Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Was Florida State Screwed by the Committee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They will in time. This beat down is going to be talked about in perpetuity.

yeah, but it will be much more focused on how the transfer portal killed quality bowl match ups more than an implication of FSU as a program.

Reaction Score
LSU was 10-3 with a win over Alabama last year.
Yeah, I’ll give you that. They were OK last year, not great, but OK. BTW suttle changes to fluff up a narrative makes me laugh, like people won’t notice? They were 10-4, not 10-3. Lost to FSU by 1point, got blown out at home by Tennessee 40-13, lost to Texas A&M 38-23, and lost to Georgia 50-30.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think FSU is officially rethinking their conference expectations, I think they want to at least retain the allusion of being relevant

Reaction Score
Sort of, 26 or so players bailed when they didn’t make the playoff. Their Orange Bowl performance is irrelevant.
The loss of their starting QB did greatly diminish them as a team. I just doubt that an SEC or Big Ten team would have faced that scrutiny.
FSU has been saying all along "It's not the roster, it's the games" when saying they belong in the playoffs but now they want to suddenly say "It's not the game, it's the roster" regarding 63-3. I call BS.

Reaction Score
FSU has been saying all along "It's not the roster, it's the games" when saying they belong in the playoffs but now they want to suddenly say "It's not the game, it's the roster" regarding 63-3. I call BS.
That is a beautiful commentary.

Reaction Score
I can assure you very few FSU fans gave a crap about this game.
You wouldn't be able to tell from reddit. The mental gymnastics they are exhibiting is like nothing I've ever seen and to even do something as simple as make a subtle suggestion that maybe the committee has been vindicated with such a result leads to some pretty drastic, aggressive lash back and character attacks. They make the most unhinged here look normal.

Reaction Score
Exactly. This was mentioned repeatedly by the announcers, and they even interviewed Smart about it right before the game. Georgia clearly felt like they had a point to prove, they wanted to get their seniors to 50 wins, and their team was all in. You had a fully stocked, hungry team against a team that wasn't interested in being there, and didn't have their players. This result should not surprise anyone.
All those FSU players who sat out, that’s final legacy leaving their team in the dust in a 63-3 loss. Look I get it on their end why risk it, its not their fault unfortunately this is the quitters landscape that was created for them to make the decision of sitting out the orange bowl.

Georgia guys who were leaving wanted to leave a final mark on their legacy without regrets and put their team in best possible position going forward, they have taken the character of their coach.

Reaction Score
All those FSU players who sat out, that’s final legacy leaving their team in the dust in a 63-3 loss. Look I get it on their end why risk it, its not their fault unfortunately this is the quitters landscape that was created for them to make the decision of sitting out the orange bowl.

Georgia guys who were leaving wanted to leave a final mark on their legacy without regrets and put their team in best possible position going forward, they have taken the character of their coach.

Maybe they were inspired by the quitter example of their leadership suing their ACC peers

Reaction Score
Who cares about a bowl game played without 30 of the best players? It's meaningless. And that said, FSU to the B1G is still in play.

Reaction Score
Remember Donald Brown playing in the international bowl then announcing he was going pro and Darius returning in that same bowl after missing a couple weeks. Both were 1st and 2nd rd picks, those were good times.

Reaction Score
Pretty effective protest, if you ask me. They created a completely unwatchable product because they got screwed out of a chance to compete for a championship. The NCAA doesn't even pay em so why should these kids put their livelihoods on the line? To keep ratings up for the Capital One Orange Bowl?

This is the future the SEC wanted

Why not just opt out of the season after 1 or 2 losses. Why risk injury in the hopes of making a mid level bowl? When faced with a losing season take a Brewton! Take the money and run.

Reaction Score
Sort of, 26 or so players bailed when they didn’t make the playoff. Their Orange Bowl performance is irrelevant.
The loss of their starting QB did greatly diminish them as a team. I just doubt that an SEC or Big Ten team would have faced that scrutiny.
They bailed? Like went on strike? Imagine 26 of Harbaugh’s players or Saban’s players refusing to play because they were seeded 5th. The only jobs they would get playing football would be in Russia or Japan.

Reaction Score
Why not just opt out of the season after 1 or 2 losses. Why risk injury in the hopes of making a mid level bowl? When faced with a losing season take a Brewton! Take the money and run.
Why would Caleb Williams even play his rookie season since he will be on a bad team he’s not winning a Super Bowl his rookie season.

Reaction Score

Georgia was missing 25 players. Losing by 60 isn’t a good look.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what you are trying to debate. FSU was stripped of most of its best players. Georgia was not. FSU started its third string freshman QB. Nobody really cares except to show that the portal and NIL are going to ruin college sports as designed. I don’t actually care about FSU and Georgia or the CFP. I care about college sports being destroyed, particularly for fan bases like ours and yours. This is going to turn football and basketball into an SEC/BIG pro league. The rest of us will be left behind. It’s a simple matter of players gravitating to the money and the networks building up those leagues in public perception so that average fans consider everything else garbage.
This is about as accurate as it gets.

Reaction Score
Well it doesn’t look that way right now… Georgia has exposed ACC Football for what it is - Overrated and it’s 28-3 and well before halftime.

These teams are nowhere close - talent level. Florida St might have been overrated.

With Syracuse getting embarrassed by USF this is not a good look for the ACC.

With all the key players skipping these bowls makes you wonder why all the hype for these things.. back ups vs back ups.
Most of FSU's starters elected not to play in protest, right?

Reaction Score
I’m surprised they didn’t drop Georgia to 4, leave Texas out, and bama at 3. Essentially this is an SEC vs Big 10 playoff. Everyone else so screwed
There is no “everyone else” anymore.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why they didn’t play but they had a huge number of opt outs. Story on ESPN. But why the beatDown? What was that about>?

Reaction Score
Well, I had a separate post about this issue but circling back to this - Georgia has nearly all starters play in this game - few sat due to draft.

Florida State had tons miss the game.

It’s hard to feel bed for FSU getting passed over for the C. Playoffs. They lacked commitment of their players.

It’s ever harder not to smirk as the once great ACC that passed us over and over again appears to be on a downward trajectory and will soon be pulled apart at seams.

Reaction Score
The people thinking this is about FSU are missing the point. The bulk of FSU’s first string players skipped the game because the portal/money/draft were more important than the Orange Bowl. They had 9 guys leave the team to prepare for the draft and 10 leave for the portal. 14 starters gone.

This will continue to happen. We will quite possibly have something like this happen to us if we ever have another good season. Our best players will get poached before the bowl game. It’s a disaster. They’ve got to change the portal and NIL rules to keep teams together through the full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom