Week 12 - Jan 22 to 28 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 12 - Jan 22 to 28

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Wednesdays! Not a loaded schedule but some really close and exciting games tonight.

Oklahoma for the first time all year looked like a Jennie Baranczyk–coached team. Just completely unrecognizable from the mediocre and erratic team I'd seen all season. OU got hot from 3 and that opened up the floor for them, and they stayed on the front foot all game. Texas made a late charge but OU, appropriately, splashed a huge 3 for the dagger.

Maryland looked in control almost the entire game and was up 9 with only 3:00 left. Michigan ended regulation on a 9-0 run and then won in overtime in an improbable sequence. With the score tied with 0:03 left in OT, Maryland's inbounds pass sailed out of bounds to turn the ball over. Phelia then got fouled on a drive with less than a second on a clock. Hit both FTs and that was game.

Villanova led by 15 at the half but Providence came storming back to send the game to overtime and eventually win. What's that I hear? Yes, say it with me: No. Nights. Off.

Creighton held off a feisty Georgetown team, hitting big buckets down the stretch to hold off the Hoyas by 5. (Did I remember to say "no nights off"?)

Now for my thoughts on my Coogs' performance against the Lady Raiders: [censored]

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
On the Nova-Providence game, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who saw this game (on the lovely fan-friendly network FloHoops). Box score shows Nova was called for 28 fouls compared to only 10 fouls for Providence. Three Nova players (including Olsen) fouled out.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nova committed 28 fouls (3 players fouled out, 2 had 4), Providence 10 fouls. Providence scored 27 points via FTs, Nova 4.

Oops...duplicating what @Plebe just posted...

Reaction Score
In the Big East, #21 Creighton squeaks by Georgetown.

Final score: 77-72
I am a little surprised at how close this game was but hats off to Georgetown and Coach Haney. They are playing some pretty competitive ball. A gritty win by Creighton.

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Wednesdays! Not a loaded schedule but some really close and exciting games tonight.

Oklahoma for the first time all year looked like a Jennie Baranczyk–coached team. Just completely unrecognizable from the mediocre and erratic team I'd seen all season. OU got hot from 3 and that opened up the floor for them, and they stayed on the front foot all game. Texas made a late charge but OU, appropriately, splashed a huge 3 for the dagger.

Maryland looked in control almost the entire game and was up 9 with only 3:00 left. Michigan ended regulation on a 9-0 run and then won in overtime in an improbable sequence. With the score tied with 0:03 left in OT, Maryland's inbounds pass sailed out of bounds to turn the ball over. Phelia then got fouled on a drive with less than a second on a clock. Hit both FTs and that was game.

Villanova led by 15 at the half but Providence came storming back to send the game to overtime and eventually win. What's that I hear? Yes, say it with me: No. Nights. Off.

Creighton held off a feisty Georgetown team, hitting big buckets down the stretch to hold off the Hoyas by 5. (Did I remember to say "no nights off"?)

Now for my thoughts on my Coogs' performance against the Lady Raiders: [censored]
Gotta say, I feel like more and more I’m enjoying watching all the in-conference matchups regardless of whether or not teams are ranked. Some blowouts (Ball State handed Miami (OH) a beat down tonight!) but overall it’s been entertaining.

Reaction Score
Gotta say, I feel like more and more I’m enjoying watching all the in-conference matchups regardless of whether or not teams are ranked. Some blowouts (Ball State handed Miami (OH) a beat down tonight!) but overall it’s been entertaining.
Cinderella will be at the Ball this year. Has a mid-major ever won it all?

Reaction Score
Cinci upsets Okla St, their first win against a legacy B12 team
Duquesne hands Richmond its first A10 loss
MichSt crushes Purdue to move to 14-5, 4-4 -- not bad start for first-year coach Robyn Fralick

Reaction Score
Not to my knowledge. Perhaps prior to the start of the NCAA tourney, if that counts.

Reaction Score
Wandering Lobos rolling.....

Wins over Wyoming, #25 UNLV and Fresno State tonight

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, D1 newcomer Le Moyne is #1 in their conference, NEC. I’ll be at their game tomorrow night against Merrimack (and watching all the other games on my phone at the same time). They’ve already beaten Merrimack once, so I’m hoping Merrimack will show up with revenge on their minds and wanting to make it a close game!

This will be the first Le Moyne game I’ll have ever seen (in person or otherwise). Their court is basically a glorified HS gym, but at least that means I get to be close to the action. :D

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not sure that the concept of “mid-major” was as relevant back then, but Louisiana Tech won the inaugural NCAA Tournament in 1982 and again in 1988. Old Dominion won it in 1985.

The old AIAW championship was initially dominated in the 1970s by Immaculata College and Delta State, both of which are now D2 schools.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In A-10 action, 1st place Richmond suffered their first conference loss at the hands of Duquense 72-59.

In Big South action... High Point squandered a double digit 2nd half lead and loss at home to USC-Upstate 59-49

Plebe

Reaction Score
In A-10 action, 1st place Richmond suffered their first conference loss at the hands of Duquense 72-59.

In Big South action... High Point squandered a double digit 2nd half lead and loss at home to USC-Upstate 59-49
1706159976815.png

Reaction Score
Maryland was up 15 at halftime, lost in OT to Michigan.
That's HARD work...on Maryland's part.
For context, while I still have to finish the 4th and OT quarters, I believe the ejections of Hansen and McDaniel had an impact, especially for Maryland. They got tied up during a jump ball situation and it got a tad more feisty than it needed to be. Refs made the right call in my opinion as both players could be seen swinging at each other.

Maryland's depth isn't great and McDaniel has been a key cog for the team. It may not fully explain why Maryland struggled late in the game but that's my suspicion at the moment.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thursday is my birthday, and I am contemplating attending the NC State/Clemson game that evening; it's about an hour drive for me to Littlejohn. Weather forecast is for showers and thunderstorms...and I'm at an age now I don't feel 100% comfortable driving on wet roads, especially the poorly-maintained and poorly-lighted rural roads. Will be monitoring and will make a decision Thursday afternoon... but this is the closest I'll get to actually seeing NC State play live this season. I've attended the last two games when NC State traveled down here. I couldn't think of a better birthday present than having NC State play at a high level while I'm in attendance, and getting a road W.

The downside is...if I go, then I'll miss all of the hoopla (pardon the pun) about South Carolina's much-anticipated visit to Baton Rouge...and even if I record the game, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to go the whole evening without score updates being announced in Littlejohn.
You have to go to the GAME! For Pete's sake, this is your team that made us all cognizant of your fandom. You can still enjoy watching LSU beating the Gamecocks when you get home to see how it came about! Go to the game. Heck I drive 70 minutes to Hartford and 95 minutes to Storrs to see all their games (and that's without traffic!). Enjoy yourself and go.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
GM hoop fans! Another day of some tasty matchups, as long as my ACCN, PAC12, ESPNU stations don't decide to be "unavailable" again. Grr.
It amazes me that Peacock (owned by NBCUniversal) has the rights to some B1G10 games, especially when the B1G10 Network's majority owner is Fox Sports.
But I digress. Back to the OP.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that Peacock (owned by NBCUniversal) has the rights to some B1G10 games, especially when the B1G10 Network's majority owner is Fox Sports.
But I digress. Back to the OP.

The BIG10's new TV contract is between Fox, NBC and CBS. No different than what the pro leagues have done (e.g. NFL).

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The BIG10's new TV contract is between Fox, NBC and CBS. No different than what the pro leagues have done (e.g. NFL).
Ok. I only noticed the Peacock games this season, actually in the last couple of weeks. But it could also be because I usually don't pay attention to the B1G10 games.

Reaction Score
The main event tonight, of course, is SC-LSU. I'm expecting SC to deliver not necessarily a blowout, but a clear win by a sizable margin -- in the 15-20 range. If I'm wrong about this one, I'll have to rethink a lot of my assumptions going into this season. My prediction, hazy though it may be, is SC 86 - LSU 68.

I think SC's guards are more than capable of containing LSU's, and they are likely to run them ragged given the depth of Dawn's bench. And in my view the front court matchups heavily favor SC. Angel thrives when she's bigger than the opponents and struggles against mobile bigs. Dawn will have Kamila concede the outside jumper to Angel or maybe have Watkins or Kitts switch out on her. Kamila is capable of shutting down everything else in the paint. And Watkins, Kitts and Feagin are more than enough to completely frustrate Morrow. We might even see Jah and Walker get some good minutes before the 4th quarter. Foul trouble will not be a problem for SC, but it may well be for LSU.

And the final intangible: the game is @ LSU. This may be one of those rare moments when the home court isn't an advantage. The pressure is entirely on LSU to avoid being embarrassed at home. The noise of the home crowd may well inspire SC to even greater efforts -- and the silence, if they bust the game open on the first half, even more so. If I were Dawn, I might tell my team, "You hear all those boos? That's how you know you're doing great."

Reaction Score
Ok. I only noticed the Peacock games this season, actually in the last couple of weeks. But it could also be because I usually don't pay attention to the B1G10 games.
Fair. One thing to note, from what I"ve observed this deal could be a huge boost to NCAAW coverage over the next few years. Heck, the potential of seeing CBS broadcast a women's game nationally feels like I'm back in the 90s because they seemed to be the only network I could watch games as a teen.

There have been a few times where NBC has had Iowa games on at the same time as ESPN/ABC. Can see this expanding once the PAC12 teams joining the conference start playing next season.

Reaction Score
The main event tonight, of course, is SC-LSU. I'm expecting SC to deliver not necessarily a blowout, but a clear win by a sizable margin -- in the 15-20 range. If I'm wrong about this one, I'll have to rethink a lot of my assumptions going into this season. My prediction, hazy though it may be, is SC 86 - LSU 68.

I think SC's guards are more than capable of containing LSU's, and they are likely to run them ragged given the depth of Dawn's bench. And in my view the front court matchups heavily favor SC. Angel thrives when she's bigger than the opponents and struggles against mobile bigs. Dawn will have Kamila concede the outside jumper to Angel or maybe have Watkins or Kitts switch out on her. Kamila is capable of shutting down everything else in the paint. And Watkins, Kitts and Feagin are more than enough to completely frustrate Morrow. We might even see Jah and Walker get some good minutes before the 4th quarter. Foul trouble will not be a problem for SC, but it may well be for LSU.

And the final intangible: the game is @ LSU. This may be one of those rare moments when the home court isn't an advantage. The pressure is entirely on LSU to avoid being embarrassed at home. The noise of the home crowd may well inspire SC to even greater efforts -- and the silence, if they bust the game open on the first half, even more so. If I were Dawn, I might tell my team, "You hear all those boos? That's how you know you're doing great."
I agree with all of this but the final intangible. There is no pressure on this LSU team imo even at home. Mulkey definitely has them in the underdog, who cares if we lose mindset based on all her pregame interviews.

I don't think it will matter and I see LSU losing by 25+.

Reaction Score

I agree with all of this but the final intangible. There is no pressure on this LSU team imo even at home. Mulkey definitely has them in the underdog, who cares if we lose mindset based on all her pregame interviews.

I don't think it will matter and I see LSU losing by 25+.
You guys are killing me here. I wanna believe but it's just not my nature. The glass is half empty - and always looks like it's leaking as we approach nearer to tip off.

Gameday
Whiteout
Liquored up Corndogs will be screaming obscenities at our players, coaches and fans (but offer all gamecocks good food and drink before and after.).

Oh Lawd! My innards feel watery.

Reaction Score
You guys are killing me here. I wanna believe but it's just not my nature. The glass is half empty - and always looks like it's leaking as we approach nearer to tip off.

Gameday
Whiteout
Liquored up Corndogs will be screaming obscenities at our players, coaches and fans (but offer all gamecocks good food and drink before and after.).

Oh Lawd! My innards feel watery.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm the same way before every UConn game, even against the lowliest BE opponent.
"Something could go wrong!!!!!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom