Way too early question: What are your expectations for next season? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Way too early question: What are your expectations for next season?

Reaction Score
I'd rather be slightly disappointed than have embarrassingly low expectations.
I have a similar take, born of some wisdom I once got from my Grandfather on the best way to view the world. And this would apply nicely as to how I view the Mora years that await us. He liked to say 'while both hold the same amount of liquid, somehow it always tastes better when the glass is half full.'

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm looking more for an ideal scenario than anything else for year one (considering where we are starting from).

I was at the Garden for the play-in game in 1987 when a severely undermanned UConn team lost a close game to a mediocre BC team. I left the Garden that night convinced we found the right guy to run the program (obviously that was the last game of Jim Calhoun's first season here).

The ideal scenario that I'm looking for is having the same feeling about Jim Mora (we have had very good luck with coaches named Jim) immediately after his first season here ends.

Reaction Score
I'm looking more for an ideal scenario than anything else for year one (considering where we are starting from).

I was at the Garden for the play-in game in 1987 when a severely undermanned UConn team lost a close game to a mediocre BC team. I left the Garden that night convinced we found the right guy to run the program (obviously that was the last game of Jim Calhoun's first season here).

The ideal scenario that I'm looking for is having the same feeling about Jim Mora (we have had very good luck with coaches named Jim) immediately after his first season here ends.
But, he didn’t get Ryan Gomes.

Reaction Score
Now that the staff is in place let's see what kind of offensive line they can assemble between now and National Signing Day in Feb. They also need to work on getting some legit pass rushers to put some pressure on the opposing QB and give our DB's a fighting chance. By Spring Ball you should see what the coaches have to work with.
@ Utah St, if UConn can make a game of it and keep it within 7, even if they lose, consider it a moral victory.
vs CCSU if they don't win by more than 14 consider it a moral defeat.
vs the Orange. That will be the opening game of the season for Syracuse, meaning UConn will already have two games under their belt. Now, does that mean the Cuse will have two extra weeks of practice and two UConn game films to look at or does it mean Syracuse comes in trying to shake off the rust and UConn has had two games to fix things and tighten it up? We'll see.
@ Michigan. The Wolverines play Colo. St and Hawaii both at home. UConn is their third home game. It doesn't look good for the Huskies and I'd be more worried about how healthy UConn is after that than the final score.
@ NC St. How injured or healthy on both sides? Can UConn come into that game with at least two wins under their belt and feeling like they are on the right track? I'd give the edge to State but if the Huskies can avoid embarrassing themselves then another moral victory.
vs Fresno St. UConn owes them a beating but as long as they can avoid another beat down good for the Huskies.
@ FIU. Riccardo Silva Stadium only holds 23K and I'll bet there will be a good contingent of transplanted Husky fans in attendance. UConn should blow these guys away. Let's hope this isn't just their second win of the season.
@ Ball St. Either UConn comes to Muncie beat up and looking for answers or they come in looking to bring their record to .500(or better hopefully) on the season. They go home after this and finally enjoy a week off and prepare for....
vs BC. If UConn comes into this game on a winning streak, knowing they only need a couple more to be bowl eligible I guarantee ya Mora & Co will have these guys pumped and the Rent for once could see a good raucous crowd, and wouldn't that be nice. If the Huskies limp into this game with 2 wins don't expect much of a crowd.
vs UMass. The Minutemen could be limping into this game with only 1 win on the season unless Coach Brown can pull off a miracle or two. Let's hope both sides aren't limping into this game.
vs Liberty. There's a good chance the Flames might be looking at being bowl eligible if they beat the Huskies. Let's hope it's vice versa.
@ Army. I hate the way Army and Navy block on offense. Down at your knees. And UConn doesn't do well against the option. I don't see a win at West point but..... never say never.

If I was a bettin man I'd say 4 wins for sure, 6 possible. Any more than that and Mora should be Coach of the Year

Reaction Score
Now that the staff is in place let's see what kind of offensive line they can assemble between now and National Signing Day in Feb. They also need to work on getting some legit pass rushers to put some pressure on the opposing QB and give our DB's a fighting chance. By Spring Ball you should see what the coaches have to work with.
@ Utah St, if UConn can make a game of it and keep it within 7, even if they lose, consider it a moral victory.
vs the Orange. That will be the opening game of the season for Syracuse, meaning UConn will already have two games under their belt. Now, does that mean the Cuse will have two extra weeks of practice and two UConn game films to look at or does it mean Syracuse comes in trying to shake off the rust and UConn has had two games to fix things and tighten it up? We'll see.
@ Michigan. The Wolverines play Colo. St and Hawaii both at home. UConn is their third home game. It doesn't look good for the Huskies and I'd be more worried about how healthy UConn is after that than the final score.
@ NC St. How injured or healthy on both sides? Can UConn come into that game with at least two wins under their belt and feeling like they are on the right track? I'd give the edge to State but if the Huskies can avoid embarrassing themselves then another moral victory.
vs Fresno St. UConn owes them a beating but as long as they can avoid another beat down good for the Huskies.
@ FIU. Riccardo Silva Stadium only holds 23K and I'll bet there will be a good contingent of transplanted Husky fans in attendance. UConn should blow these guys away. Let's hope this isn't just their second win of the season.
@ Ball St. Either UConn comes to Muncie beat up and looking for answers or they come in looking to bring their record to .500(or better hopefully) on the season. They go home after this and finally enjoy a week off and prepare for....
vs BC. If UConn comes into this game on a winning streak, knowing they only need a couple more to be bowl eligible I guarantee ya Mora & Co will have these guys pumped and the Rent for once could see a good raucous crowd, and wouldn't that be nice. If the Huskies limp into this game with 2 wins don't expect much of a crowd.
vs UMass. The Minutemen could be limping into this game with only 1 win on the season unless Coach Brown can pull off a miracle or two. Let's hope both sides aren't limping into this game.
vs Liberty. There's a good chance the Flames might be looking at being bowl eligible if they beat the Huskies. Let's hope it's vice versa.
@ Army. I hate the way Army and Navy block on offense. Down at your knees. And UConn doesn't do well against the option. I don't see a win at West point but..... never say never.

If I was a bettin man I'd say 4 wins for sure, 6 possible. Any more than that and Mora should be Coach of the Year
This post right here gets me so excited and ready for the season.... also very ready to be terribly disappointed lmao.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why are we at Army two years in a row?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, going in to 2021 I set some nebulous expectations of UConn playing good enough defense where the opponents had to run their offense the full game and keep their starters in for the duration of the game. In other words, I wanted a competitive product on the field.

Obviously there were several games where this did not occur. But there were plenty of games where it did.

So, for 2022?
I'd like to see UConn close out a few of the close games and win.
I'd like to see UConn run an offense and defense that looks like FBS and not like HS.
I'd like to see UConn look and play like they are superior physically and athletically against FCS opponents.
I'd like to see UConn fans appreciate the on field product and have the final game of the season be a sell out or near sell out.

Reaction Score
Why bother? He’s already shown that facts are irrelevant to him. What’s important is how statements make him feel.

It would be funny if his attitude wasn’t reflective of what America is becoming.
Huh? Who’s this “he” you’re referencing?

Reaction Score
This team's issue was for the most part, the talent just not being there. We were good on special teams because there was talent there in McFadden, Brewton, Keating, etc.

Our starting Quarterback for the first two games is now at a program which is in the middle of a bottom conference in FCS. That should say something. Our OLine was absolutely insufferable, defense was tolerable with some clear talent mixed in to it.

This is probably a rough take to a lot of people on here, but Kevin Mensah was never really that good. Yeah he had a bad OL this year, but Nate Carter proved that he's just better. a lot of times, putting Mensah in slowed the team down.

Phommachanh was what the team needed, but Krajewski was not too bad. He did alright with what he had. I don't see him getting many snaps in '22, but he was important to this team for getting any points on the board at all in games like Houston.

With an improved OLine, this team scores much more points. I think they've made plenty of steps to improve it.
A refined already good defense with the likes of Jackson Mitchell returning, we definitely give up less points
We have a skilled and athletic Quarterback in Ja'Quan Roberson. When was the last time we had something like that? I've seen him ball in person before. He's a key talent we've been missing.

Also on offense, we have a beyond solid skill position set. I'm surprised Keelan Marion didn't leave us, he is damn good. We picked up some good receivers (Although I think that some, like Matt Hoffman, will be playing other positions as he is playing IOL)

Nathan Carter, Keelan Marion, and Victor Rosa will be our most important receivers/runners.

If these parts of the team can be made consistently decent/good.... I think it's safe to expect 4 wins.
Great assessment to next year team. We got a few good parts and now we got some transfers to help us. 4 to 6 wins, and maybe a bowl game.

Reaction Score
Huh? Who’s this “he” you’re referencing?
Sorry if I was confusing. I was referring to Conn78SEJ, who keeps telling us ZF wasn't a 4 star out of high school despite multiple responses with attachments showing that he was.

Reaction Score

Sorry if I was confusing. I was referring to Conn78SEJ, who keeps telling us ZF wasn't a 4 star out of high school despite multiple responses with attachments showing that he was.
He was the Patriots playing at the Rent, guy.

Reaction Score
My expectation is that almost every game, win or lose, is competitive and fun to watch. A few games (Vandy and Wyoming for sure) were just that. It had been a few years between seeing that type or product. The wins will come, maybe more than we think, but I just want to root for a team that competes and is well coached. Having both, should make most games fun and interesting.

Reaction Score
Why bother? He’s already shown that facts are irrelevant to him. What’s important is how statements make him feel.

It would be funny if his attitude wasn’t reflective of what America is becoming.
Isn't that the truth? Truly amazing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

What America has already become. We are now in narrative driven society where, at best, truth is optional and more typically is deliberately ignored

Reaction Score
@ Utah State WIN (1-0)
CCSU WIN (2-0)
Cuse WIN (3-0)
@ Michigan LOSS (3-1)
@ NC State Win (4-1)
Fresno State LOSS (4-2)
@ FIU WIN (5-2)
@ Ball State Win (6-2)
Boston College Win (7-2)
UMass WIN (8-2)
Liberty Win (9-2)
Army Win (10-2)
You are going to be sadly disappointed. Have you seen Utah State, BC, Liberty or Army play?

Reaction Score
@ Utah State WIN (1-0)
CCSU WIN (2-0)
Cuse WIN (3-0)
@ Michigan LOSS (3-1)
@ NC State Win (4-1)
Fresno State LOSS (4-2)
@ FIU WIN (5-2)
@ Ball State Win (6-2)
Boston College Win (7-2)
UMass WIN (8-2)
Liberty Win (9-2)
Army Win (10-2)
Seems legit...

Reaction Score
@ Utah State WIN (1-0)
CCSU WIN (2-0)
Cuse WIN (3-0)
@ Michigan LOSS (3-1)
@ NC State Win (4-1)
Fresno State LOSS (4-2)
@ FIU WIN (5-2)
@ Ball State Win (6-2)
Boston College Win (7-2)
UMass WIN (8-2)
Liberty Win (9-2)
Army Win (10-2)
I see two games where the BY could feel a modicum of confidence for a win. CCSU and FIU. A dog to UMass but that could go either way. Now if they pull in some impact players for the OL and DL from the portal -- to go with the QB upgrade -- I will feel more confident of another win from somewhere. Maybe Ball State, I dunno. It is what it is. Lets see who they get.

Reaction Score
@ Utah State WIN (1-0)
CCSU WIN (2-0)
Cuse WIN (3-0)
@ Michigan LOSS (3-1)
@ NC State Win (4-1)
Fresno State LOSS (4-2)
@ FIU WIN (5-2)
@ Ball State Win (6-2)
Boston College Win (7-2)
UMass WIN (8-2)
Liberty Win (9-2)
Army Win (10-2)
I almost wanted to report this it was so delusional.

Reaction Score
@ Utah State WIN (1-0)
CCSU WIN (2-0)
Cuse WIN (3-0)
@ Michigan LOSS (3-1)
@ NC State Win (4-1)
Fresno State LOSS (4-2)
@ FIU WIN (5-2)
@ Ball State Win (6-2)
Boston College Win (7-2)
UMass WIN (8-2)
Liberty Win (9-2)
Army Win (10-2)
LOL. If I was left out of your latest will codicil, this would be my evidence that you stopped being of sound mind. Air tight case.

Reaction Score
If UConn wins the two games they should win and loses a nail biter to UMass, I will still mark my performance review as Met Expectations. I will be a little disappointed but I will get over it. Likewise if they beat UMass and win the other two games, it will be a Met Expectations. But with a warm feeling. Four games and above will be Exceeds Expectations for me. Waiting for that rush of portal quality with baited breath. With that many SA's ready to transfer, though, it will be a major job just to whittle the potential targets down to a reasonably manageable list.

Reaction Score

Just remember, one can shop in the portal aisle after NSD. In fact, some names won’t even appear on the OL shelf to after spring games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom