Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since CFB is basically becoming a minor league, might as well add some monetary penalties. In the pros if you sit out, you lose your pay for that game. Something should be put in effect for these NIL deals which are basically salaries.
And yet they aren't. Do I have to use stick figures and crayons to establish to the boneyard how this all works?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
FSU has been saying all along "It's not the roster, it's the games" when saying they belong in the playoffs but now they want to suddenly say "It's not the game, it's the roster" regarding 63-3. I call BS.
Missing one key player vs more than a dozen is completely different scenarios
Call BS all you want but look at the full picture.

And yet they aren't. Do I have to use stick figures and crayons to establish to the boneyard how this all works?

Please - do so snark

Reaction Score
Well, I had a separate post about this issue but circling back to this - Georgia has nearly all starters play in this game - few sat due to draft.

Florida State had tons miss the game.

It’s hard to feel bed for FSU getting passed over for the C. Playoffs. They lacked commitment of their players.

It’s ever harder not to smirk as the once great ACC that passed us over and over again appears to be on a downward trajectory and will soon be pulled apart at seams.
I have many of the same emotions but I have to remind myself that the concept that misery loves company is beneath us. Move on, move forward. Dwelling on how the mighty have fallen makes us lose sight of the fact that Rule #1 is likely in force until it is not, and that UConn is likely gonna get spanked in the first game of 2024. Probably best to start worrying about UConn's season and Maryland than worrying about realignment and ending up wallowing in self pity all next season when Rule #1 asserts itself once again.

Reaction Score
It comes down to the fairness of losing their spot in the semis because they lost their qb and a preview of their playoff offense was on full display in the ACC Championship. A 4-team playoff is still a beauty pageant. FSU dipped into the portal for some stars last offseason. Nobody should be surprised when mercenaries opt out. A chain of events leading to that blowout of a husk of a team. ACC hate from a UConn fan’s perspective adds nothing to the topic thread. At full strength, they were a good club - nobody will ever know how they would have fared had they been picked. They probably would not have scored much without Travis.

Reaction Score
I know this, too, seems to be a disappearing value, but some people — listen closely — actually value the truth whether it favors someone or something they favor or not.
Hear what you’re saying, but it’s kind of flying in the face of certain false narratives being pushed on this board - listen closely- while “the truth” is heavily criticized to the point of being NOT the truth.

Reaction Score
Remember Donald Brown playing in the international bowl then announcing he was going pro and Darius returning in that same bowl after missing a couple weeks. Both were 1st and 2nd rd picks, those were good times.
Those were kids with character. Adult greed has lifted any and all expectations on young people as to personal commitment, persistence, or respect for your teammates. It started with coaches and their obscene pay and constant movement for the next buck at the expense of their kids, then entitled kids thinking they deserve to be paid and so on. We hyper-monetize everything at the expense of things no longer valued in a post modem “enlightened word” like patience, commitment, and sacrifice. It’s all about “me” in the moment.

Reaction Score
But the truth is they didn't get screwed. They weren't one of the best 4 teams. They weren't even one of the best 5 teams.
I took no position on the controversy itself. Only on someone believing that saying "we shouldn't like FSU" changes the reality of the situation.

Reaction Score
I know this, too, seems to be a disappearing value, but some people — listen closely — actually value the truth whether it favors someone or something they favor or not.
Hear!! Hear!!

Reaction Score
I like the line "College football got the Orange Bowl it deserved".
They got the Citrus Bowl there deserved as well! 35-0 4th quarter - now with bunch of backups out there.

I can’t imagine shelling out thousands to go see this game - what joke the bowls have turned into.

For me this all started with the Super Conferences, then came NIL and Transfer portal with no waiting period. The whole system has imploded.

Reaction Score
They got the Citrus Bowl there deserved as well! 35-0 4th quarter - now with bunch of backups out there.

I can’t imagine shelling out thousands to go see this game - what joke the bowls have turned into.

For me this all started with the Super Conferences, then came NIL and Transfer portal with no waiting period. The whole system has imploded.
Way too many bowl games, which started like 20 years ago.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Way too many bowl games, which started like 20 years ago.
Because they were profitable programming. ESPN can produce a bowl telecast in their sleep. And often do. But is anyone still watching this dreck?

Reaction Score
Because they were profitable programming. ESPN can produce a bowl telecast in their sleep. And often do. But is anyone still watching this dreck?
Apparently, more people than last year.

Reaction Score
I watch a couple because the matches were intriguing to me like Ole Miss PSU and OSU Missouri

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
But the truth is they didn't get screwed. They weren't one of the best 4 teams. They weren't even one of the best 5 teams.

No other sport looks at anything besides the record. The winner of the NFC game plays the winner of the AFC game in the Super Bowl, doesn't matter if there was a better team in the NFC. The playoff spots go to division winners and then those with the best record. Opinions don't matter.

If you have 4 spots for 5 power leagues plus pupu platter of also rans. Fairness demands you take the 4 best leagues. The CFP could have said the SEC, B12, P12, and B10 were all better than the ACC (They might be correct) and that would have been that. Instead, they tried to push record except some prognostication that FSU's wins without their QB, which included a win over a No. 14 Louisville didn't matter.

And now, it doesn't matter. If a P4 champion doesn't make the top 12 then the whole enterprise is going down. There are going to be some very disappointed programs that are now going to finish 8-4 regularly in the supersized SEC/Big10. Each now has 5 programs that expect to be top 12 every year. The B12 will get 1 spot, maybe 2 and the ACC is a one bid league. Add ND and an undefeated G5 rep and you have your pool for the 12 teams. There will be 15 teams every year expecting to get in and only 12 will. Expect the push to 16 in less than 5 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A 12 team playoff will have the top teams potentially playing 3 games to win it all.

Football is such a violent sport with such a high risk of injury, that you will see top players sit out in the playoffs. And if you are 2nd or 3rd string and are transferring, will you stick around for practices and games where you might get hurt in garbage time?

Unless the sport figures out a way to get the players to play every game, we are no where near done with players no-showing for the postseason.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fraudabama spits the bit. They looked like crap on the road against G5 USF, needed a miracle to beat a sub .500 Auburn and lost at home to Texas.

It was a joke they made it and thank goodness they lost.

SEC. It just means more*

*Unless they lose then there's an excuse for losing.

Reaction Score
I think many were profitable but gotta imagine many were losers, except for the local tourism dollars.

Reaction Score
FWIW, my feed is getting blown up today with UGA players transferring and entering the draft. Same could have occurred for FSU.

Instead, the game will go down as the largest margin of victory in bowl game history. Something that they call can be proud of. Losers mentality. Not one of this kids are someone to go to war with.

Let's stop with the "these kids don't get paid" BS. Sure, the universities get paid millions from these TV deals, etc. These kids get a full ride to school, a platform to showcase their talents for the next level, and whatever other fringe benefits they recieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom