What are you binge watching? | Page 31 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I consider Homeland one of the Top 20 dramas in TV history, but I also acknowledge that it flirted with going completely off the rails more than any other show in the Top 20.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the first season of Lincoln Lawyer, and was pleasantly surprised. Worth checking out IMHO.

Reaction Score
Finished volume 3 of Love, Death & Robots last night. Pretty entertaining set of shorts if you’re an animation fan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watched the first season of Stranger Things. I am not a big fan of the supernatural or horror, but my son was watching so I decided to give it a try.

A few things:

1) The show is not great about following its own rules for how things happen when it comes to the super natural. This is my issue with most shows about the super natural. Stuff just happens without rhyme or reason.
2) A great cast saves what could be kind of a tedious bore of a show. The kids are all strong actors and their timing is surprisingly excellent in the scenes where they are talking over each other.
3) I like the call backs and salutes to 80's pop culture and horror trailblazers. All the scenes in the lake by the water and the characters doing obviously stupid stuff guaranteed to get them in trouble is lost on my son but is pretty funny to anyone that watched old school horror flicks. I think the plot arc between Brenner and El traces Firestarter pretty closely, although it has probably been 3 decades since I saw Firestarter.
4) Is Nancy supposed to look like a young Winona Ryder or is that a coincidence? It was disorienting the first two episodes.

Please no spoilers for season 2.

Reaction Score
Watched the first season of Stranger Things. I am not a big fan of the supernatural or horror, but my son was watching so I decided to give it a try.

A few things:

1) The show is not great about following its own rules for how things happen when it comes to the super natural. This is my issue with most shows about the super natural. Stuff just happens without rhyme or reason.
2) A great cast saves what could be kind of a tedious bore of a show. The kids are all strong actors and their timing is surprisingly excellent in the scenes where they are talking over each other.
3) I like the call backs and salutes to 80's pop culture and horror trailblazers. All the scenes in the lake by the water and the characters doing obviously stupid stuff guaranteed to get them in trouble is lost on my son but is pretty funny to anyone that watched old school horror flicks. I think the plot arc between Brenner and El traces Firestarter pretty closely, although it has probably been 3 decades since I saw Firestarter.
4) Is Nancy supposed to look like a young Winona Ryder or is that a coincidence? It was disorienting the first two episodes.

Please no spoilers for season 2.
I'm all caught up through Season 4 right now, love the show and would say this.....

You can't go into this trying to follow some set of supernatural rules. The beauty of the show is the cast and the production of how they capture that era of pop culture (in lives and on screen). There are always little nuggets that pay homage to movies from that time (Never Ending Story, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc) and always stuff like the tupperware pitcher my mom had on a counter in a scene.

I have watched it all with my daughter (now 18) and watching it with her, experiencing and explaining what some of the easter eggs are has been really cool. So, enjoy it with your kid and loosen up. Eleven is the best.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm all caught up through Season 4 right now, love the show and would say this.....

You can't go into this trying to follow some set of supernatural rules. The beauty of the show is the cast and the production of how they capture that era of pop culture (in lives and on screen). There are always little nuggets that pay homage to movies from that time (Never Ending Story, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc) and always stuff like the tupperware pitcher my mom had on a counter in a scene.

I have watched it all with my daughter (now 18) and watching it with her, experiencing and explaining what some of the easter eggs are has been really cool. So, enjoy it with your kid and loosen up. Eleven is the best.
Agree with you. As for pop culture, am I the only one who notices that it is slightly off, or mistimed? Those horrific bowl cuts for example, yes, we had those in the 70s, but they were long gone by the 80s. Steve the Hair, sure, except at that point the trend was to shorter hair and preppy (not for all, but definitely for Homecoming King types). He's got 1978 hair. Nancy dresses like an old lady. Never saw that in the 80's in high school. Jordache Jeans came in and those super long cardigan sweaters for girls.

Love the show, but they cobbled together styles and pop culture from what seems like a 12-15 year period, probably to maximize the nostalgia for a broader audience. It doesn't ruin anything, the show is still great fun. It's just something I notice now and then. The cast is just an amazing bunch of lovable losers. Kids and adults alike.

Reaction Score
Agree with you. As for pop culture, am I the only one who notices that it is slightly off, or mistimed? Those horrific bowl cuts for example, yes, we had those in the 70s, but they were long gone by the 80s. Steve the Hair, sure, except at that point the trend was to shorter hair and preppy (not for all, but definitely for Homecoming King types). He's got 1978 hair. Nancy dresses like an old lady. Never saw that in the 80's in high school. Jordache Jeans came in and those super long cardigan sweaters for girls.

Love the show, but they cobbled together styles and pop culture from what seems like a 12-15 year period, probably to maximize the nostalgia for a broader audience. It doesn't ruin anything, the show is still great fun. It's just something I notice now and then. The cast is just an amazing bunch of lovable losers. Kids and adults alike.

Yeah. I guess. I can’t argue your points. I feel like it’s so long ago it all smooshes in enough to work. I do like Mikes wardrobe in season 4 and Lucas’ high top fade.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I consider Homeland one of the Top 20 dramas in TV history, but I also acknowledge that it flirted with going completely off the rails more than any other show in the Top 20.
So I finished up yesterday. Throughout the last episode I'm wondering how any of this is happening given one of the main characters is charged with conspiracy to assassinate the president, yet is out on bail and free to move about, including out of state, with nobody watching them. It was a OK storyline, but c'mon, that lack of surveillance is simply ridiculous.

Anyway, I did like the Linus Roache character. And if one ever wanted to see Jon Stewart in a dramatic role, well, Linus took care of that for you.

Reaction Score
I saw these recommended for fans of Sopranos, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Ozark (me):

Queen of the South (Netflix)
Bloodline (Netflix)
Weeds (Prime, Peacock)
ZeroZeroZero (Prime)

Anybody seen any of these?
Bloodline (2015-2017)
3 seasons, episodes 13, 10, 10
Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini, Sissy Spacek, Sam Shepard
I'm still in season 1 of 3 and it's OK. It has some interesting plots and they give you glimpses into the past and into the future so you sort of know what to expect and where it's going. It moves kind of slow but the glimpses keep me intrigued.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bloodline (2015-2017)
3 seasons, episodes 13, 10, 10
Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini, Sissy Spacek, Sam Shepard
I'm still in season 1 of 3 and it's OK. It has some interesting plots and they give you glimpses into the past and into the future so you sort of know what to expect and where it's going. It moves kind of slow but the glimpses keep me intrigued.

Season 1 of Bloodline is excellent. I lost interest halfway through the second episode of season 2.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Season 2 of Only Murders in the Building coming the end of June. Not sure if some will only be cameos or new regular characters, but I saw Michael Rapaport, Cara Delevigne and Amy Schumer in the trailer.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Three episodes in on Made for Love and I am not sure what to think. I really like Cristin Miloti which is why I watched, but I feel like with this cast and this premise should be a lot funnier that it is. The tech industry is a really easy target, as Mythic Quest and Silicon Valley have proved, and the cast is solid, so why is this show just "meh". Am I missing something?

Started Peaky Blinders Season 6. The downside of this show is that I have to pay close attention to what is happening. The upside is that it is really good. Weirdly, I don't like Anya-Taylor Joy in this show. I think she was just miscast. Arthur, on the other hand, is played perfectly by Paul Anderson and is one of my favorite characters in any crime show.

Reaction Score
Season 1 of Bloodline is excellent. I lost interest halfway through the second episode of season 2.
I am on season 2 episode 3 and I will say, it almost seems like they wrote the script for 1 season. But I will carry on. John Leguizamo has entered the fray so I'm giving it a chance.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
not a big Star Trek person but it’s easily the best Trek since The Orville.
FTR, someone who actually isn't "a big Star Trek person" would've never considered watching The Orville nor have a clue about what other Trek series were out there since.

Stranger Things Season 4 is the binge-worthy show of the moment. We re-watched Season 3 to prep and I had forgotten how much fun the show is. So many loveable losers.
I had to go all the way back to S1 as when I started watching S4, I had no clue what was going on. So went back to S3 and still had no memory of how they got there. Repeat and repeat again until it made sense.

Anyway, I wonder if a GenX or GenZ can relate to the concept of kids being allowed to ride their bikes all over creation and stay out till all hours with little to no parental supervision :p

First time I've seen Uma's kid in anything. Man, she looks like mom. I see a solid future as a comedic actress, maybe even follow mom into action flicks. Steve has grown on me, and Dustin is getting better - it's the stuff he does when camera isn't focused on him that's really impressive. The Russian prison sub-plot is, well, entirely ridiculous, even in the context of a entirely ridiculous series premise. But I guess it's all about suspending belief, right?

Now onto S6 of Peaky Blinders I guess.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, 15 plus years later, I finally watched Sopranos and finished last week.

I had some basic knowledge of the ending scene and the ambiguities of it. After watching all the way through I think it was the viewer who got whacked. Through all the seasons with dialogue and filming so many gangsters got shot in back of the head with a bullet and their life ended in the blink of an eye. The show finishes with the viewer getting whacked and that was that.

On a side note, absolutely couldn't stand Tony's son AJ. From start to finish his character was irritating more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Well, 15 plus years later, I finally watched Sopranos and finished last week.

I had some basic knowledge of the ending scene and the ambiguities of it. After watching all the way through I think it was the viewer who got whacked. Through all the seasons with dialogue and filming so many gangsters got shot in back of the head with a bullet and their life ended in the blink of an eye. The show finishes with the viewer getting whacked and that was that.

On a side note, absolutely couldn't stand Tony's son AJ. From start to finish his character was irritating more than anything else.
not the sharpest tool but he had some good lines.

Reaction Score
FTR, someone who actually isn't "a big Star Trek person" would've never considered watching The Orville nor have a clue about what other Trek series were out there since.

I had to go all the way back to S1 as when I started watching S4, I had no clue what was going on. So went back to S3 and still had no memory of how they got there. Repeat and repeat again until it made sense.

Anyway, I wonder if a GenX or GenZ can relate to the concept of kids being allowed to ride their bikes all over creation and stay out till all hours with little to no parental supervision :p

First time I've seen Uma's kid in anything. Man, she looks like mom. I see a solid future as a comedic actress, maybe even follow mom into action flicks. Steve has grown on me, and Dustin is getting better - it's the stuff he does when camera isn't focused on him that's really impressive. The Russian prison sub-plot is, well, entirely ridiculous, even in the context of a entirely ridiculous series premise. But I guess it's all about suspending belief, right?

Now onto S6 of Peaky Blinders I guess.

Oh shut up. I haven’t watched a branded Star Trek show since The Next Generation. Everything else gets abysmal reviews.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh shut up. I haven’t watched a branded Star Trek show since The Next Generation. Everything else gets abysmal reviews.
So if these aren't Star Trek spinoffs or related, why even mention Star Trek?

A truly non-Trek person would be me. My entire knowledge of TNG is from memes posted here :D

Reaction Score
I just finished the first season of Bosch Legacy on FreeVee (formerly IMDB TV). It is basically a continuation of the Bosch show that ran for a few seasons on Amazon Prime. So if you enjoyed Bosch, you will enjoy Bosch Legacy. I am a big fan of Michael Connelly and have read all the Harry Bosch books, so I am a good target audience for them. It's a good show, not great, but entertaining enough to be worthwhile. Definitely captures the spirit of the books.

Reaction Score
I just finished the first season of Bosch Legacy on FreeVee (formerly IMDB TV). It is basically a continuation of the Bosch show that ran for a few seasons on Amazon Prime. So if you enjoyed Bosch, you will enjoy Bosch Legacy. I am a big fan of Michael Connelly and have read all the Harry Bosch books, so I am a good target audience for them. It's a good show, not great, but entertaining enough to be worthwhile. Definitely captures the spirit of the books.

Funny. I just started Bosch. Prettay Good. Prettay Prettay Good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Peaky Blinders Season 6. Great ending to one of the best television series of all time.

Reaction Score
Peaky Blinders Season 6. Great ending to one of the best television series of all time.
Wild to think that Mosley was within 100 votes from beating Neville Chamberlain. Could've been a much different world today.

Reaction Score
Just finished up S4E7 of Stranger Things. Wow, what a great episode. Ties a lot back to the very beginning when 011 escaped the lab. Super hyped for the last couple episodes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pistol. Hulu. The origin story of the Sex Pistols. This is quite fun. Directed by Danny Boyle. The acting is really very good from almost everyone. It's based on Steve Jones' memoir Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol It's quite good at capturing the scene of London at that time, which was miserable, resulting in the rage fueled music of the punk movement. It's fascinating to see the various characters in the overall scene. Much like you find with the documentaries on Laurel Canyon in the late 60's. You've got Malcolm McClaren, who had managed the New York Dolls. You've got a pretty brunette American working in his shop, and that's Chrissy Hynde. He connects her with Mick Jones, but Jones forms a different group (The Clash). The introduction of Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious, including how they got their names, is quite fun. You've got Siouxsie Sioux, Jordan (Maise Williams), Billy Idol. Some take issue with certain details, but overall I think it paints a nice picture. Johnny Rotten wasn't a fan (he sued and lost), but the rest of the band (and Sid's estate) and Chrissy Hynde were supportive and contributed.

Reaction Score
I've said for a while that I can't think of a better example of "nailing the casting" like they did with the actor that plays Bosch. Just a perfect representation of who and what he represents in the books. Legacy was a bit of a disappointment so far, we are 3 eps in - doesn't quite have the same tone - something is off. It's not major, just something that keeps it from matching the original. Also would like to see more appearances from his old partner Jerry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom