Week 11 preview (Jan. 17-23) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 11 preview (Jan. 17-23)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I should add, I've been critical of Cochran this year, but she was very good today.

In a little cautionary tale of putting too much stock in statistics (I'm often guilty of that, I'll admit it), Diamond Johnson was only 6-19 shooting but she absolutely won this game for NC State and was fantastic in Q4. Overall not a great game, but she was great when it really counted.
The entire team picked up the 3 point scoring in the 4th, led by Diamond, as you posted...(I am basing this on one of the shooting stats that ESPN displayed in the 4th quarter)

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Wow. Brenda was quite vocal earlier in the year that hers was going to be a defensive team this year. If this is her version of defense, there's nothing I can do to help her back to reality.
Brenda wasn't at tonight's game, so maybe that's why the team lacked defense....:eek::rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's just crazy their output in Q4 nearly equaled Q1-3 combined.

Louisville's D can make teams look really bad, but the Wolfpack hung in there and then got red hot in the final frame. The Ville just completely fell apart simultaneously, NC State can play some D as well.
That 4Q comeback/collapse must have broken a record or two, but I'm still impressed that Louisville built such a large lead at Raleigh over 3 quarters of play. Hopefully these two teams will have a rematch in the ACC final.

One particularly (ahem) wise poster declared Louisville to be "the most overrated team ever" after losing to Arizona in an unappealing overtime game in the first week of the season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That's just crazy their output in Q4 nearly equaled Q1-3 combined.

Louisville's D can make teams look really bad, but the Wolfpack hung in there and then got red hot in the final frame. The Ville just completely fell apart simultaneously, NC State can play some D as well.
I just finished watching. I'm not sure the last time I've seen both a surge like NCState's and a collapse like Louisville's at the same time.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Brenda wasn't at tonight's game, so maybe that's why the team lacked defense....:eek::rolleyes:
They haven't had defense all year. Ranked 99th by Massey before tonight's game. Their defense looks no better to me than it did last year. I've seen quite a bit of them before the last two games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I just finished watching. I'm not sure the last time I've seen both a surge like NCState's and a collapse like Louisville's at the same time.
Yeah it was something. If Louisville had hit a few buckets in Q4 it would've gone down to the wire, but they were just dead in the water once that come back started.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
So how many more losses does Maryland have to have before they leave the TOP 25? Same with Kentucky.
Maryland should not leave the top 25 as all of their losses have been to ranked or RV teams. Kentucky should be gone.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bruins easily win the first round of the Battle of LA 66-43. Another good game for Thomas. No Penn. Only 7 played for UCLA. USC...haven't done much since knocking off Arizona. I think Jordyn Jenkins has become their most consistent player.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Cal Baptist beats Tarleton 85-69

Another night at the office for Olaeta

Reaction Score
Diamond Johnson was only 6 of 19 for the game, but she was unstoppable in the 4th quarter. Either Rebecca or Holly said that Jeff Walz warned his team at the start of the 4th that Diamond was going to take over the game. I guess the team didn't listen, because Diamond made the whole Louisville team appear to be moving in slow motion.

Reaction Score
Diamond Johnson was only 6 of 19 for the game, but she was unstoppable in the 4th quarter. Either Rebecca or Holly said that Jeff Walz warned his team at the start of the 4th that Diamond was going to take over the game. I guess the team didn't listen, because Diamond made the whole Louisville team appear to be moving in slow motion.
It was Holly and the prediction was bang on. Man what a 4th quarter she had.

Reaction Score
I'm hearing rumours that she's going to be away for an extended period of time. They're going to need to figure it out. Depending on how long Friese is gone, they could be without her when they face Michigan, Iowa and OSU.
They haven't had defense all year. Ranked 99th by Massey before tonight's game. Their defense looks no better to me than it did last year. I've seen quite a bit of them before the last two games.
I agree @Bigboote . Maryland isn't committed to defense. And if they would, man that would be scary.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'm hearing rumours that she's going to be away for an extended period of time. They're going to need to figure it out. Depending on how long Friese is gone, they could be without her when they face Michigan, Iowa and OSU.

I agree @Bigboote . Maryland isn't committed to defense. And if they would, man that would be scary.
I thought that the game announcers said that Brenda's father passed and she was away dealing with that.

Reaction Score
I thought that the game announcers said that Brenda's father passed and she was away dealing with that.
Yes, however it could be longer than what most people may assume. Personally, she deserves all the time she needs to deal with this but not everyone gets that kind of flexibility unfortunately.

For myself, I was entitled 3 full days off for bereavement when my father passed and any additional time off was docked from my vacation days. I'm fortunate that I get several weeks a year and was able to absorb that without losing any salary. I get that's considered the standard, but I honestly don't know how we as people think that's sufficient for anyone when trying to get things organized and dealing with your grief at the same time.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Ole Miss defeats TAMU 80-63 in College Station, improving to 16-2 and 4-1 in the SEC. I threw some praise Coach Yo’s way early in the season with how well she was rebuilding that program. Rebels are really looking like the real deal in year 4 of her tenure.
I became a fan of Coach Yo late last year, when Ole Miss was surging toward the end of the regular season. She seems to be a player's coach, and you can tell her players enjoy playing for her. I had Ole Miss on my most recent BY Top 25 ballot.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It was Holly and the prediction was bang on. Man what a 4th quarter she had.
When Diamond Johnson swished the THREE ball to give NC State a 55-53 lead, midway through the 4th and completing the comeback, I thought that was the loudest I had ever heard Reynolds Coliseum. And I watched basketball games in that arena as a student with more than double the seating capacity in the 1980s.

Reaction Score
10 minutes to tip on Tempe. Due to covid procedures first game of the year for the Sun Devils. Jade Lovelle, leading scorer is not on the floor. I didn't hear the pre game show so don't know if her absence is health related.

Buffs look to be at full strength.

ASU will need senior Taya Hansen to step up and hit some threes if ASU is to have any chance for the upset. In shoot around she hit 8 of 10 from beyond the arc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2:48 in the 3rd ....Curtain of Doom......and it works!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Devil's prevail 57-52 in OT as senior Taya Hansen leads ASU to victory with 17 points including 3 three pointers.

Reaction Score
Colorado gets ranked then loses back to back OT games to unranked teams -- OreSt & AzSt

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah...let me know at the end of the year if Colorado finishes above .500 in conference. I'll believe it when I see it. 2-3 at this point ,with losses against teams in Oregon St. and Arizona St. that have not exactly been lighting the wcbb world on fire. Expect more losses to come.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If I'm a Colorado fan, I'm asking what the heck the deal w/ Sherrod and Hollingshed has been lately. Neither have done much of anything in the 3 losses. Miller has been far and away the most consistent contributor, and she's not even a starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom