series. In Burn Notice there is one season long narrative which gets introduced for a few minutes at the beginning of every episode and then attitude for a few minutes at the end of every episode and then in the middle there is a narrative that is short term, usually only the length of one show. Weekly, it wasn’t distracting. Back to back on consecutive days, yeah kind of was toward the end.

I will say, though, that I enjoyed the rewatch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I had never watched The Walking Dead before as zombies aren't my thing. However, I started watching recently and am already into Season 4. Well worth it.
It eventually gets old. But the first few seasons are good. It’s not afraid to kill off anybody but Rick so there is always the element of surprise.

Reaction Score
So, I struggle with the “binge“ concept. Few and far between are the shows that I could sit down and watch multiple episodes of back to back. (The Reacher series on Amazon prime is one of them.). When I rewatch a series I typically watch in one episode a day maybe 3-4 days a week.

In that context I felt like Burn Notice held up. I will say that toward the end of my rewatch, the formula that they used grew a little tiring, and I don’t remember that from the original series. In Burn Notice there is one season long narrative which gets introduced for a few minutes at the beginning of every episode and then attitude for a few minutes at the end of every episode and then in the middle there is a narrative that is short term, usually only the length of one show. Weekly, it wasn’t distracting. Back to back on consecutive days, yeah kind of was toward the end.

Good point. I consider some shows binge worthy while some I just watch because I need something to do. In general, I watch 1 or 2 episodes a night. Some shows are so good though that I don't want to turn off the tv, I want to see the next episode right away, so I may go for the triple. Those are the shows I consider binge worthy and that I want to find here. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark. . .

CL82

Reaction Score
Good point. I consider some shows binge worthy while some I just watch because I need something to do. In general, I watch 1 or 2 episodes a night. Some shows are so good though that I don't want to turn off the tv, I want to see the next episode right away, so I may go for the triple. Those are the shows I consider binge worthy and that I want to find here. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark. . .

I never watched breaking bad. I have to put that on my list.

Reaction Score

I saw these recommended for fans of Sopranos, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Ozark (me):

Queen of the South (Netflix)
Bloodline (Netflix)
Weeds (Prime, Peacock)
ZeroZeroZero (Prime)

Anybody seen any of these?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I finished After Life and need a new 30 minute show while I’m rowing. Preferably with several seasons.
What do you think of After Life after finishing it? What did you think of the ending in particular?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What do you think of After Life after finishing it? What did you think of the ending in particular?
I am assuming season 3 was the end? Seemed so. It was sort of nice. Kath is way out of Pat's league, but I liked the dog bit. Liked Tony taking the money and giving some away. Helping the kids cancer center. Why he was such a moron that he didn't do that before I don't know. I'm glad Emma maybe found a guy, even though Tony's an idiot because she's great (her original hair was better though). Gotta live, and I reject the premise that there's only one person you can love in that way. The walking off scene was well done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am assuming season 3 was the end? Seemed so. It was sort of nice. Kath is way out of Pat's league, but I liked the dog bit. Liked Tony taking the money and giving some away. Helping the kids cancer center. Why he was such a moron that he didn't do that before I don't know. I'm glad Emma maybe found a guy, even though Tony's an idiot because she's great (her original hair was better though). Gotta live, and I reject the premise that there's only one person you can love in that way. The walking off scene was well done.
Yes, season 3 was the end.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, too, and missed it more than I thought I would when it was done.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yes, season 3 was the end.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, too, and missed it more than I thought I would when it was done.
I will miss it...but it felt like it had run its course. Not sure how much more he could squeeze out of that premise.

I give credit to Gervais....he doesn't overstay his welcome.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't like the first episode. I thought the dialogue was lazy and cliched, but episode 2 was much better and episode 3 was excellent.

Matthew Goode is excellent playing a complicated character, Bob Evans. Evans is a legend in the movie industry, and Goode plays it very well. If Goode was even a little off, the character would come off as a parody.

Ribisi is very good as is Juno Temple. Not crazy about Miles Teller, but he is good enough.

I really like The Offer. Really good acting and an interesting story more than compensates for dialogue that is a bit stale at times. I imagine a lot of the show is just normal "making of a movie" stuff that happens on any movie, but it is still interesting.

They should make a movie or TV series about Bob Evans, the President of Paramount Pictures. He took a nothing studio and going on one of the best runs of any studio in history from the late 60's through the mid 70's. He capped it off by getting arrested for cocaine trafficking, and then later on getting mixed up in the murder of a financer of the Cotton Club. He was married 7 times, and was the basis for both Bob Ryan character from Entourage (Martin Landau's recurring character) and Michael Douglas' character from Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The magician Dynamo (Stephen Frayne) on YouTube. If any have seen his street magic I’m curious what you think.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hacks on HBO Max. This is really good, with one exception. There is a Devil Wears Prada vibe to it with the clever young aspiring writer and the aging female comedy legend that treats her like garbage and everyone is terrified of. It plays on a lot of the same themes of sexism and generational mismatch, but Hacks has a fresh take on it. Kaitlin Olson (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) is really good as Jean Smart's daughter.

My only complaint is the lead actress for the show, Hannah Einbinder, isn't great. I can't tell if she is acting this way deliberately or she just has a lot of nervous ticks. She isn't bad enough to derail the show, but she is a little distracting.

Second season of Hacks was pretty good. Smart is excellent and Einbender gets better in the role as the series wears on. It is funny, if not exactly side-splitting funny, but it is one of the few original takes on the entertainment industry in years.

The end of Season 2 felt a little like a series finale, which would be disappointing and also surprising given how well the show has been received. The entertainer at the end of her career who still has "it" and is not ready to hang it up but the world is definitely passing her by is an interesting story, and there is a lot the show can do with these characters. HBO had dragged some shows out until there is literally nothing left to say about the characters, so I hope Hacks keeps going.

CL82

Reaction Score
I finished the last season of Killing Eve. If you are a fan of that series, it’s worth it.

I started The Great based on recommendations here. First show wasn’t bad. It’s a great role for Nicholas Hoult.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I saw these recommended for fans of Sopranos, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Ozark (me):

Queen of the South (Netflix)
Bloodline (Netflix)
Weeds (Prime, Peacock)
ZeroZeroZero (Prime)

Anybody seen any of these?I liked Bloodline a lot, bailed on Weeds 1/2 way through season 1, and haven't tried the other 2.
Loved Sopranos, BB / BCS and Ozark. I liked Bloodline a lot, but bailed on Weeds after about 6 episodes. Haven't tried the other 2.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

I got really tired of the "formula" and the feeling that I was wathing the same episode over and over. I also got pretty tired of the main character's humor after a while. So I never made it through season two.

Reaction Score

I couldn’t agree with this more. I need to finish Burn Notice and I think it’s nice to have a more episodic setup.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is also episodic and it’s nice because it’s much more simple setup. Not everything can be Game of Thrones or The Sopranos.

not a big Star Trek person but it’s easily the best Trek since The Orville.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Stranger Things Season 4 is the binge-worthy show of the moment. We re-watched Season 3 to prep and I had forgotten how much fun the show is. So many loveable losers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After 10 years, I finally decided to give Homeland a spin. I fully enjoyed the first season, and most of S2 & S3 when they focused on the CIA and not the family. I'm now into S5 and with each succeeding season, the plots become more and more ridiculous. Debating whether I should bail or go for the full eight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
After 10 years, I finally decided to give Homeland a spin. I fully enjoyed the first season, and most of S2 & S3 when they focused on the CIA and not the family. I'm now into S5 and with each succeeding season, the plots become more and more ridiculous. Debating whether I should bail or go for the full eight.

Really? I was rooting for Damien Lewis’ character to be executed by the end of his arc. I didn’t like the season in Pakistan, but other than that, I liked the last few seasons. I thought the season in Germany with the woman from Lord of the Rings was probably the show’s strongest.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We just zipped thru last stretch of Ozark with just the finale left. Wendy seems about to stroke out. Marty, he is a master at tempering stress. Love John Boy in the show. I love Ruth but find it hard to believe she is smart enough to maneuver successfully like she is.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Really? I was rooting for Damien Lewis’ character to be executed by the end of his arc. I didn’t like the season in Pakistan, but other than that, I liked the last few seasons. I thought the season in Germany with the woman from Lord of the Rings was probably the show’s strongest.s
I wouldn't argue that the Brody arc should've ended in S2. I'm still unclear on what that whole Colombian/Venezuelan thing was about... let alone how the most infamous guy on the planet could move about so freely w/o a network.

Anyway, I think I'd seen every possible way Carrie could contort her face by S4, and how it's inconceivable that Dar and Saul could possibly keep their jobs given all the backstabbing - who would possibly believe them, let alone put their lives on the line for either? The whole series is certainly not a recruitment ad for the CIA for sure. Dar just oozes slime even when he's trying to charm. Quinn is basically saving S5 and S6 on his own.

I'm now in S6 E9 and just had to reply as I've just heard the best exchange of the entire series, which in it's brevity explains how entirely ridiculous the series has become:

"Well maybe you shouldn't have been screwing a Russian mole."
"Coming from someone who screwed a guy in a suicide vest, that means a lot."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom