Way too early question: What are your expectations for next season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Way too early question: What are your expectations for next season?

Reaction Score
Fair question but I’m going to wait a while. I’m not one who thinks we went 1-11 because game day coaching was holding back players who were much better than 1-11 players. I think we had a severe talent deficit.

So predicting next year’s record, for me, requires seeing what we can get in the portal and Juco ranks to make both lines better. The kid from Dartmouth is a start, but upgrading the skill players on offense, which we’ve done at QB and TB (and WR may be the strongest group of players he is inheriting), isn’t going to make us much better unless we block and have enough speed on the DL to not give opposing QBs who escape the pocket enough time to surf the internet before deciding to run or throw.

This is where I am. Along with upgrading the talent Mora needs to build a system and integrate the kids into it. That does not happen over night. This is a rough schedule for a program in the state ours is in. Folks need to be realistic. Expecting us to beat programs like BC and NC State and play Michigan tough (........ Michigan!) is simply not realistic in my mind.

I know folks don't want to hear it, but I don't think measuring success next season resides solely with Ws and Ls. We need to show we can be competitive with some offensive prowess. Without that, we won't look much different. In fact, if we can make meaningful progress with the offense I think the defense may be a pleasant surprise. You simply can't have a defense on the field as much as our program has done over the past several seasons and expect them to hold up. I agree that we desperately need speed rushers and some much better play at LB.

Reaction Score
This team's issue was for the most part, the talent just not being there. We were good on special teams because there was talent there in McFadden, Brewton, Keating, etc.

Our starting Quarterback for the first two games is now at a program which is in the middle of a bottom conference in FCS. That should say something. Our OLine was absolutely insufferable, defense was tolerable with some clear talent mixed in to it.

This is probably a rough take to a lot of people on here, but Kevin Mensah was never really that good. Yeah he had a bad OL this year, but Nate Carter proved that he's just better. a lot of times, putting Mensah in slowed the team down.

Phommachanh was what the team needed, but Krajewski was not too bad. He did alright with what he had. I don't see him getting many snaps in '22, but he was important to this team for getting any points on the board at all in games like Houston.

With an improved OLine, this team scores much more points. I think they've made plenty of steps to improve it.
A refined already good defense with the likes of Jackson Mitchell returning, we definitely give up less points
We have a skilled and athletic Quarterback in Ja'Quan Roberson. When was the last time we had something like that? I've seen him ball in person before. He's a key talent we've been missing.

Also on offense, we have a beyond solid skill position set. I'm surprised Keelan Marion didn't leave us, he is damn good. We picked up some good receivers (Although I think that some, like Matt Hoffman, will be playing other positions as he is playing IOL)

Nathan Carter, Keelan Marion, and Victor Rosa will be our most important receivers/runners.

If these parts of the team can be made consistently decent/good.... I think it's safe to expect 4 wins.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
This team's issue was for the most part, the talent just not being there. We were good on special teams because there was talent there in McFadden, Brewton, Keating, etc.

Our starting Quarterback for the first two games is now at a program which is in the middle of a bottom conference in FCS. That should say something. Our OLine was absolutely insufferable, defense was tolerable with some clear talent mixed in to it.

This is probably a rough take to a lot of people on here, but Kevin Mensah was never really that good. Yeah he had a bad OL this year, but Nate Carter proved that he's just better. a lot of times, putting Mensah in slowed the team down.

Phommachanh was what the team needed, but Krajewski was not too bad. He did alright with what he had. I don't see him getting many snaps in '22, but he was important to this team for getting any points on the board at all in games like Houston.

With an improved OLine, this team scores much more points. I think they've made plenty of steps to improve it.
A refined already good defense with the likes of Jackson Mitchell returning, we definitely give up less points
We have a skilled and athletic Quarterback in Ja'Quan Roberson. When was the last time we had something like that? I've seen him ball in person before. He's a key talent we've been missing.

Also on offense, we have a beyond solid skill position set. I'm surprised Keelan Marion didn't leave us, he is damn good. We picked up some good receivers (Although I think that some, like Matt Hoffman, will be playing other positions as he is playing IOL)

Nathan Carter, Keelan Marion, and Victor Rosa will be our most important receivers/runners.

If these parts of the team can be made consistently decent/good.... I think it's safe to expect 4 wins.
Can't disagree about Mensah. I believe he gave his best for the Huskies, but after we got guys like Carter on the team it felt like hand-offs to Mensah had a high opportunity cost.

Reaction Score
You’ll be critical of UConn football no matter what, it’s your nature.
There is a difference between being objective and being critical. He was being objective. I agree wins are built up front. UConn just lost their best player up front on both sides of the ball. He is being objective.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between being objective and being critical. He was being objective. I agree wins are built up front. UConn just lost their best player up front on both sides of the ball. He is being objective.
I don’t think he is being objective when he’s calling other posters unrealistic because they are very positive on a new coaching crew. Opinions are not objective, especially when the new coach just signed UConn’s first 4 star rated qb in its history.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is being objective when he’s calling other posters unrealistic because they are very positive on a new coaching crew. Opinions are not objective, especially when the new coach just signed UConn’s first 4 star rated qb in its history.
Zach Fraser from ND. Higher rated too, I believe.

Reaction Score
Loved Zach, but he was no four star, maybe a three. As I recall Zach had blockers too. :rolleyes:
Zach Fraser played in the Army All American bowl game. Definitely atleast a 4-Star

Reaction Score
Um…….yes he has.
Getting a guy who WAS a 4-star in high school is very different from getting a 4-star out of high school. Roberson had one other offer that he announced which was Tennessee State.

Reaction Score
Zach Fraser from ND. Higher rated too, I believe.
Loved Zach, but he was no four star, maybe a three. As I recall Zach had blockers too. :rolleyes:
Yeah he was. Top 125 national recruit.
zach.png

Reaction Score

Actually I never called any poster unrealistic... singling out a poster on a message board rarely goes well. I did however state that I don't think bowl predictions are realistic:
I think bowl predictions at this stage are way off base, but it's nice to see the hope back on the boards.

I then followed it up with my reasoning. As I posted this morning in my follow-up I think setting unrealistic expectations for year one is dangerous and the kind of thing that sets the program up for failure. In my case I set my expectations to the minimum acceptable performance, I can hope the team does better, but I certainly don't think next season will be a failure or disappointment if it fails to reach a bowl and frankly it'd be an unmitigated success should the club win four next year. If I set my baseline expectation at a bowl.. well there isn't really much room for upward mobility.

Disagreeing is not criticism...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Where does Cam Ross and Matt Drayton, the starters before injuries took them out fit?

Reaction Score
Where does Cam Ross and Matt Drayton, the starters before injuries took them out fit?
not sure. We have so many receivers. I tried not to include guys in talking about this because I don't think that basing anything off of 2019 is useful.

they're both very good and we could expect them to start. But there's little doubt to me that Keelan Marion isn't gonna be a starter. Cam Ross almost definitely a starter. Drayton maybe.

Keep in mind those two were starting when Zergiotis was QB1. A lot has changed since.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was. Top 125 national recruit.
No he wasn’t, he was a three star. I’d rate Timmy Boyle, Casey Cochran, and Will Levis slightly over Zach and they were 3 stars. Would you rate Zach over Taisun Pomachanh who is a high 3 star or low 4 star (0.91) depending on who you talk to?

Reaction Score
Actually I never called any poster unrealistic... singling out a poster on a message board rarely goes well. I did however state that I don't think bowl predictions are realistic:

I then followed it up with my reasoning. As I posted this morning in my follow-up I think setting unrealistic expectations for year one is dangerous and the kind of thing that sets the program up for failure. In my case I set my expectations to the minimum acceptable performance, I can hope the team does better, but I certainly don't think next season will be a failure or disappointment if it fails to reach a bowl and frankly it'd be an unmitigated success should the club win four next year. If I set my baseline expectation at a bowl.. well there isn't really much room for upward mobility.

Disagreeing is not criticism...
Geez Scott you’re a UConn football fan, you’re not Al Michaels, Kirk Herbstreit or Lou Holtz. Let them worry about “baseline expectations” or “minimum acceptable performance”. Enjoy the game

Reaction Score
No he wasn’t, he was a three star. I’d rate Timmy Boyle, Casey Cochran, and Will Levis slightly over Zach and they were 3 stars. Would you rate Zach over Taisun Pomachanh who is a high 3 star or low 4 star (0.91) depending on who you talk to?
I think you are comparing fact and opinion. Zach was a 4 star. That is a fact. See the post above with the picture or just google it. Did he play like one? No.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd rather be slightly disappointed than have embarassingly low expectations.

Reaction Score
I think there will be a lot of good effort games next season. But w-l maybe 3-9 2-10. 23 should be the good season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom