We Should Be #1 on Monday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We Should Be #1 on Monday

Reaction Score
Kansas was 3 and lost. They are not moving up. Thats stupid.
Why would they jump in front of Purdue? It makes no sense. If you think Kansas is going to stay ahead of us, you think our peak is #3.

Reaction Score
Kansas had a top ten win and has the head to head against us. That is the argument for them at #1. I’m not saying I agree, but that is the argument.
Where will OU be ranked in that very poll? They lost twice last week. It's not a Top 10 in, and essentially wasn't when it happened.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
“I’d rather be #1 in April” is so tired. There’s no guarantee that we accomplish that very difficult and unlikely goal. These cool accomplishments throughout the season are what makes the process fun.
So you'd rather be #1 now than in April?

The key word there is "rather". Sure, you can have both a #1 tomorrow and a #1 in April, but I'm pretty sure every UConn hoops fan would "rather" have the one in April.

Reaction Score
I will almost guarantee they will get quite a few first place votes at a minimum. Again, not saying it’s right, but it’s Kansas.
I'd be surprised if they get any. The #1 votes are going to be Purdue, UConn, and (maybe) UNC (who was #4 in a few polls and #5 ahead of us in 2 or 3).

Just think of it like this: If Purdue and Houston won, would UConn jump Kansas? The answer is obviously yes. In what world would Purdue and Houston losing in addition to Kansas have Kansas jump up to #1. If you're not dropping Kansas below UConn, you aren't dropping Purdue below Kansas for similar reasons—Kansas couldn't even make it to the Finals of the tournament Purdue won.

Reaction Score
We didn't have our starting center and we won by 13. Johnson gave little in stats so with a healthy Clingan this is a 25 point win and we are 1.
Rankings mean little in Jan.

Reaction Score

The key word there is "rather". Sure, you can have both a #1 tomorrow and a #1 in April, but I'm pretty sure every UConn hoops fan would "rather" have the one in April.
It’s stupid. No one is saying otherwise. Why say it? It’s like saying you don’t want to win your next game because you’d “rather” win the national championship game. It’s the little engine that could bull spit. We’re elite. We’re the best team in the country. We’re the reigning national champs. Put that damn #1 in front of our name and we’ll take all the smoke that comes with it. PERIOD.

Reaction Score
Purdue lost Northwestern and Nebraska. UConn beating UNC by 15+ is better than any win they have, not sure how you can make the case.
Perhaps as an individual win, but they have beaten Tennessee, Marquette, Illinois, and Arizona. Their resume is better.

Reaction Score

The point here is, its not a choice between the two even though some posters try and present it that way. Being ranked #1 right now would be awesome, lets stop acting like that isn't a big deal. Everyone knows that it has 0 bearing on the final rankings. Lets celebrate these kids... thats the point.

being number 1 in the country at any time in the year is fun and should be celebrated.

Reaction Score
I mean the week we lost to Seton Hall.
Because the teams behind us lost. Thats not the case here. Thats not the case here. The team 3 spots behind them(UConn) won

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
For the gazillionth time I can’t see why people are so obsessed by this but whatever. It’s Jan 15th……we aren’t into t-shirts around here last I checked.

Get healthy fast Donovan……painfully obvious these last couple games how much we need you.
I am of mixed emotions regarding DC's absence.

We are giving SJ a lot more run, Kara an is being tasked differently, Jaylin is getting game time. Even Singari is getting a minute or two

This interim hasn't hurt us so far. And the team is developing more quickly.

DC comes back and we should be better still.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The point here is, its not a choice between the two even though some posters try and present it that. Being ranked #1 right now would be awesome, lets stop acting like that isn't a big deal, or has any bearing on the final rankings. Lets celebrate these kids, thats the point.
"Rather" implies preference, not choice. Taken completely at face value, "I'd rather be #1 in April" is a simple concept that should be universally agreed upon.

Reaction Score

This is a ridiculous position. Of course everyone would pick #1 in April, which is why the whole "I'd rather be #1 in April than now" is such a lame thing to post." It's like "I, for one, would rather not to have brain cancer!"

But the thing is that having #1 at some point in the season (a) has tangible benefits to the program, and (b) doesn't actually hinder the ability for the program to be #1 at the end of the season (cf. 1999, 2004 for UConn, most other years for other champions).

The season is a process with its own ups and downs, and we should enjoy the regular season ups. I know we're spoiled as UConn fans with titles, but being #1 during the season is actually an accomplishment, and something we should be proud of. It isn't the season's goal, but it means you are consistently winning and at least on track to have success in April.

I also want to win the BE Regular Season and Tournament Titles. Those mean something to me as well. The same logic of "well I'd rather win the NCAAT" is both true, and utterly meaningless in the same way as these posts negating people being excited to be #1.

Reaction Score
UConn should be #1 in AP poll on Monday
Conference play for all top teams gets crazy from here through March
Purdue v IU in Bloomington this week- should be a great game

Reaction Score
"Rather" implies preference, not choice. Taken completely at face value, "I'd rather be #1 in April" is a simple concept that should be universally agreed upon.
Its a meaningless expression that is overused. Everyone wants to be number 1 in April, that doesn't preclude us from celebrating being number 1 in the country now, that's why its a meme that needs to die.

Reaction Score
Perhaps as an individual win, but they have beaten Tennessee, Marquette, Illinois, and Arizona. Their resume is better.
Their resume is better but at this point we have the better win. UNC is going to be somwhere between 1-4 on every voter's ballot.

Reaction Score
By the logic some are using at what point in this season will Purdue deserve to not be #1. If a loss doesn’t drop them what does?
I won't be surprised if they're still #1 on Monday. You can argue with their results in March, but this season their resume is undeniable, we should be number 1 though.

Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if they're still #1 on Monday. You can argue with their results in March, but this season their resume is undeniable, we should be number 1 though.
But the question is, if we’re doing AP ranking based on “resume” then at what point would they drop? If their ranking is immune to losses then the AP Poll should just sit the rest of the season out

Reaction Score
By the logic some are using at what point in this season will Purdue deserve to not be #1. If a loss doesn’t drop them what does?
I think it comes down to this: when a strong #1 loses in a regular week, how far do they typically fall? Even if teams 2-10 all win, they aren't dropping to 10. I haven't done the math, but my guess is that #1 usually drops somewhere to 3-5 with a loss. But then when 2 and 3 also lose, as well as 5 and 6, it muddies that a great deal, and you have to think more because holistically about who gets ranked where. I can see some reverting to resume. It's a weird week.

I ultimately think the Top 4 is going to be Purdue/UConn and then Kansas/UNC. It could come in almost any order within that split (i.e. might be UConn-Purdue-Kansas-UNC or Purdue-UConn-UNC-Kansas, etc).

Reaction Score
I think it comes down to this: when a strong #1 loses in a regular week, how far do they typically fall? Even if teams 2-10 all win, they aren't dropping to 10. I haven't done the math, but my guess is that #1 usually drops somewhere to 3-5 with a loss. But then when 2 and 3 also lose, as well as 5 and 6, it muddies that a great deal, and you have to think more because holistically about who gets ranked where. I can see some reverting to resume. It's a weird week.

I ultimately think the Top 4 is going to be Purdue/UConn and then Kansas/UNC. It could come in almost any order within that split (i.e. might be UConn-Purdue-Kansas-UNC or Purdue-UConn-UNC-Kansas, etc).
Everything you said makes sense. Unless there’s a 15-2 defending national champ who’s 3-1 against top 15 teams and 5-1 in conference who defeated the NET 43 team on the road this week in a year when no one can win on the road at 4. In that scenario that said team should be #1

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Need a roll eyes emoji for posts like this.
"gazillionth"
:rolleyes:
"obsessed"
"whatever"

These work for me, not even considering that (1) "gazillionth" is literally impossible and absurdly overwrought for anyone to claim, let alone to apply it to their own behaviors; (2) "obsessed" embodies the root derivation of the word "arrogance," in that it's based on nothing more than his own claim; and "whatever" basically casts aside any pretense of credibility or passion in the prior hyperbole by functionally offering a rhetorical, "No big deal."

No wonder he ignores me. Sorry to everybody else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom