We were better than them and found a way to lose. | The Boneyard

We were better than them and found a way to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We were better than them and found a way to lose. Bouknight might be the best player in the country but we just don't have that second guy and point guard play is killing us. Need to get Jackson and Sanogo a lot more involved because they are a lot more talented than the other guys. Cole, Gaffney, and Adams on the court together just shouldn't happen. Need to get Polley healthy and right and we're waiting on Akok. A reliable Polley hitting threes and Akok's rim protection and hopefully improved offense will go a long way. Once we are healthy and playing together without all the stoppages our defense should be awesome.

Really disappointing but we need to grow from this.

Reaction Score
Just like last year, play hard, look like the better team but still walk away with the L. Need to learn how to win these games

Reaction Score
We gave away a win vs a top 10 team....a very bad day.

Last edited:

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Cole shot 39% from 3 and 82% from the line last year. He’s fine. We didn’t have Polley or Akok. Effort was there all game. Bouk won’t have to do as much once 1-2 guys figure out their fit and can consistently put up 12-15pts a game. First BE game people, and against the #9 team no less...

Reaction Score
The offense is bad right now, largely because we spend most of the game with 2+ bad offensive players on the court. Hopefully with Polley and Akok coming back and Sanogo/Jackson earning Hurley's trust that will change

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
17 days no games. This is more like November 20th instead of December in terms of in-game experience and cohesion. If we would have been destroyed by 20 then everyone would have a legitimate beef with the team.

Reaction Score
Shameful loss. Should never have gotten that result given the position we were in to close out the game. I don’t want to hear, “17 days no games.” You don’t lose a game up 4 with 20 seconds left.

Let’s run through the closing 20 seconds:
Gaff sinks 2 FTs to put us up 4
Zeg runs right through our whole defense for an uncontested layup
Cole gets the ball trapped in the corner(never should’ve passed it there use a timeout)
Cole somehow gets a foul call and goes to the line
Cole missed both FTs and Zeg has the ball going the other way.
Zeg sprints to the cup unmarked again and Cole pokes it loose with 4 seconds to go
Creighton’s forward is on Gaffney posting him up and hits a game tying floater with no time left.

That is a throw. This game should’ve been won. We should be 4-0, 1-0 in conference play, absolutely cruising with momentum after Bouk drops 30+ on a top 10 team, we get ranked on Monday and add a good win to our resume. However we chose to lose, Creighton didn’t win, we showed the same folding attitude that we did against Hartford when we thought we would win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We were better than them and found a way to lose. Bouknight might be the best player in the country but we just don't have that second guy and point guard play is killing us. Need to get Jackson and Sanogo a lot more involved because they are a lot more talented than the other guys. Cole, Gaffney, and Adams on the court together just shouldn't happen. Need to get Polley healthy and right and we're waiting on Akok. A reliable Polley hitting threes and Akok's rim protection and hopefully improved offense will go a long way. Once we are healthy and playing together without all the stoppages our defense should be awesome.

This 100%. Cole should not be shooting the ball, Adams and Gaffney should not be playing the minute they are. Develop your future star Jackson.... the dude needs confidence and as much of a liability as Gaffney and Adams are Jackson can't be that much worse but has the better upside.

Also more Sanogo less Carlton please.

Reaction Score
17 days no games. This is more like November 20th instead of December in terms of in-game experience and cohesion. If we would have been destroyed by 20 then everyone would have a legitimate beef with the team.
guess we're the only 2 here that are ok with losing in OT to a top 10 team after not playing in 2.5 weeks.

i'd be surprised if cole and gaff ever go a combined 2/13 on threes again.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Vance Jackson may be talented . ( and god there a couple post passes I made that made me salivate again) but he doesn’t belong on floor yet for any kind of real minutes. On either end. Sanogo belongs on offensive end already but Jesus not defensively.
I don’t criticize Hurley at all for those minute decisions.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This game should have been so cathartic. Even after it went to OT we had a shot exorcise those demons from last year but it’s still just the same poopoo

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This 100%. Cole should not be shooting the ball, Adams and Gaffney should not be playing the minute they are. Develop your future star Jackson.... the dude needs confidence and as much of a liability as Gaffney and Adams are Jackson can't be that much worse but has the better upside.
So let’s throw in the season while Vance Jackson bricks 3 pointers by 3 feet and looks like Bambi on ice playing D. If you are ok with throwing in the towel for player development I can respect that, but he ain’t the savior right now, he’s a net negative ( again right now). And as much as Cole hurt us from stripe at end ( and it was a knife in my heart) and his bad shorting day, gaffney not ready to carry his jockstrap. So again. Throw in a towel for player devolopment ? Since bouk won’t be here next year I’d rather have my best getting minutes, flaws and all.

Reaction Score
I have to question the offensive coaching. We're not a good shooting team; everyone including Hurley has to know that. Employing a strategy where this team launches 30 three-pointers is a losing approach. Yes, we should have made more of the wide open ones and we almost got away with it but (especially against a team like Creighton) Hurley needs to find a way to get more high percentage shots.

Reaction Score
So let’s throw in the season while Vance Jackson bricks 3 pointers by 3 feet and looks like Bambi on ice playing D. If you are ok with throwing in the towel for player development I can respect that, but he ain’t the savior right now, he’s a net negative ( again right now). And as much as Cole hurt us from stripe at end ( and it was a knife in my heart) and his bad shorting day, gaffney not ready to carry his jockstrap. So again. Throw in a towel for player devolopment ? Since bouk won’t be here next year I’d rather have my best getting minutes, flaws and all.

Is "Vance" a thing I missed? Or are we just trying to make Dove feel better?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
you're kidding right? comparing losing in OT to a top 10 team after not playing in 2.5 weeks to what we went through the past 5 years?
This game could have been played in January 2020 and been exactly the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger