Way too early question: What are your expectations for next season? | The Boneyard

Way too early question: What are your expectations for next season?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought about making this a poll, but I really don’t want to limit people’s answers. I think the last decade has taught us to be less unbridled in our enthusiasm. I am drinking the Jim Mora Kool-Aid by the pitcher. I like his hires and I am hopeful for the future. There really is no way to know how much improvement we could possibly have until we see the end results from the transfer portal, but so far what do you think would be “acceptable change?”

Reaction Score
I see 8 winnable games on the schedule 2 that can go either way (BC, NC State) and 1 where we can possibly win (Fresno) and 1 where we will definitely not win unless Mora pulls off a miracle (Michigan). Realistically I see 6 wins next year and if the offense gets going right away 7 or 8. I think 3 or 4 is our minimum. We definitely see improvement on all offense. There's no where to go but up. This will do nothing but help the defensive stats. I think a 6-6 record next year is right on target.

Reaction Score
4 wins should be doable...Central, FIU, Ball St, and UMass. Guess UMass is the litmus test based on this year's game. Maybe they get lucky with an upset and manage 5 wins. That would be massive. But 3/4 wins is realistic.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
4 is the minimum or it's all just coachspeak. CCSU and FIU aren't as good as Yale. Ball State and UMass also suck and should be beaten by any credible program. If we have a real QB, 5 is possible. 6 would be outstanding.

I remain concerned about both OL and DL.

Reaction Score
I see 8 winnable games on the schedule 2 that can go either way (BC, NC State) and 1 where we can possibly win (Fresno) and 1 where we will definitely not win unless Mora pulls off a miracle (Michigan). Realistically I see 6 wins next year and if the offense gets going right away 7 or 8. I think 3 or 4 is our minimum. We definitely see improvement on all offense. There's no where to go but up. This will do nothing but help the defensive stats. I think a 6-6 record next year is right on target.

I would put the eggnog down for a bit.

drunk saturday night live GIF

Reaction Score
At the very least I hope we can be very creative and aggressive on both sides of the ball. Lets have a big bag of tricks and use it often. I watch Coastal Carolina play and its like they are playing a different game on offense. Football has always been a copy cat game, I hope this staff tries to copy some of the more creative offenses in the game today.

Creative offense full of misdirection and aggressive defense that takes chances will make me happy and yes I want to see the return of the Wildcat QB with Rosa, make that part of our offensive repertoire. Our QB room needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4 is the minimum or it's all just coachspeak. CCSU and FIU aren't as good as Yale. Ball State and UMass also suck and should be beaten by any credible program. If we have a real QB, 5 is possible. 6 would be outstanding.

I remain concerned about both OL and DL.
Ball State didn’t suck the day they played Army.

Reaction Score
I want to see good competitive games and big crowds. Close games can go either way so to me it's not the number of wins, at least not this early in Mora's UCONN career. Play good football and build on that.

Reaction Score
I expect 2 wins, but I think 3 or 4 is totally feasible. Aside from the Ws and Ls, I hope to see a team at Army that is noticeably better than the team that played at Utah State.

Reaction Score
At current roster makeup:
1 definite win (central)
3 toss ups (UMASS, Ball State, FIU)

But it is still early in the process - I expect a lot more portal transfers in.

But as it stands now, I don’t see much difference at all.

Reaction Score
Things will look much different but wins and losses can only be predicted after we settle on a quarterback and offensive line and see what the new OC can do with them.

I wouldn't be surprised on D if a new player or two steps in immediately so I think we'll be a little improved from where we were last year.

Coaching matters.

Reaction Score
I want us to win one more game than needed to cover the over/under on wins.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Competitive, not blown out by halftime by most opponents like the past 3 years. Be in it until the 4th quarter like against Vandy and Wyoming and pull a couple out.
That's what I thought..then I had a bad case of deja vu. I think "not blown out by halftime" was my hope for last season.

It's been my biggest frustration the last few years. They weren't just bad....they were historically bad. Unwatchable bad. And....I rarely bothered watching a second half.

We ask for so little...can we finally have a team that let's us watch the second half every week? Lol.

Reaction Score
  1. Stop the bleeding (no blowouts except for maybe vs the top teams).
  2. win the 2 games most of us think we should win
  3. Be mostly competitive against the middling teams where we are not favored and possibly win 1 or 2.
From where we have been I think that would be a great season.

Reaction Score
The talent level is still pretty low. Two or three wins seems about right with four or five being possible if everything breaks right at QB, with injuries, and in game luck.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I believe 2 wins is realistic and 3 wins would be a tremendous year.

Army sucks too. We've just lost all perspective. Do you know how hard it is to win 4 games when 25% of the rosters of these teams turnover every year. It's not very hard at all.

Reaction Score
It's still December of 2021. Let's see who his new staff can recruit in the next couple of months. So far I don't see any blue-chippers coming to Storrs but it does look like there is a crack in the door with the public and prep schools in the region. Hiring one of their own and immediately initiating a direct line of communication was a great move. It gives them a seat at the table. And that can only be a good thing. If the new staff can't drastically improve the offensive line and figure out how to put pressure on the opposing QB then we are just looking at the most recent regurgitation of the previous decade. Going to Logan and beating Utah St means the program may just have started to turn the corner and there is hope for a successful season. They go there and get their ass handed to them like they did at Fresno St and I don't see any more fannies in seats at the Rent than we have seen in recent years.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom