What are you binge watching? | Page 22 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
To all the other stuff I've been trying out, I added in "The Mick." I watched it during its original run, but that's been several years ago. I enjoyed it then, maybe even more 2nd time around. The back and forth between Kaitlin Olson and Sofia Black-D'Elia is great.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Man Seeking Woman" is something quite interesting. Surrealist and absurdist. Jay Baruchel got dumped by his long time girlfriend. He's trying to adjust to life as a single, and get back out there in the dating scene. He constantly gets bad advice from his bestie, played by Eric Andre, and usually bad advice from his well meaning but meddlesome sister. The show takes fairly ordinary or mundane scenarios and then just runs with them as far as the imagination can go. Some clever sight gagas. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's on the raunchy side, so if that's not your thing, skip it.

I unintentionally found the perfect companion piece to it--"Dollface." It's basically the same thing, except from the female perspective. In this case Kat Dennings plays the main character. It's not as raunchy, but shares the surreal and absurd. Also she's more focused on reconnecting with her girlfriends she lost touch with rather than starting dating again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking For Alaska was an enjoyable read, I really think they nailed the casting on the series. Really hit most of the tenor of the book.
It dragged in the middle a little bit for me, but I finished it. Dang, last 2 episodes were brutal. They set it up well to feel the emotional impact at the end.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Binged Reacher and The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window.

With Reacher, casting might have gone a bit overboard with Alan Ritchson as the lead. He's just one huge muscle. Took a while to take to him in the character as he seemed robotic at first, but he got better. Willa Fitzgerald is wonderful. Eight episodes to do the one book (The Killing Floor) was about right for character and plot development. I enjoyed the book and I enjoyed this miniseries. Don't know how many other books they'll try to do, but I might binge this one again down the road.

As to TWINTATSFTGITW, I'm a Kristen Bell fan. Loved her in The Good Place and as a regular guest on Craig Ferguson. She's got both comedic and dramatic chops and does a nice job here. As I understand it, the storyline is supposed to be a bit of a goof on the horror genre. Bell's character has a bunch of idiosyncrasies that make appear to be crazy, and her story of witnessing a murder unbelievable. And Bell can sell that. The supporting cast isn't all that great - it's Bell's to make or break whether you'll like it or not. And the ending fight climax has a twist you won't see coming. If you're a Bell fan, watch. If not, give it a try for a couple episodes and see if it takes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window.

As to TWINTATSFTGITW, I'm a Kristen Bell fan. Loved her in The Good Place and as a regular guest on Craig Ferguson. She's got both comedic and dramatic chops and does a nice job here. As I understand it, the storyline is supposed to be a bit of a goof on the horror genre. Bell's character has a bunch of idiosyncrasies that make appear to be crazy, and her story of witnessing a murder unbelievable. And Bell can sell that. The supporting cast isn't all that great - it's Bell's to make or break whether you'll like it or not. And the ending fight climax has a twist you won't see coming. If you're a Bell fan, watch. If not, give it a try for a couple episodes and see if it takes.
Just finished this. Guess I feel a little better if it was supposed to be a spoof because it was freaking ridiculous.

Bell is good but there were more laugh out loud moments for me than anything else.

I will get a lot of mileage out jokes from this.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Binged Reacher and The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window.

With Reacher, casting might have gone a bit overboard with Alan Ritchson as the lead. He's just one huge muscle. Took a while to take to him in the character as he seemed robotic at first, but he got better. Willa Fitzgerald is wonderful. Eight episodes to do the one book (The Killing Floor) was about right for character and plot development. I enjoyed the book and I enjoyed this miniseries. Don't know how many other books they'll try to do, but I might binge this one again down the road.

Just finished this. Guess I feel a little better if it was supposed to be a spoof because it was freaking ridiculous.

Bell is good but there were more laugh out loud moments for me than anything else.

I will get a lot of mileage out jokes from this.
As I think more about it, I’m surprised I didn’t appreciate the intended spoof more while I was watching. I mean even the title should have been a clue. Everything it about it was ridiculous now that I think about it, right down to the glasses of wine (which started to make me feel nauseated thinking about drinking that much). And the manipulation was more over the top than ”The Undoing” or “Mare of Eastown,” but similar.

It may be genius.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lost in Space, Netflix. I probably mentioned it before but season 3 is out now. There are some really good adaptations of the original story. Parker Posey is a great Dr. Smith. Just some really good stories, with a solid cast. Toby Stephens seems to be good in everything. I think it worked out that the kid playing Will Robinson grew a foot across three seasons. The end of season 3 works as an end or teaser. I liked it.

Reaction Score
Just finished Astrid on Prime/PBS. Great show! I going to start it over again at episode 1. A French production in French with English captions. For some reason though, I find most French shows have really high production values that lose nothing watching then with English captions. I actually prefer the captions to dubbing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just started “Yellowjackets” on Showtime last night based on recommendation from the woman who cuts my hair. Two episodes in and will continue watching, even though it’s clearly going to get very disturbing in a Lord of the Flies or Alive type way. Premise is a high school girls’ soccer team from New Jersey in 1996 heading to play in nationals when their plane crashes in the middle of the wilderness. It is now 2021 and those who survived are reconnecting because someone is trying to uncover their story. Juliette Lewis is as strange as ever, as is Christina Ricci.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Binged latest 6-ep season of After Life with Ricky Gervais. It's 6 half hour shows that are an acquired taste. One highlight are all the absolute oddball characters. They're all likeable blokes. Many laughs but then, you could fall asleep.

We just watched two Murderville. The lols we're plentiful. The concept is solving murders via improv comedy. Lead detective is Will Arnette who gets a guest partner each show. That guest has not been scripted. We watched the Conan OBrien and Kamail Nanjiani eps. Very funny.

Reaction Score
Binged latest 6-ep season of After Life with Ricky Gervais. It's 6 half hour shows that are an acquired taste. One highlight are all the absolute oddball characters. They're all likeable blokes. Many laughs but then, you could fall asleep.

We just watched two Murderville. The lols we're plentiful. The concept is solving murders via improv comedy. Lead detective is Will Arnette who gets a guest partner each show. That guest has not been scripted. We watched the Conan OBrien and Kamail Nanjiani eps. Very funny.
"blokes"? Sometimes you really make it hard to like you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pam & Tommy on Hulu is exactly what you expect it to be through 2 episodes, but it is very entertaining. Strongly recommend it so far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pam & Tommy on Hulu is exactly what you expect it to be through 2 episodes, but it is very entertaining. Strongly recommend it so far.
I keep seeing adds for it. I had no idea who were playing the 2 leads so I looked it up. It's Lily James and Sebastian Stan. Amazing what hair and makeup can do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I keep seeing adds for it. I had no idea who were playing the 2 leads so I looked it up. It's Lily James and Sebastian Stan. Amazing what hair and makeup can do.

Lily James is getting all the press for it and is good, but Sebastian Stan does a great job as Tommy Lee.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Lily James is getting all the press for it and is good, but Sebastian Stan does a great job as Tommy Lee.
In the clips I've seen, it's hard to watch Lily being so digitized. Just major CGI going on and it is distracting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
City on a Hill. Just started this. Kevin Bacon is good so far. When you marry a Boston girl, you're likely to consume any Boston focused stories. Not far into it yet, but this seems to coincide with the Whitey Bulger era and the crooked cops and feds have an element of realism. Renewed for Season 3.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Inventing Anna (Netflix) is promising through 2 episodes. This is a really good take on the total vapidity and stupidity of the rich and pointless. Arian Moayed (aka Stewy from Succession) is quickly becoming one of my favorite character actors.

Reaction Score
City on a Hill. Just started this. Kevin Bacon is good so far. When you marry a Boston girl, you're likely to consume any Boston focused stories. Not far into it yet, but this seems to coincide with the Whitey Bulger era and the crooked cops and feds have an element of realism. Renewed for Season 3.
There is a thread on here somewhere for this show. Came to it late myself.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really a binge watch per se, but I’m looking forward to the last season of Killing Eve.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched "The Mick" while it was airing several years ago. Just finished binging the series again. It was a bit up and down, but had some great moments. One thing I'll say is that the main cast was all totally committed to it. Some really good physical comedy throughout. The funniest bits were so wrong, kinda felt guilty for laughing. Benny giving black eyes to all of his uncool classmates because he thought it would make them more popular (thanks to one of Jimmy's many terrible ideas) and Jimmy and Sabrina getting in a knock down drag out brawl with the women's junior national soccer team were among those inspired wrongness.

Reaction Score
I binge watched S1 of The Righteous Gemstones and I really do love that show. This is the best show that crew has ever done and I don’t think they can top. As always, national treasure John Goodman is freaking perfect.

Siv

Reaction Score
I enjoy shows that take me to a specific time and place.
Currently in season six of Seaside Hotel (PBS Masterpiece through Prime) Set in Denmark in the late 20's- 30's Very good
Just finished- All Creatures Great and Small- another PBS show which was perfect for our times.
Also, Shtisel on Netflx was excellent

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not sure "binging" applies, but watched the first 3 episodes of Our Flag Means Death. This is a comedy series from the often brilliant Taika Waititi (who plays Blackbeard). Set in 1717, it applies some fictional absurdity to the Pirate era, focused on Stede Bonnet, a real pirate who was landed gentry and set off to become a pirate. So far, it isn't as funny as Things we do in the Shadows. But it was getting better by episode 3 so we will stick with it. Joel Fry is in it, along with Kristian Nairn (Hodor).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom