We Should Be #1 on Monday | Page 6 | The Boneyard

We Should Be #1 on Monday

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Which makes sense as a fan. But these players and coaches haven't been there before, and they absolutely deserve that satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment

IMG_3825.jpeg

Reaction Score
Except we lost last week and didn’t drop. Doesn’t work that way. UConn, Purdue and KU have 2 losses. Rank them based on who they beat and who they lost to.
Ok. Let's compare each loss, keeping in mind the difficulty in winning away v neutral v home, and the importance of rank and conference. All three have 2 losses.

1-st loss: UConn, Purdue and Kansas all lost away, in conference, to un-ranked teams: Seton Hall, Northwestern, UCF

2-nd loss for UConn: lost at ranked Kansas, "true" away game, out of conference

2-nd loss for Kansas: lost to a ranked Marquette, on a neutral court, out of conference

2-nd loss for Purdue: lost to un-ranked Nebraska, in a "true" away game, in conference

Conclusion: The first of the losses for each team can be considered a push; all away, in-conference, to un-ranked teams(stinkers for all three). However the conditions that describe the 2-nd loss favors UConn, IMO. UConn has not lost on a neutral court, but Kansas has. Neither Kansas or UConn lost twice away, in conference, but Purdue has.

Therefore my completely unbiased :D opinion is, UConn #1.

Reaction Score
Houston is LOL

Purdue should be behind us…

I see lot of BS out there on how they should stay #1 - no way… Our NC win where we put them away like D2 team is looking better and better and 2 what I would call quality losses. SH has show they are no slouch.

Who is "them" in "Our NC win where we put them away like D2 team"? It seems, from the context of what you were saying, that it has to be either Houston or Purdue, but neither of those make sense...

Reaction Score
Who is "them" in "Our NC win where we put them away like D2 team"? It seems, from the context of what you were saying, that it has to be either Houston or Purdue, but neither of those make sense...
He is referring to our win this season against UNC.

Reaction Score
He is referring to our win this season against UNC.
Thanks. Considering we beat UNC by 11, it wouldn't have occurred to me. Assumed it was "national championship" or "non-conference."

Reaction Score
I can understand ranking Purdue at 1, if we’re going based upon accomplishments only. But, overall, no team right now looks like a true #1. I think eventually we have a good chance to look like a true #1 with a healthy Clingan.

I guess, rather than look at rankings and where they should or should not be, I’d say these are the teams I do not want to face in the tourney:

Purdue, Kentucky, UNC, and anybody in the BE

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Didn't every one of Purdue's "better resume" wins - Gonzaga, Marquette, Tennessee, Illinois, and Arizona - also lose this past week to an unranked team?

Maybe some voters believe that it would be unfair to vote for UConn because they're missing their starting center.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don’t really care. There are arguments that Purdue and Kansas still have a better resume, more big wins. The best argument for UConn is winning these games without Clingan. That suggests that we are better than even this.

Reaction Score
Don’t really care. There are arguments that Purdue and Kansas still have a better resume, more big wins. The best argument for UConn is winning these games without Clingan. That suggests that we are better than even this.
Actually i think our best argument against Purdue and Kansas is that we have better losses than both. They both probably have cumulatively better wins than us, but their losses are definitely worse. I think it'll look even better tomorrow afternoon.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Ok. Let's compare each loss, keeping in mind the difficulty in winning away v neutral v home, and the importance of rank and conference. All three have 2 losses.

1-st loss: UConn, Purdue and Kansas all lost away, in conference, to un-ranked teams: Seton Hall, Northwestern, UCF

2-nd loss for Kansas: lost to a ranked Marquette, on a neutral court, out of conference

2-nd loss for Purdue: lost to un-ranked Nebraska, in a "true" away game, in conference

Conclusion: The first of the losses for each team can be considered a push; all away, in-conference, to un-ranked teams(stinkers for all three). However the conditions that describe the 2-nd loss favors UConn, IMO. UConn has not lost on a neutral court, but Kansas has. Neither Kansas or UConn lost twice away, in conference, but Purdue has.

UConn's 1st loss was to Kansas on Dec 1st.

Reaction Score
UConn's 1st loss was to Kansas on Dec 1st.
You miss the whole point of my post. It is not a chronological description of the losses. It a logical grouping (and poor naming on my part, I guess). The fact is their losses are worse in relation to ours.

Reaction Score
I don't think you understood what he was saying.
I don’t even know how I got where I am right now. Of course I don’t understand what he’s saying

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
For the gazillionth time I can’t see why people are so obsessed by this but whatever. It’s Jan 15th……we aren’t into t-shirts around here last I checked.

Get healthy fast Donovan……painfully obvious these last couple games how much we need you.
1. It's really cool being King of the hill.

2. How long has it been since UConn was No. 1. I'll wait.

Reaction Score
I think y'all are putting more thought into the polls than the actual voters do.
This is kind of my point.

99% of the time the voters put no thought into it and drop the teams who lost and move up the teams who won. If #1, 2, and 3 lost, but #4 didn't, #4 is the new #1. Simple. Done.

If, this one time, there's analytics and scrutiny involved to keep a losing team at #1, that shows an intentional slight.

Reaction Score
This is kind of my point.

99% of the time the voters put no thought into it and drop the teams who lost and move up the teams who won. If #1, 2, and 3 lost, but #4 didn't, #4 is the new #1. Simple. Done.

If, this one time, there's analytics and scrutiny involved to keep a losing team at #1, that shows an intentional slight.
I would be annoyed, but not aggrieved. It is rare that 8/10 Top 10 teams lose to unranked opponents. We were #4, not #2 or #3. It's just far away from #1 that in the past #1 has lost and not dropped below #4.

I think this week was such a weird week it's going to have a bunch of voters throw their hands up and almost start fresh because it requires wholesale re-evaluation.

UConn should still be #1, mind you, but this isn't a typical week.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Or at least completely supported.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom