VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow | Page 8 | The Boneyard

VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow

Reaction Score
I bring up Gonzaga again. They are in a worse league than we are - less exposure, less schools with history, etc. Yet, they consistently produce. They are a top 10-15 program year after year and have accomplished much LESS than we have. We need to do better - period.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The league absolutely is a problem. There's a whopping total of 0 top 100 recruits in this years incoming AAC class. I repeat 0. This is according to 247's composite rankings which takes the average ranks from the main recruiting services.
That's a pretty damning statistic. Good research.

Reaction Score
I bring up Gonzaga again. They are in a worse league than we are - less exposure, less schools with history, etc. Yet, they consistently produce. They are a top 10-15 program year after year and have accomplished much LESS than we have. We need to do better - period.

We just went through this a while back on Gonzaga.

I looked at their recruiting over the years.

Outside of 2 years, they don't recruit players in the top 100. Things may have changed though with last year's class.

Go and look at G0nzaga's recruiting. It is not what you think it is.

Reaction Score

Outside of 2 years, they don't recruit players in the top 100. Things may have changed though with last year's class.

I'm not sure how many times this has to be reiterated but your recruiting class rank doesn't matter. Wins matter. If you are winning, you are recruiting well, regardless of what a recruiting services rank is.

Reaction Score
Well it doesn't matter too much about where the recruiting is ranked for the classes. Coaches are held to wins and right now that is looking to be a big issue for KO. What is great is that either KO will have a good year or he will be out if he has a season like this past one. One way or the other we can move on from all this overanalyzing. Bring on the 2017-18 season. I can't wait for it to get started.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has a great coach who has found a system that has worked for almost two decades. It helps the Pacific NW isn't overstuffed with traditional powers, they work hard on the transfer market, and they've been one of the best at locating overseas talent. Certainly the conference is a negative for Gonzaga, but they've done their best to mitigate that, and they've done it well.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how many times this has to be reiterated but your recruiting class rank doesn't matter. Wins matter. If you are winning, you are recruiting well, regardless of what a recruiting services rank is.

They just had a one-and-done. Obviously they are recruiting well now. The kid was a top player in the rankings. And they are winning big, but prior to that (which is what we are discussing), their winning was more a function of the weak league they were in, weaker than the AAC. Go back and look at their recruiting. It is no surprise they were not advancing very far. In fact, prior to the last few years, they had only gotten out of the first weekend TWICE in 15 years despite the fact that they were in the NCAAs each and every year (largely because of the conference). 2 times in 15 years is not what I'd call winning.

The fact is, before recently, THEY HAD NOT outperformed UConn on the basketball court either. The wins, not surprisingly, coincide with their recruiting upswing. That is what changed.

Mark Few has also been there forever and provided them with stability. That counts. When recruits sniff that an AD isn't committed to the coach, it hurts recruiting. We heard the same from former UConn bball players who said that in the media about Ollie's 2013 tryout.

Winning the national championship with only one NBA player as UConn did in 2014 is a rarity. This isn't a good model at all for winning. You need to recruit multiple NBA players (ie. higher ranked players).

I challenge anyone to go back and look at the national champions from the last 20 years to find teams who won without more than 1 NBA player.

That 2014 UConn team is a huge outlier. You need to recruit studs to win. The correlation between NBA players and national champions is a close one. Gonzaga has Olynyk and Sabonis, with Wiltjer probably on the outs. That is simply not enough to win, and it is likely why they haven't won it all.

Now look at the current team. More NBA talent coming for them, and it explains their recent performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

They do seem to get a fair amount of high profile transfers each year..

Reaction Score
The league absolutely is a problem. There's a whopping total of 0 top 100 recruits in this years incoming AAC class. I repeat 0. This is according to 247's composite rankings which takes the average ranks from the main recruiting services.
Ugh. I'm home with a stomach bug and that fact just made me even sicker to the stomach. I may have to go yAACk again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I've been against it up until literally this very moment but time at least kick the Big East tires if we haven't already. We could literally offer to keep football in the AAC at a 0% share and make more money. Can't believe I just wrote that.

Reaction Score
I've been against it up until literally this very moment but time at least kick the Big East tires if we haven't already. We could literally offer to keep football in the AAC at a 0% share and make more money. Can't believe I just wrote that.

How many top 100 recruits did the NBE get? (this is an honest question, not meant to be a counter argument)

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, the BE keeps 3rd tier rights, not the schools, so you're going to lose money.

Reaction Score
Ugh. I'm home with a stomach bug and that fact just made me even sicker to the stomach. I may have to go yAACk again.

I just saw we lost the ITALIAN GUARD! Another one??? Can you see the new moniker that I have created for the staff at UCONN, and I'm not talking about KFree or E Moore or even KO. The new ASS CLOWNS! There I said it and I don't give a sh--! New moniker stands for EPIC FAIL FACE! Fits them to a friggin T! Loss, loss, loss, loss but he sure can bring in PROJECTS! Are you kidding me? UCONN ain't UCONN anymore I'm sick and I'm sorry. I'll sit there and watch Monmouth and HATETHEGATE COLGATE knock us off. Disastrous hires all around, from AD on down we SUCK! I've kept my fat mouth closed except to encourage but what is left to encourage. Imagine just imagine if we didn't have Jalen, Alterique, Christian & Terry #HARTFORD#CCSU#FAIRFIELD. Guess I'll have to get my paper bag ready for over my f'in head. What's the recruiter doing? Congratulating himself still? He obviously can't recruit. Thanks for selling us the usual bad bill of goods. Step up Cobb, Wailey, Diarra, Carlton, Polley and don't worry we will finish in the top half of the AAC and I'm sure the guru will find us a 6'9" transfer with a 1.8ppg. 2Reb. 1 blk a game STUD!!! To think I wasn't going to drink today! Best laid plans!#pop#fizz#oh whatarelief10is!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, we would not.

Reaction Score
I just saw we lost the ITALIAN GUARD! Another one??? Can you see the new moniker that I have created for the staff at UConn, and I'm not talking about KFree or E Moore or even KO. The new ASS CLOWNS! There I said it and I don't give a sh--! New moniker stands for EPIC FAIL FACE! Fits them to a friggin T! Loss, loss, loss, loss but he sure can bring in PROJECTS! Are you kidding me? UConn ain't UConn anymore I'm sick and I'm sorry. I'll sit there and watch Monmouth and HATETHEGATE COLGATE knock us off. Disastrous hires all around, from AD on down we SUCK! I've kept my fat mouth closed except to encourage but what is left to encourage. Imagine just imagine if we didn't have Jalen, Alterique, Christian & Terry #HARTFORD#CCSU#FAIRFIELD. Guess I'll have to get my paper bag ready for over my f'in head. What's the recruiter doing? Congratulating himself still? He obviously can't recruit. Thanks for selling us the usual bad bill of goods. Step up Cobb, Wailey, Diarra, Carlton, Polley and don't worry we will finish in the top half of the AAC and I'm sure the guru will find us a 6'9" transfer with a 1.8ppg. 2Reb. 1 blk a game STUD!!! To think I wasn't going to drink today! Best laid plans!#pop#fizz#oh whatarelief10is!

It's a little early to be drinking, don't you think?

Reaction Score
I just saw we lost the ITALIAN GUARD! Another one??? Can you see the new moniker that I have created for the staff at UConn, and I'm not talking about KFree or E Moore or even KO. The new ASS CLOWNS! There I said it and I don't give a sh--! New moniker stands for EPIC FAIL FACE! Fits them to a friggin T! Loss, loss, loss, loss but he sure can bring in PROJECTS! Are you kidding me? UConn ain't UConn anymore I'm sick and I'm sorry. I'll sit there and watch Monmouth and HATETHEGATE COLGATE knock us off. Disastrous hires all around, from AD on down we SUCK! I've kept my fat mouth closed except to encourage but what is left to encourage. Imagine just imagine if we didn't have Jalen, Alterique, Christian & Terry #HARTFORD#CCSU#FAIRFIELD. Guess I'll have to get my paper bag ready for over my f'in head. What's the recruiter doing? Congratulating himself still? He obviously can't recruit. Thanks for selling us the usual bad bill of goods. Step up Cobb, Wailey, Diarra, Carlton, Polley and don't worry we will finish in the top half of the AAC and I'm sure the guru will find us a 6'9" transfer with a 1.8ppg. 2Reb. 1 blk a game STUD!!! To think I wasn't going to drink today! Best laid plans!#pop#fizz#oh whatarelief10is!

The best part of this post is it being one paragraph. Mix a few more sentences in there and you'd be exploring historic waters.

Reaction Score
How many top 100 recruits did the NBE get? (this is an honest question, not meant to be a counter argument)

I'm case anyone was actually interested in the answer to this, I quickly counted 6

Reaction Score

There's Rookie of the Year and Dope of the Year, guess which one you ran way with?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom