Week of 3/11/24 Games (Conference Tournaments) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week of 3/11/24 Games (Conference Tournaments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Impressive win by St Mary's considering how Gonzaga has been playing
I don't want to see St Marys as an 8/9 seed in our region

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
I think St. Mary's is going to be seeded somewhere between 4-6 just like last year when they were seeded #5-they won't be seeded #8 or #9. They went 15-1 in the WCC and beat Gonzaga 2 out of 3 times. They have wins over Colorado St., New Mexico, and UNLV. They lost to Xavier, however. Interestingly enough, even though they are West Coast Conference team, they played against 5 Mountain West teams this year going 3-2.

Reaction Score
Have there been any court stormings since Scheyer cried about banning them.
only some scattered showers inside Cameron, that I know of

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken Quinnipiac, Fairfield and Yale still have a shot at an auto so there is a small chance of CT getting three teams in. Hope at least 2. Sadly CCSU got upset.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t mind avoiding BYU. They can get hot in a hurry from three and Khalifa is a fun player to watch - but probably not fun to play against.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t mind avoiding BYU. They can get hot in a hurry from three and Khalifa is a fun player to watch - but probably not fun to play against.
Yeah, those three-point heavy teams scare me. Not a great shot to go all the way, but if they’re hot, they can stay in any game.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I put a futures bet on them at +10000 under the premise that they were arguably our toughest game in the tournament last year and might’ve been tougher without the injury—and they returned a bunch of good players.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken Quinnipiac, Fairfield and Yale still have a shot at an auto so there is a small chance of CT getting three teams in. Hope at least 2. Sadly CCSU got upset.
Yeah I am lamenting CCSU's blown chance of making the NCAAT. :(
Hopefully, 2 will get in the NCAAT like you said. It would be nice if Quinnipiac and Fairfield met in the finals of the MAAC tournament which would ensure at least some other Connecticut team would get in besides UConn.

Reaction Score
I put a futures bet on them at +10000 under the premise that they were arguably our toughest game in the tournament last year and might’ve been tougher without the injury—and they returned a bunch of good players.
Interesting bet. I was confident in UConn beating St. Mary's even though the beginning of that game wasn't great. UConn was only down 1 when Dukas had to leave and Dukas for the last 10 minutes of game time he played did nothing.

I think UConn's toughest match was the finals against SDSU. I will admit I got really nervous when SDSU cut the lead to 5 points with 5 minutes left in the second half. The game was legitimately in doubt where as the other 5 games were not. Thank the Basketball Gods that Hawkins made that 3 pointer to push the lead to 8. That 3 pointer was one of the biggest in UConn's history along with Rashad Anderson's 3 pointer in 2004 against Duke which cut the 8 point deficit to 5 (75-67 to 75-70) with under 3 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Honestly bad job by Larranaga this year. Tried to play the same style with worse players and Pack had a down year.

They had no PG so turned it over a bit, didn't get ORebs since they played small aside from Omier with a stretch 4 who didn't crash, and played a lot of 1v1 ISO with pull up jumpers so didn't draw a ton of fouls.

They had good shooters and shot well generally, but If you're not generating an advantage on 3 of the 4 factors, then you're not schemed well. Plus defense is still bad, which is both scheme and personnel.
It's so interesting observing the trajectory of the 4 Final Four teams, who all overachieved in the Tournament last year. My hypothesis was that those teams are usually overrated the following year. Results:

UConn: even better this year and exceeded expectations
SDSU: about the same as last year (5 seed) and in line with expectations
FAU: about the same as last year (9 seed), below expectations
Miami: fell off a cliff and well below expectations

Reaction Score
Wichita State did not in fact die in the AAC with 52 points in the first half, but Rice is racing back.

Reaction Score
Well, we know who our first round opponent is now…because the committee loves those types of storylines.
I was so annoyed last year when they did the incredibly predictable thing and manipulated seed lines to stick us with Iona/Pitino in Albany.

Reaction Score
Wichita State did not in fact die in the AAC with 52 points in the first half, but Rice is racing back.
Rice can get hot or not score for 10 minutes, so who knows.

Reaction Score
I was so annoyed last year when they did the incredibly predictable thing and manipulated seed lines to stick us with Iona/Pitino in Albany.
I thought manipulation occurred when Providence was matched up against Kentucky, Brice Hopkins' former team. I have a hard time believing that match up organically happened.

Reaction Score
Kansas is a 2.5 dog to a NIT team.
Just shows that they are nothing w/o their top 2 players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas is a 2.5 dog to a NIT team.
Just shows that they are nothing w/o their top 2 players.
I think Vegas knows they aren’t really trying to win. But certainly a team with no depth isn’t very good down it’s two best players.

Reaction Score
Georgetown's Epps has 25 points right now with 13 minutes left. MVP!!!

Poor rutgers getting beaten like a black knight.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think Vegas knows they aren’t really trying to win. But certainly a team with no depth isn’t very good down it’s two best players.
'splain, please?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Syracuse with 16 turnovers as they're down 18 with 6 minutes to go against 10 seed NC St
But someone here said they were gonna beat Duke...

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
PeeCee beating Cooley again is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads