Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
A few people here have criticized the Huskies for not getting in line to congratulate their opponents after the game. That surprised me, so I took a look at the game replay that is posted here, and saw that the Nova players ran to the line immediately after the buzzer sounded. They were the ones who were avoiding having to congratulate the team that won. Whatever, no biggie but let's not take shots at the UConn team.
Awwww, Kat, it's bad enough that the Huskies didn't share high fives and hugs with the other team immediately after the game but to lay it on Villanova for doing it quickly in order to avoid their rival players is a step too far? Geno, CD and Co. managed to exchange greetings with the Wildcats... the Huskies should have, too!

I was glad to hear Aaliyah and Dorka shared respecting hugs with Maddy after that.

Reaction Score
I thought Nika was fouled every time she went to the basket but she has a habit of doing too much acting. I think she would get the call if she went strong and took the contract.
I think this is right. Too much acting can backfire by obscuring the real fouls and the refs call nothing. Nika’s not a flopper so much as a head-snapper, and she overdoes it.

One positive thing I’ve noticed this season, with one exception Nika seems to have developed a rapport with a lot of the refs. She’ll go talk to them about her complaints after a play and they’ll pat her on the head and send her back onto the floor with a smile. She may have charmed some of them.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The Nova fans self-owned a couple times. After Azzi buried two 3’s in a row, her next shot was an air ball. Of course the Nova fans started chanting “air ball…air ball.” But on the very next UConn possession Azzi ripped the nets with her 3rd 3-pt shot, silencing the Nova fans. I’m pretty sure I noticed a sly smile from Azzi as she ran back down court. :)
We had a row of Nova fans behind us same thing. When she hit the next 3 our row erupted

Reaction Score
Unusually bad form by the ladies following end of game. While only the coaches were in the post-game high five line, they were celebrating in a full-team huddle on the side of the floor while all the Villanova players went through and there were no players to slap hands with. As you will see in one of the photos from TV screen grabs that shows all the Villanova blue shirts pacing behind the huddle of UConn players celebrating on the floor, not giving their fellow Big Easters respect they deserve by being in that line as all teams always do. Probably an over-zealous oversight of team unity after this tough season, but if you are not going to cut down the nets you should have time to do the right thing and give the opponent you just whipped a friendly gesture of true sportsmanship. Hope this is a one-off occurrence going forward in NCAAs. They always have A-one class, this time it wasn't displayed. Anyone else notice?
Well, if anything it is bad form for "our" angelic UConn team. Except, you are pointing out that the team is not angelic, but human. You are correct on both counts.

Reaction Score
I think this is right. Too much acting can backfire by obscuring the real fouls and the refs call nothing. Nika’s not a flopper so much as a head-snapper, and she overdoes it.

One positive thing I’ve noticed this season, with one exception Nika seems to have developed a rapport with a lot of the refs. She’ll go talk to them about her complaints after a play and they’ll pat her on the head and send her back onto the floor with a smile. She may have charmed some of them.
As you may know, when it comes to acting and embellishment, soccer players lead the way. When some in-depth reporting was done on this, it was determined the reason was because too many fouls (per the player's view) are not called. This is another instance of the fine line between physical play and outright fouling. Games are always physical, but officials who "swallow" the whistle are the culprits. IMHO.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Unusually bad form by the ladies following end of game. While only the coaches were in the post-game high five line, they were celebrating in a full-team huddle on the side of the floor while all the Villanova players went through and there were no players to slap hands with. As you will see in one of the photos from TV screen grabs that shows all the Villanova blue shirts pacing behind the huddle of UConn players celebrating on the floor, not giving their fellow Big Easters respect they deserve by being in that line as all teams always do. Probably an over-zealous oversight of team unity after this tough season, but if you are not going to cut down the nets you should have time to do the right thing and give the opponent you just whipped a friendly gesture of true sportsmanship. Hope this is a one-off occurrence going forward in NCAAs. They always have A-one class, this time it wasn't displayed. Anyone else notice?
Isn't this the norm when teams win a Championship game?

Reaction Score
Villanova is an excellent team. They play superb defense themselves. Last night, despite being undersized (just one player as tall as 6'2"), they pulled down 17 offensive rebounds. They took 70 shots to less than 60 for Connecticut. And though they lose Siegrist next year, they bring back nine players who were underclassmen this year. Very, very scrappy. Even being severely height-constrained, they also blocked five shots? They play taller than they are.

But we had effective bigs, and they didn't. That was the difference. This league, outside of Connecticut, seems to play the same brand of guard-oriented basketball. Few, if any, Bigs to speak of in the conference outside of UConn. And that is probably why only one non-UConn team is ranked nationally.

They'll be tough again next year, for sure.

Reaction Score
Nika seems to have developed a rapport with a lot of the refs. She’ll go talk to them about her complaints after a play and they’ll pat her on the head and send her back onto the floor with a smile. She may have charmed some of them.
Not saying you're wrong. But the mere mention of Nika being "charming" to officials on the subject of fouls has caused great disruption in The Force. The room is still spinning.

Reaction Score
Without being a downer, I can't help but think that might might have been one of the best UConn teams ever given out post play if everyone was healthy.
I think you’re right. If Paige and since had played this season, and CD and Azzi hadn’t been shadowed by injury, I think we’d have been an even up rival to SC all year. It would have been good for both teams to have a true rival out there.

As strong as we could be next year, the loss of Dorka and Lou is going to hurt. Don’t get me wrong, I think Ice and Jana and Ayanna will be great, but maybe not as soon as next year. Our front court rotation is going to be Aaliyah and 4 bigs who are still learning. Fouls won’t be a problem.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
How often has the tournament final been between two top 10 teams?
2023 (BE), 2014 (AAC), 2013 (BE), 2012 (BE), 2011 (BE), 2010 (BE). Could be more, I stopped checking. :)

Caveat: I am assuming UConn was a Top 10 team for the above Finals. :):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But we had effective bigs, and they didn't. That was the difference. This league, outside of Connecticut, seems to play the same brand of guard-oriented basketball. Few, if any, Bigs to speak of in the conference outside of UConn. And that is probably why only one non-UConn team is ranked nationally.
Exactly. The BE is just a few good bigs away from being a really strong conference. If Villanova Marquette and Creighton manage to recruit a few bigs, the BE will be on the map.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How often has the tournament final been between two top 10 teams?
Probably a bunch with the old Big East

UConn
ND
Louisville
Rutgers
Syracuse
BC
St John’s (Kim Barnes Arico era)

we’re all ranked, some highly. Heck, Pittsburgh, WVU, and Miami even jumped into the rankings sometimes. What a league that was.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The BE is just a few good bigs away from being a really strong conference. If Villanova Marquette and Creighton manage to recruit a few bigs, the BE will be on the map.
Wait a second, aren't all bigs supposed to go to UConn :)

Closer Look

Closer Look
Reaction Score
Awwww, Kat, it's bad enough that the Huskies didn't share high fives and hugs with the other team immediately after the game but to lay it on Villanova for doing it quickly in order to avoid their rival players is a step too far? Geno, CD and Co. managed to exchange greetings with the Wildcats... the Huskies should have, too!

I was glad to hear Aaliyah and Dorka shared respecting hugs with Maddy after that.
Agreed. Understand getting caught up in the thrill of victory but Villanova just went through the agony of defeat. The entire team and staff took the right path and went through the line with the UC coaches-and you could see on screen a couple of the UConn players after their victory circle concluded looking over at the 'Nova players walking back toward their locker room after the handshakes were over. Think they thought about going over but it was too late by then-you can't expect the defeated team to wait around for their opponent after they were forced to observe them whooping it up just a few feet away-Edwards was one who looked over so glad to hear she and Dorka did at least go over to Maddy afterwards as a part of the all-tourney team ceremony as that kid has everyone's respect in the league and country. And championship games are not exempt from the tradition of the post-game gathering at the center court sideline. Especially for UConn, which never cuts down the nets at these conference title celebrations.

Reaction Score
Villanova will have to get a big from the transfer portal, they have two guards coming in.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I replied to you thinking that having no player line with the winning team was the norm.
I watched the BigXII tournament final and the Iowa State players did the hand shake line, so.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom