Week 8 Big Games Jan 3-8 | The Boneyard

Week 8 Big Games Jan 3-8

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There are 29 games involving ranked opponents this week, 6 games with both teams being ranked and then there is Tennessee vs. Vandy for many of us. Add in the 3 UConn games not included (this is the General Board) and we have quite a bit of interesting action this week. I have included the time and Network listing.
Tuesday-Jan 3TimeNetwork
23Baylor@ 17Oklahoma
7:00 PM​
ESPN+
Penn State@ 14Michigan
1:00 PM​
Wednesday-Jan 4
24St. John's@ Seton Hall
Providence@ 25Creighton
West Virginia@ 11Iowa State
7:30 PM​
BIG12|ESPN+
Texas Tech@ 21Kansas
8:00 PM​
BIG12|ESPN+
Thursday-Jan 5
Virginia@ 9Virginia Tech
ACCNX
Boston College@ 10NC State
ACCNX
Texas A&M@ 7LSU
9:00 PM​
SECN
San Francisco@ 20Gonzaga
Friday-Jan 6
18Oregon@ Arizona State
PAC12
SMU@ Memphis
ESPN+
8Utah@ Colorado
PAC12
Oregon State@ 15Arizona
10:00 PM​
PAC12
Saturday-Jan 7
Michigan State@ 13Maryland
16Iowa@ 14Michigan
4:30 PM​
FOX
Santa Clara@ 20Gonzaga
5:00 PM​
23Baylor@ 21Kansas
BIG12|ESPN+
Sunday-Jan 8
Illinois@ 3Ohio State
Tennessee@ Vanderbilt
SECN
7LSU@ Kentucky
2:00 PM​
Xavier@ 24St. John's
Virginia@ 10NC State
3:00 PM​
ACCNX
11Iowa State@ 17Oklahoma
ESPN2
4Notre Dame@ 22North Carolina
4:00 PM​
ACCN
Marquette@ 25Creighton
CBSSN
USC@ 12UCLA
PAC12
2Stanford@ California
PAC12
18Oregon@ 15Arizona
ESPN2
6Indiana@ Northwestern

Reaction Score
Thanks for assembling this list.

There's a lot of opportunity for turbulence in the rankings this week.

If either of the ranked BE teams loses this week, then I imagine they'll fall out of the rankings

If Virginia beats Virginia Tech, then Tech ought to fall into the 20s

If Arizona falls to Ore St, there ought to be both a fall and maybe an entry to the rankings

Iowa - Michigan looks like an excellent matchup, though the result might not affect the rankings much because they're so even.

Baylor - Kansas ought to send someone packing

Arizona has another chance to take a fall in the Northwest against Oregon

Oklahoma will either be exposed by Iowa St, or expose them

The other really fascinating game is ND - UNC. ND ought to win handily, but if UNC manages to stand up to them, it will be a major comeuppance for the Irish.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

If either of the ranked BE teams loses this week, then I imagine they'll fall out of the rankings

If Arizona falls to Ore St, there ought to be both a fall and maybe an entry to the rankings

Iowa - Michigan looks like an excellent matchup, though the result might not affect the rankings much because they're so even.

The other really fascinating game is ND - UNC. ND ought to win handily, but if UNC manages to stand up to them, it will be a major comeuppance for the Irish.
The Arizona Oregon State/Oregon games are in Arizona, not the Northwest.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The St. John's vs. Seton Hall game will be one to take an interest in as SJU is still undefeated and will play UConn next Wed. SH is talented but has not been as consistent as I would have thought with a very experienced and senior laden team. This will be a good win for either and will help establish the pecking order of teams 2-7 in the BE among SJU, Creighton, SH, Marquette, Villanova and DePaul (who plays Marquette tonight). These are the BE top 7 and the bottom 4 are truly terrible. So while Butler has a 1st year coach who is already making strides what about Georgetown with Howard in year 6, PC with Crowley in year 7 and Xavier with Moore in year 4?

Reaction Score

Oklahoma exposed last night. Baylor won in Norman 81-70. Sarah Andrews scored 30 points.

Reaction Score
Keep an eye on Utah at Colorado Friday night. The Buffs have a major home court advantage (as does Utah when in SLC) and have been playing pretty well. Road losses to Tennessee and Utah but two road wins against the Washingtons. This is a rivalry game of sorts.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Keep an eye on Utah at Colorado Friday night. The Buffs have a major home court advantage (as does Utah when in SLC) and have been playing pretty well. Road losses to Tennessee and Utah but two road wins against the Washingtons. This is a rivalry game of sorts.

So you are saying that when Utah and Colorado meet, throw out the record books?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The St. John's vs. Seton Hall game will be one to take an interest in as SJU is still undefeated and will play UConn next Wed. SH is talented but has not been as consistent as I would have thought with a very experienced and senior laden team. This will be a good win for either and will help establish the pecking order of teams 2-7 in the BE among SJU, Creighton, SH, Marquette, Villanova and DePaul (who plays Marquette tonight). These are the BE top 7 and the bottom 4 are truly terrible. So while Butler has a 1st year coach who is already making strides what about Georgetown with Howard in year 6, PC with Crowley in year 7 and Xavier with Moore in year 4?
St. John's travels to Walsh gymnasium to play Seton Hall, while Marquette heads south to Wintrust to play DePaul.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma exposed last night. Baylor won in Norman 81-70. Sarah Andrews scored 30 points.
Andrews is a baller and hard to stop when she is on. My other favorite stat also that she had zero turnovers on top of that in 36 minutes of play and with how much she handled the ball.

She stepped up big time yesterday

Reaction Score
Andrews is a baller and hard to stop when she is on. My other favorite stat also that she had zero turnovers on top of that in 36 minutes of play and with how much she handled the ball.

She stepped up big time yesterday
Yes, Sarah is a very skilled player and is pretty much unstoppable when she is on. We definitely need her, particularly with Ajiah and Dree not playing now.

Reaction Score
It looks bad for St Johns, down by 20+ to Seton Hall in the 4th

Also looks like Creighton is in danger of losing to Providence in the final seconds, down by 4

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Just as I thought. Overrated St Johns had no business being in the Top 25. Maybe the coaches will wake up and drop Creighton now.
I didn’t have them in my top25. It was all about them being undefeated . I did catch a couple of their nonconference games. Imo FSU is the team that deserves to be ranked.

Side note: both Creighton and ST John’s lost so the Big East could end up work 1 ranked team next Monday.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Big East certainly is competitive.

From 2-11.

I didn’t have them in my top25. It was all about them being undefeated . I did catch a couple of their nonconference games. Imo FSU is the team that deserves to be ranked.

Side note: both Creighton and ST John’s lost so the Big East could end up work 1 ranked team next Monday.

Six people on here picked them (the big east) as the best conference :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There are 29 games involving ranked opponents this week, 6 games with both teams being ranked and then there is Tennessee vs. Vandy for many of us. Add in the 3 UConn games not included (this is the General Board) and we have quite a bit of interesting action this week. I have included the time and Network listing.
Tuesday-Jan 3TimeNetwork
23Baylor@ 17Oklahoma
ESPN+
Penn State@ 14Michigan
Wednesday-Jan 4
24St. John's@ Seton Hall
Providence@ 25Creighton
West Virginia@ 11Iowa State
7:30 PM​
BIG12|ESPN+
Texas Tech@ 21Kansas
BIG12|ESPN+
Thursday-Jan 5
Virginia@ 9Virginia Tech
ACCNX
Boston College@ 10NC State
ACCNX
Texas A&M@ 7LSU
SECN
San Francisco@ 20Gonzaga
Friday-Jan 6
18Oregon@ Arizona State
PAC12
SMU@ Memphis
ESPN+
8Utah@ Colorado
PAC12
Oregon State@ 15Arizona
10:00 PM​
PAC12
Saturday-Jan 7
Michigan State@ 13Maryland
16Iowa@ 14Michigan
4:30 PM​
FOX
Santa Clara@ 20Gonzaga
23Baylor@ 21Kansas
BIG12|ESPN+
Sunday-Jan 8
Illinois@ 3Ohio State
Tennessee@ Vanderbilt
SECN
7LSU@ Kentucky
Xavier@ 24St. John's
Virginia@ 10NC State
ACCNX
11Iowa State@ 17Oklahoma
ESPN2
4Notre Dame@ 22North Carolina
ACCN
Marquette@ 25Creighton
CBSSN
USC@ 12UCLA
PAC12
2Stanford@ California
PAC12
18Oregon@ 15Arizona
ESPN2
6Indiana@ Northwestern
Why did you leave all the SC games off the schedule?

Reaction Score

He was specific about leaving out South Carolina games, and this is the General Basketball Forum, not the Specific Basketball Forum???

:cool:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I copied the list from ESPN and while I was a bit curious why I didn't see SC listed, I didn't spend "extra time" looking for their games. You know when they play and while an oversight, it was not intentional though now that I see I have irked a few of you I may continue that...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I copied the list from ESPN and while I was a bit curious why I didn't see SC listed, I didn't spend "extra time" looking for their games. You know when they play and while an oversight, it was not intentional though now that I see I have irked a few of you I may continue that...:rolleyes:
Not irked. Just curious.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
LOL

Okay @TheFarmFan you win this round

:oops:
you need to calm down taylor swift GIF

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just as I thought. Overrated St Johns had no business being in the Top 25. Maybe the coaches will wake up and drop Creighton now.
Sounds like someone is still bitter because Creighton destroyed his two favorite teams from Iowa last March.

The narrative that has been tested and approved by the poser 5 conferences following any upset is: "Wow! The <insert conference name> is so incredibly deep! There are no nights off in the <insert conference name>!" So I'll go with that narrative here.

Wow! The Big East is so incredibly deep! There are no nights off in the Big East!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Sounds like someone is still bitter because Creighton destroyed his two favorite teams from Iowa last March.

The narrative that has been tested and approved by the poser 5 conferences following any upset is: "Wow! The <insert conference name> is so incredibly deep! There are no nights off in the <insert conference name>!" So I'll go with that narrative here.

Wow! The Big East is so incredibly deep! There are no nights off in the Big East!
In fairness, Creighton was the first non-P5 team not named UConn to make the Elite Eight in over half a decade, so it's not like some skepticism of these teams' ultimate trajectories is not unwarranted. While I tend to think, on a one off basis, that you're right to note how mid-majors can be overlooked, on the whole I don't think the focus on the P5 is misplaced overall.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Bitter? Who me?

20220621_112326.jpg

Yeah... I'm still bitter :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99