We were better than them and found a way to lose. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We were better than them and found a way to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am disappointed that we lost a game that we should have one. It would have a been a "feather in the Cap" W, we haven't beaten a Top Ten since 2014...
But we still are UCONN with 4 NC's, and I am sick of of being positive about moral victories.
Someone on the Creighton board stated it correctly....Uconn is 4 stiffs and Bouknight...he was correct.
The choices to drive into bigger players and shoot into their armpits, missing wide open shots, fumbling the ball, no boxing out....the players may be more talented and bigger than the last few years, but man...that was some ugly ass basketball out there.
If UConn is 4 stiffs and Bouknight then what is Creighton because we outplayed them for the whole game after spotting them a big lead after a 17 day layoff without two guys who are supposed to be starters...

Reaction Score
I guess I understand the disappointment, but I don't get the freak-out by some of you. We hadn't played in 2 weeks and took a top 10 team to the wire, and should 've won. Bouk is a true Alpha and just announced himself as legit for first team all-BE and BE Poy. So why the angst? We're just getting warmed up and some people are already acting like the season's done. Am I missing something?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Bouk gets a pass because he’s Bouk, but he also jacked up two bad 3’s on big possessions. The whole team needs to take better shots, and some people need to shoot less, while others shoot more. We need Polley back and to bring his range. We need Akok back soon. We need Jackson to stay on the bench. We need a true PG. We need a lot, but it’s hard to do anything with this stop and start season. We played bad and should have won today - but Creighton didn’t play their A game either. I’m hopeful.
The early clock 3 up 4 with around 3 minutes left really hurt. Cole rushed a long jumper on the next possession two after Creighton missed a FT

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Cole didn’t play last year. Last time he played in the MEAC on the worst team in the worst league. If you are counting on him you will be disappointed. He was only adequate against Central and Hartford but those were teams from a level where he starred. And he had far more talent around him.
He might have a game here or there where he looks like he’s great. Lots of kids have them. But he is and always was a MEAC/NEC level player. Those things alway show up when guys move way up in class.
Just stating his stats. Regardless of expectations put on him those were his stats. This is his first Big East game. He missed about 3 open looks. If he hits one of those he returns to his average, has a 15 point effort and we win. It really is a matter of small stat details like this. No one is expecting him to be a first or second team all BE, but if he can average 12-16 then he is doing his part. Regardless of competition all free throws are the same. Don’t think they allow any extra chicanery in BE any different than mid major games while people are shooting free throws. A make is a make.

Reaction Score
Vance Jackson may be talented . ( and god there a couple post passes I made that made me salivate again) but he doesn’t belong on floor yet for any kind of real minutes. On either end. Sanogo belongs on offensive end already but Jesus not defensively.
I don’t criticize Hurley at all for those minute decisions.
Vance should go back to New Mexico. Or better yet. Arkansas!!!

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
He doesn't trust him yet, same with Sanogo. Same with Calhoun with Lamb, same with Hurley and Bouknight last season. For UConn to reach where they can this season he's going to have to start playing Jackson and Sanogo more.
Disagree. He’s going to have to have more spread offense (Polley) and quicker bigs (Akok when he comes back and the reason Carlton slimmed down). Jackson absolutely, without a doubt has a LOT of growing to do. He’s not anywhere near starter minutes. Hurley has given him a few chances so far and this isn’t BallIsLife where he is dunking over 6’1” high school kids. He is going to need to shoot and thus far he has shown he can’t. So far I’d give Martin minutes over him without a doubt.

Reaction Score
teams won’t guard jackson. We already have crap spacing. Throwing him out there would just make it worse.

Reaction Score
Bouk gets a pass because he’s Bouk, but he also jacked up two bad 3’s on big possessions. The whole team needs to take better shots, and some people need to shoot less, while others shoot more. We need Polley back and to bring his range. We need Akok back soon. We need Jackson to stay on the bench. We need a true PG. We need a lot, but it’s hard to do anything with this stop and start season. We played bad and should have won today - but Creighton didn’t play their A game either. I’m hopeful.
Jackson played a whole whopping 5 minutes . Bury him on the bench even deeper !!!!!

Reaction Score
Lost a winnable game to a Top10 team.. Already been stated about rust/lack of games,etc. I agree.. Our D will win us some games this year.. Creighton's poise and experience showed at crunch time..

JC always had a X's and O's coach on the bench.. Is there one for DH? Why do I ask??.. Except for Bouknight's excellent play (for most of the game).. How can we generate offense with a weave?? Is it because of the talent on the floor or because of a lack of creativity in offensive scheme?? Pretty easy to defense against that scheme..

Woulda/coulda/shoulda.. Wished Martin had better hands on the boards/rbs..

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lost a winnable game to a Top10 team.. Already been stated about rust/lack of games,etc. I agree.. Our D will win us some games this year.. Creighton's poise and experience showed at crunch time..

JC always had a X's and O's coach on the bench.. Is there one for DH? Why do I ask??.. Except for Bouknight's excellent play (for most of the game).. How can we generate offense with a weave?? Is it because of the talent on the floor or because of a lack of creativity in offensive scheme?? Pretty easy to defense against that scheme..

Woulda/coulda/shoulda.. Wished Martin had better hands on the boards/rbs..

I love a ton of things about Hurley. Rick Pitino he is not. (in regards to in game bench coaching) . Nobody's perfect though. We all criticized calhouns offensive scheme for years.

Reaction Score
I love a ton of things about Hurley. Rick Pitino he is not. (in regards to in game bench coaching) . Nobody's perfect though. We all criticized calhouns offensive scheme for years.
At least JC had guys who would/could set a pick to free up his shooters.. Other than IW.. We need guys on the floor (on occasion) that can do that.. Mahoney was in Bouk's grill for most of the second half /OT.. Bouk couldn't get free during that span of time..

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
At least JC had guys who would/could set a pick to free up his shooters.. Other than IW.. We need guys on the floor (on occasion) that can do that.. Mahoney was in Bouk's grill for most of the second half /OT.. Bouk couldn't get free during that span of time..
They were blitzing bouk hard no doubt. A healthy polley could help us there on pick and pops . As it is, for better or worse, cole is second option. He won’t shoot that poorly every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom