We were better than them and found a way to lose. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We were better than them and found a way to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have a short memory of how many games we couldn’t close out on Ollie era. It was actually tragically comical how many times we were under 4 min with lead and snatched defeat from jaws of victory
yeah i must have a short memory because i dont recall a game played during the Ollie era when we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in an OT loss to a top 10 team after not playing in 2.5 weeks. do you?

i dont even know what the basis for comparison is between this team and any team from the Ollie era besides the arena they play in so invoking Ollie's name in the first place is nonsensical

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I couldn't have told you Adams played 27 minutes if you gave me 15 guesses. He was invisible out there, which doesn't work with how limited this team is offensively
Adams played 27 mins? U kidding? Thought he played like 10. Wow

Reaction Score
Cole shot 39% from 3 and 82% from the line last year. He’s fine. We didn’t have Polley or Akok. Effort was there all game. Bouk won’t have to do as much once 1-2 guys figure out their fit and can consistently put up 12-15pts a game. First BE game people, and against the #9 team no less...
Cole didn’t play last year. Last time he played in the MEAC on the worst team in the worst league. If you are counting on him you will be disappointed. He was only adequate against Central and Hartford but those were teams from a level where he starred. And he had far more talent around him.
He might have a game here or there where he looks like he’s great. Lots of kids have them. But he is and always was a MEAC/NEC level player. Those things alway show up when guys move way up in class.

Reaction Score
I have to question the offensive coaching. We're not a good shooting team; everyone including Hurley has to know that. Employing a strategy where this team launches 30 three-pointers is a losing approach. Yes, we should have made more of the wide open ones and we almost got away with it but (especially against a team like Creighton) Hurley needs to find a way to get more high percentage shots.
Really we need to recruit or develop a 3 point shooter. This is the game now and we are way behind without a couple.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
wow, that seems like a premature assessment
No it’s simply an assessment ( I hope!) 4 games into frosh season. He has all the tools to be a great player. Very few live up to their potential, 4 games into freshman season, never mind the stoppages from real world issues. I love AJ on our team. He’s going to be a great asset. No doubt about that. But coach is only gonna spot him minutes until not a game floor liability.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he offered more chance to win a game than Adams or gaffney, Hurley would be performing coaching malpractice by not having him on floor. Is he performing coaching malpractice?

Yes. He has a low tolerance for mistakes with young players. So he seems to prefer to play guys who don’t do much positively or negatively. Adams was that today. It was the same last year when he waited too long to give Gaffney a chance.

Andre came in, and immediately looked like Henefeld intercepting a pass and starting a fast break for a basket. He made two nice passes as you noted, which is one more than our PGs made (Gaff had a nice feed). Adams played 27 minutes. He was 1-5 for 2 points. No assists, no steals and 2 boards. He didn’t get to the line even once.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes. He has a low tolerance for mistakes with young players. So he seems to prefer to play guys who don’t do much positively or negatively. Adams was that today. It was the same last year when he waited too long to give Gaffney a chance.

Andre came in, and immediately looked like Henefeld intercepting a pass and starting a fast break for a basket. He made two nice passes as you noted, which is one more than our PGs made (Gaff had a nice feed). Adams played 27 minutes. He was 1-5 for 2 points. No assists, no steals and 2 boards. He didn’t get to the line even once.

i remember another coach who had low tolerance for young players mistakes.

Reaction Score
carlton is not going to compete with BE and tourney bigs. sanogo is a little undersized but way more athletic. athletic bigs

Reaction Score
Fr Bouk spoiled you all. He was a rare freshman

It's 2020. Highly rated freshmen play and play well all the time.

Regardless no one is calling for him to play 30+ minutes right now and he the #2 option, just when you have several guys out there playing big minutes and giving us nothing than Jackson should be playing more than 5.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Hurley or the staff read the BY and look at these suggestions?

Now that he is not the coach, has anyone asked Calhoun if he read the BY? And if yes, what did he think of it?

What about Calhoun's immediate successor?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Hurley or the staff read the BY and look at these suggestions?

Now that he is not the coach, has anyone asked Calhoun if he read the BY? And if yes, what did he think of it?

What about Calhoun's immediate successor?
Believe someone on the staff checks the BY occasionally. I hope like hell it's not for coaching advice

Reaction Score
It's 2020. Highly rated freshmen play and play well all the time.

Regardless no one is calling for him to play 30+ minutes right now and he the #2 option, just when you have several guys out there playing big minutes and giving us nothing than Jackson should be playing more than 5.
You have no disagreement from me. I just want to temper expectations for AJ this season. He’s a fr with an incredible but raw skill set.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Given that the defense was terrible for the first 11 minutes or so and Creighton moves well and shoots well, you can argue that the layoff hurt quite a bit and Creighton scored more early than they might have otherwise. Those points count. Obviously our O was pretty ugly. No Bouk, no chance to win. I thought Carlton gave them some decent minutes. Cole played very good D. He missed those potentially clinching foul shots, but I don’t mind him at the line late. Not an ideal point guard and shot selection is questionable. Missing Polley’s outside threat.

it can’t be easy to have so much time off and play a good team that’s been playing regularly and now the DePaul game is off. I reserve judgement on this team until they get to play a consistent schedule.

conn4>cuse1

Zone Is For Cowards
Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe all the support of Cole here. I'm usually a positive guy when it comes to our games but this was atrocious. This was our we're back game and 2-13 on mostly open looks and those free throws is unacceptable from a guy who was supposed to be our second option. Assuming it happens, this is glaring black mark on our march resume also for RPI. This loss, which is mostly on Cole and Hurley has shades of Xavier from last year. SMH. Also, why is nobody talking about Polley? This game is over if we have Polley. has anything been said? I might sound salty but its cuz I am. Had me in a bad mood all day. A win over the #9 in the country would have been huge and we were (among many other things, Cole free throws and a better call by Hurley the play before) away from it. This was supposed to put us back on the map and put Bouk on national radars. Poor guy. If we win this game Bouk has crazy hype and around him. A few of Whaley's fouls were ridiculous. He played well and under control and was robbed. Martin shows flashes but had the worst hands I've ever seen. He let so many boards go. Gaffney had the same problem. Gaff also had a horrible game. He needs to settle into the playmaker role that he demonstrated he can be so good at last year. we desperately need that given that Cole is more of short 2 guard. Hurley needs to be better. His coaching sucked. His rotations were off and I can't believe his defense the possession before Cole's free throws. The buck stops with Hurley and he should've known when to tell of Cole. One of our worst losses as a team in a while. This hurts. Major sad vibes.

Reaction Score
And Whaley wasn't ready when he was pressed into service last year...and look at him now. Take 12-15 minutes from Adams and put Jackson in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Jackson isn’t ready

I agree. He also isn't going to get ready if he doesn't get minutes. He blew a bad rotation that led to the dunk and never saw the floor again.

Today may have not been his day. Creighton has an insane offensive IQ. Versus less talented teams, I think he needs to see 15 minutes a game--Sanogo as well. They are higher ceiling players that need to develop--coach has to develop them.

Reaction Score
I am disappointed that we lost a game that we should have one. It would have a been a "feather in the Cap" W, we haven't beaten a Top Ten since 2014...
But we still are UCONN with 4 NC's, and I am sick of of being positive about moral victories.
Someone on the Creighton board stated it correctly....Uconn is 4 stiffs and Bouknight...he was correct.
The choices to drive into bigger players and shoot into their armpits, missing wide open shots, fumbling the ball, no boxing out....the players may be more talented and bigger than the last few years, but man...that was some ugly ass basketball out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom