Whaley/Polley/Carlton Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whaley/Polley/Carlton Watch

Reaction Score
I keep forgetting that. What exactly is the rule? If Whaley comes, his scholarship doesn't count? Its essentially a free roster spot?
Any of the seniors that return to their original team won't take up a scholarship for next season. They're still on scholarship so UConn has to pay, but won't count against the 13 player limit

Reaction Score
Is their star from Ollie's last year a grad transfer by now? Somebody from that team burned us. Maybe he wants to come to UConn and make amends.
Maybe we can petition the NCAA to give Prince Ali another year.

Reaction Score
whaley's even shown an improving outside game and if that could take another step forward...
it's not nearly good enough. we need a volume 40% 3 pt shooter at stretch 4 since our other two forwards are aj and sanogo. those two plus whaley = the worst shooting frontcourt in the BE by a mile.

apparently we still wont accept the fact that the only way to get better is with shooters!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Believe it or not , Whaley is my guy, but if we could only keep one out of 3 next year , it’s Polley. Just from team need standpoint. Polley and Whaley would be ideal though.
No offense but that’s crazy. You’re basically hoping Polley reverts to his pre-injury form from three, because I think we can agree that the huge majority the time, Polley does very little besides make threes or be a threat to make threes.

He shot 35% this year, and that number is propped up by the Marquette/Butler/DePaul stretch when he was on complete fire. He shot 30% in the other 20 games. That‘s just straight up poor.

Obviously all the shots count, and he basically won us those 3 road games which was beyond huge for our tournament resume, so I don‘t discount the value. I‘d just rather have a Brendan Adams if he’s going to shoot threes like Brendan Adams 85-90% of the time.

I think people are going to be very surprised how much our defense suffers from losing Whaley.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These aint transfers. Pay attention.
They kind of are though right? They all have another year of eligibility. I just think it’s bad form talking about guys who have worked so hard for us. Let’s wait and see what their decisions are. Just my opinion though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No offense but that’s crazy. You’re basically hoping Polley reverts to his pre-injury form from three, because I think we can agree that the huge majority the time, Polley does very little besides make threes or be a threat to make threes.

He shot 35% this year, and that number is propped up by the Marquette/Butler/DePaul stretch when he was on complete fire. He shot 30% in the other 20 games. That‘s just straight up poor.

Obviously all the shots count, and he basically won us those 3 road games which was beyond huge for our tournament resume, so I don‘t discount the value. I‘d just rather have a Brendan Adams if he’s going to shoot threes like Brendan Adams 85-90% of the time.

I think people are going to be very surprised how much our defense suffers from losing Whaley.
Polley is a 40% 3 shooter. Yeah we don’t need that.

Reaction Score
What the hell happened to not talking about people coming back or not?

We didn't talk about players transferring out. Putting aside that that rule made sense 15 years ago but probably no longer does, we're not talking about players transferring out. We're talking about whether college graduates come back for an extra year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My attitude all along has been to sell the following to the three of them.

Free start on a master's degree, stay on team, enjoy the college life as a real senior year. Practice and have no pressure for playing time. If there are injuries or a wildly underperforming player, we'll throw you in.

Think the Bill Walton or ML Carr on the Celtics. Wave the towel, give some old sage advice and play as needed.
There is nobody coming in or returning that has the attributes that IW gave this team
If he comes back he will be on the court

Reaction Score
Polley is a 40% 3 shooter. Yeah we don’t need that..
Yeah, he was all the years except this one, where he was bad. So like I said, you’re hoping he gets back to his pre injury form. It’s comical to choose that over a year of Whaley.

CL82

Reaction Score
We didn't talk about players transferring out. Putting aside that that rule made sense 15 years ago but probably no longer does, we're not talking about players transferring out. We're talking about whether college graduates come back for an extra year.
Respectfully, that’s a distinction without a difference. We’re talking about kids who have eligibility and then saying well I don’t want kid X or kid Y back. I get it there’s wiggle room for saying that that is allowed. I still think it’s a crappy thing to do. But hey you do you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

they didn’t run anything for him . And he was 2-5
And was horrific on defense. And didn‘t rebound. He’s really the one guy I don’t want back because he is so limited.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Respectfully, that’s a distinction without a difference. We’re talking about kids who have eligibility and then saying well I don’t want kid X or kid Y back. I get it there’s wiggle room for saying that that is allowed. I still think it’s a crappy thing to do. But hey you do you.

The rule, as I understand it, was that it was off limits during the season but fair game off season. In this case I agree with BL anyway. The question would be around Adams, who is also graduating.

Reaction Score
We need to obtain 2 more shooters/scorers for next season and give them plenty of playing time. Cole isn’t really a pg who sets up shooters and that will frustrate some guys when they don’t get the ball when they are open on their spot. But, today’s game is really equally about quick ball movement and hopefully putting that weave to bed.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We need to obtain 2 more shooters/scorers for next season and give them plenty of playing time. Cole isn’t really a pg who sets up shooters and that will frustrate some guys when they don’t get the ball when they are open on their spot. But, today’s game is really equally about quick ball movement and hopefully putting that weave to bed.

Sure, but guys who can score off motion or off the dribble. Not set shooters like Polley. In short, dynamic players. I think Gaffney can be that.

Reaction Score
it's not nearly good enough. we need a volume 40% 3 pt shooter at stretch 4 since our other two forwards are aj and sanogo. those two plus whaley = the worst shooting frontcourt in the BE by a mile.

apparently we still wont accept the fact that the only way to get better is with shooters!
Perhaps you didn't read the rest of my post but having Whaley back and improving our 3-point shooting are not mutually exclusive events. Nobody is questioning that we need another one if not two shooters but if the defensive player of the year wants to come back he'll have a spot on the roster and will see plenty of court time.

Reaction Score
Agree about quick ball movement.

Need to penetrate, have guys relocate off ball, and kick out to shooters. Anticipate D rotation and beat the rotation with the skip pass or look off dump.

Reaction Score
I didn’t talk about them leaving. But sure — attack me for what I don’t say and say that is me being me.

CL82

Reaction Score
I didn’t talk about them leaving. But sure — attack me for what I don’t say and say that is me being me.
I didn’t attack you, I just told you my opinion which differs from yours.

Reaction Score
I’d like to bring in Fatts and keep Whaley. I’d also like a 6’5” sharpshooter hat can find his own shot now and then.

Polley and Carlton are both useful, but Whaley is a beast.

Reaction Score
Sure, but guys who can score off motion or off the dribble. Not set shooters like Polley. In short, dynamic players. I think Gaffney can be that.
I've never seen someone hype a guy for going 2-5 from three while doing absolutely nothing else the way August is hyping Polley. There were some stretches Polley looked like a true sharpshooter in the past couple of years but he never sustained it, Cole and Gaffney both shot a better percentage from three than him this season and Polley unfortunately does nothing other than shoot threes.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you didn't read the rest of my post but having Whaley back and improving our 3-point shooting are not mutually exclusive events. Nobody is questioning that we need another one if not two shooters but if the defensive player of the year wants to come back he'll have a spot on the roster and will see plenty of court time.
i disagree- having whaley return as our starting PF and not having the worst shooting frontcourt in the BE is indeed mutually exclusive.

as i said in another post, if whaley is happy with being sanogo's backup then by all means welcome back, but i doubt he'd agree to that role when he could be the starting C on another p6 team

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom