Week 8 Big Games Jan 3-8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 8 Big Games Jan 3-8

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In fairness, Creighton was the first non-P5 team not named UConn to make the Elite Eight in over half a decade, so it's not like some skepticism of these teams' ultimate trajectories is not unwarranted. While I tend to think, on a one off basis, that you're right to note how mid-majors can be overlooked, on the whole I don't think the focus on the P5 is misplaced overall.
A country club perspective. The Poser Five's honor must be defended from the rabble! Just like Kentucky did when they beat South Carolina and then promptly lost to Princeton. "No nights off" and "It just means more." Oh wait ...

Btw Big East isn't a mid major.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In fairness, Creighton was the first non-P5 team not named UConn to make the Elite Eight in over half a decade, so it's not like some skepticism of these teams' ultimate trajectories is not unwarranted. While I tend to think, on a one off basis, that you're right to note how mid-majors can be overlooked, on the whole I don't think the focus on the P5 is misplaced overall.
Uh/oh! You done did it now! You said the P-word to Plebe.

Big East always has at least one present member team in the top 8 seeds so it’s gotta be a P-6.( @Plebe and I will argue about selection protocols in late February)

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm here at the Duke Wake game.. And they have the nerve to have free BEAT DUKE t-shirts to hand out to fans. :mad: Apparently these tobacco road schools don't like us That much. :eek:

Of course, being who I am... I grabbed one..

Reaction Score
I didn’t have them in my top25. It was all about them being undefeated . I did catch a couple of their nonconference games. Imo FSU is the team that deserves to be ranked.

Side note: both Creighton and ST John’s lost so the Big East could end up work 1 ranked team next Monday.
St. John’s is still one of only ONLY 25 teams who AS MANY, or more, Quad I wins as total losses. I would have them ranked somewhere between 20 and 25 - for now

Reaction Score
A country club perspective. The Poser Five's honor must be defended from the rabble! Just like Kentucky did when they beat South Carolina and then promptly lost to Princeton. "No nights off" and "It just means more." Oh wait ...

Btw Big East isn't a mid major.
It’s P-6

Reaction Score
Virginia and VTech tonight. Love me some instate rivalries and UVA looks like they have some pride this year!

Reaction Score
Miami knocks off North Carolina. UNC falls to 0-3 in conference play.

Keke Palmer Cringe GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Reaction Score
UNC proving me wrong so far, my expectations may have been too high. NC State down nearly double digits against BC as Duke continues to roll along... FSU has been a nice surprise as well. I expect the ACC race to continue to surprise and be tight come season end.

Edit: forgot to include UVA-Virginia Tech, Hokies hold a tight lead

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Virginia and VTech tonight. Love me some instate rivalries and UVA looks like they have some pride this year!
I tried tuning in. Im from the east coast, I bought a package for the ACC network. And I'm getting blacked out. That's kinda insane to me. Anyways good win for VTech without Kitley.
UNC reminds me a bit of Tennessee. Disappointing but they can bounce back.
It was good to see, atleast according to box scores that Diamond Johnson is back. I'm kinda not surprised state is having some issues.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nothing like a post victory foot long carolina style with pimento cheese hot dog and fries from Kermit's in Winston Salem. The only thing missing was a Cheerwine (decided on Dr Pepper)

@The deacon What do you know about Kermit's?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Miami knocks off North Carolina. UNC falls to 0-3 in conference play.

That's a shame.
UNC proving me wrong so far, my expectations may have been too high. NC State down nearly double digits against BC as Duke continues to roll along... FSU has been a nice surprise as well. I expect the ACC race to continue to surprise and be tight come season end.

Edit: forgot to include UVA-Virginia Tech, Hokies hold a tight lead

You should have listened to me in the pre-season :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And they have ND Sunday......

After ND..... on the road vs UVA.... then back to back home games vs State and the group from Durham. (Not NCCU)

ron.gif

Not a great day for the North Carolina schools, looks like NC St is about to fall to Boston College

Well it was a great day for the two North Carolina Schools that matter the most. Duke, and UNC-G (My Spartans)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Count me as another who gave UNC way too much credit before the season started. Holy cow, they might the biggest disappointment in all of wcbb thus far. Maybe Littlefield was way more valuable to them last season than I realized. But at least Haley Cavinder had a nice game for the Canes, seems like she has plenty of doubters on this stie.

Keeping it in the ACC, Van Lith is quietly putting together a really nice season as the Ville has slipped off the radar.

Reaction Score
How about that Duke program!? Another great win. Coach Lawson doing great things with that Duke program. And to think, folks were writing her off as a coach, after her 2nd year! Here we are in Year Three and Duke and Coach Lawson are making some noise. I am so happy for Coach Lawson and what she is building at Duke. Keep it going, Coach!!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Count me as another who gave UNC way too much credit before the season started. Holy cow, they might the biggest disappointment in all of wcbb thus far. Maybe Littlefield was way more valuable to them last season than I realized. But at least Haley Cavinder had a nice game for the Canes, seems like she has plenty of doubters on this stie.

Keeping it in the ACC, Van Lith is quietly putting together a really nice season as the Ville has slipped off the radar.
I watched the UNC - Miami game to "scout" UNC for the Sunday game at Chapel Hill. ND had a tough game against Miami, too, I might add, but pulled out a tight victory. What made this one perplexing is that Destiny Harden, perhaps Miami's best player, didn't suit up for the game!

UNC just looks out of sync to me. There's a lot of fine parts there -- Kelly, Todd-Williams, Utsby -- but everything seems a tad off. Maybe Littlefield, with her vast experience with Banghart, was the quarterback/coach on the floor. All I know is the Irish will face a desperate team on Sunday afternoon.

I then switched over to GT vs Louisville and the Cardinals probably lose that game if Hailey Van Lith doesn't have the game she did. Carr is up and down like east coast weather and Jones isn't a consistent force, either. As for GT, the fact that both Hermosa and Cameron Schwarz are coming off the bench speaks volumes.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I tried tuning in. Im from the east coast, I bought a package for the ACC network. And I'm getting blacked out. That's kinda insane to me. Anyways good win for VTech without Kitley.
UNC reminds me a bit of Tennessee. Disappointing but they can bounce back.
It was good to see, atleast according to box scores that Diamond Johnson is back. I'm kinda not surprised state is having some issues.
Looks like they're having trouble adjusting to not having both the long (Cunane) and short (Perez) of it.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Marquette goes to Chicago and beats DePaul, 72-63, without starting forward and rebounding leader Liz Karlen in the lineup.
So, undersized forward (wing, at best) Chloe Marotta grabs 9 rebounds, has 4 assists and scores 18 points to back up guard Jordan King's 23 points and 9 assists.

DePaul gets 24 points (10-27 shooting) and 15 rebounds out of Morrow, while Anaya Peoples had 14 points (4-6) and Kendall Holmes had 9 (3-12 shooting, 1-6 from three).

Coach Duffy gets it done on the road.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nothing like a post victory foot long carolina style with pimento cheese hot dog and fries from Kermit's in Winston Salem. The only thing missing was a Cheerwine (decided on Dr Pepper)

@The deacon What do you know about Kermit's?
Wait, what? Your team dismantles Wake in the 4th quarter to win by 10 then you have the audacity to ask their staunch supporter about an eatery after you ate there? That's cold...You should have asked before going...:D

Reaction Score
I watched the UNC - Miami game to "scout" UNC for the Sunday game at Chapel Hill. ND had a tough game against Miami, too, I might add, but pulled out a tight victory. What made this one perplexing is that Destiny Harden, perhaps Miami's best player, didn't suit up for the game!

UNC just looks out of sync to me. There's a lot of fine parts there -- Kelly, Todd-Williams, Utsby -- but everything seems a tad off. Maybe Littlefield, with her vast experience with Banghart, was the quarterback/coach on the floor. All I know is the Irish will face a desperate team on Sunday afternoon.

I then switched over to GT vs Louisville and the Cardinals probably lose that game if Hailey Van Lith doesn't have the game she did. Carr is up and down like east coast weather and Jones isn't a consistent force, either. As for GT, the fact that both Hermosa and Cameron Schwarz are coming off the bench speaks volumes.
Crazy. I saw Schwarz last year in person against NC State and was really impressed. I thought she had a lot of potential. But she has struggled this season. Its a bummer if this is her last season.

I agree about North Carolina. They kinda remind me of the Oregon teams prior to this year and post Sabrina, in that they had a lot of good pieces but for some reason it didn't click. I have a theory that it's tough when u don't know ur role or the pecking order. Also sometimes it falls on ur best player.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Your team dismantles Wake in the 4th quarter to win by 10 then you have the audacity to ask their staunch supporter about an eatery after you ate there? That's cold...You should have asked before going...:D
Ha! The Dookie and man-about-food and I have traded comments on various types of eateries in and around Winston-Salem since my younger son went to Wake Forest a few years back. I'm very familiar with Kermit's. We chowed down there the afternoon after his graduation before we took the long trip home to northern NJ.

Here's a menu, btw.

Reaction Score
Columbia vs. Princeton a fantastic game to watch today. Columbia with a great chance to knock Princeton back another peg in the race to the Ivy title which has belonged to the Tigers for some time after the Tigers lost to the Crimson to open the campaign.

Pac-12 with some good battles tonight too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom