VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow | Page 6 | The Boneyard

VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow

Reaction Score
That is a huge if ....Larrier and Gilbert have had multi similar injuries in a short time.
Gilbert will be fine. I wouldn't worry about his shoulder at all. Larrier is an unknown though

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no denying that UConns brand has taken a hit. 5 years ago we were borderline blue blood, now we are a dumpster fire losing recruits to Providence, St. John's, and Texas tech. If KO fails next year, the downward spiral will only accelerate, if that's even possible. We surely will not hire a big name coach. We will be forced to reach on an up and comer or settle for a has been. Either way the path to re-establishing as a regional program seems more clear then regaining our national stature. Let's pull fir KO and the staff in large part because we gave no choice. If he gives, so to does the program.
eeyore-1.gif

Reaction Score
I thought carrier had the same injury at vcu? Am I thinking the big guy from tampa
Yeah you are getting Larrier and Durham who blew out each of his acl's in high school mixed up.

Reaction Score
I thought carrier had the same injury at vcu? Am I thinking the big guy from tampa

You may be thinking of Durham, unless I'm wrong. I just don't remember anything about Larrier.

The injuries coupled with the lack of playing together ever before is going to make the early season rather testy. I just hope they get it together as the AAC starts. Glad they scheduled Villanova in the middle of the conference regular season, as that should be a good barometer (granted, I have no idea who is on Nova anymore).

Reaction Score
Though I think the larger point still remains. Wasn't an injury but he still effectively missed 2 years with the RS year and the ACL

Reaction Score
As they say in real estate, it is "Location, location and location".

This league is putting out a bad stink that you can be sure that all the opposing coaches are blowing in the recruit's faces.

Reaction Score
As they say in real estate, it is "Location, location and location".

This league is putting out a bad stink that you can be sure that all the opposing coaches are blowing in the recruit's faces.

This kid originally committed to vcu; an a-10 team.

And you are blaming the conference for us not getting him.

Try to at least think about things before just blaming the conference for everything.

Reaction Score
I have plenty of positive posts but the vultures don't circle until you challenge their world view. I don't think I've said anything controversial. We need to win games and sign recruits.

1) Win games

2) Sign recruits during the season, add some new names during a successful season

3) Get to the tourney, keep kids interested and close

4) Uh oh, don't want to know this one.

The only way these things "you know" about go away is to win. And while we are recruiting for immediate needs no one can be sure of why they are saying no they just are. These are last minute kids, most teams are in for the first time with these transfers or grad transfers why does everyone believe we should always be the favorites?

Sid wanted to say home, this guy from VCU still saw 3 guards who are very good in front of him (and no barbecue) with no guarantee that Jalen is a shoe in and Bruce Pearl made sure he told him that. Waters, well anyone thinking this meant anything at all in regards to grading the staff is clueless the whole escapade was a joke. I mean the combo of what you know and these factors make things tough right now so the only way out is to win and get the confidence in KO and the staff back.

Reaction Score

Try to at least think about things before just blaming the conference for everything.

Neither position is provable.

He was a 3 star kid, he wasn't rated in the top 200, and his offers were from the likes of Bowling Green, James Madison, Temple and Western Kentucky.

He only had one P5 offer in high school, and it was from Penn State, which has a notoriously bad reputation for basketball, and anyone who has ever been to State College, PA can understand why.

Reaction Score

Hmmm, maybe upstater can come back with a mirrored reply just replacing the conference with "KO"?

Reaction Score
Just sitting back and reading the post has revealed to me.....that we're all saying the same damn thing! Lol

Yep on opposite ends of the spectrum unfortunately. Problem is the one's in the know only lean towards KO and the staff for the blame. There is no middle ground there when obviously some of these have had other reasons relating to geography, family, depth at a position etc etc and no matter who KO murdered it wasn't his fault.

Reaction Score
Yep on opposite ends of the spectrum unfortunately. Problem is the one's in the know only lean towards KO and the staff for the blame. There is no middle ground there when obviously some of these have had other reasons relating to geography, family, depth at a position etc etc and no matter who KO murdered it wasn't his fault.
True. Its hard to have a conversation with the ones "in the know" because its hard to know exactly what they know and how bad it actually is. What's horrible to them may not be to someone else. But I do respect the fact that they just know something I dont and it kind of gives them a leg up. But I think we all agree the only cure is winning. That seems like a consensus

Reaction Score
Mau normally I agree with you regarding most things UCONN but I know we definitely disagree on KO, I love that the administration gave him a chance and I do believe he was instrumental to us winning in 2014 even if they were JC's players. I just believe for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to build and sustain the program. I mean who have thought we might be looking two non NIT seasons in a row. UCONN is still a strong brand but if we don't start winning and soon the name will lose it's shine and we will just become a has been. The thing I like about this next year is either KO will have a great season and UCONN will be in the NCAA's or least the bubble or looking for a new coach and beginning. I'm hoping KO can pull it off but like many on this site I have my doubts based on the last 3 years and this off season.

Reaction Score
Mau normally I agree with you regarding most things UConn but I know we definitely disagree on KO, I love that the administration gave him a chance and I do believe he was instrumental to us winning in 2014 even if they were JC's players. I just believe for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to build and sustain the program. I mean who have thought we might be looking two non NIT seasons in a row. UConn is still a strong brand but if we don't start winning and soon the name will lose it's shine and we will just become a has been. The thing I like about this next year is either KO will have a great season and UCOON will be in close or in the NCAA's or looking a new coach and beginning. I'm hoping KO can pull it off but like many on this site I have my doubts based on the last 3 years and this off season.

Must say I'm not sure we disagree about anything other than I have the confidence he will and you have less. Otherwise I think we're on the same page?

Reaction Score
Must say I'm not sure we disagree about anything other than I have the confidence he will and you have less. Otherwise I think we're on the same page?
I guess it seemed from an earlier post of yours that you were trying to rationalize all of KO's recruiting misses this off season. I personally think just a couple years ago KO wouldn't be missing on these recruits like he is now. I do agree about Waters being the exception. I personally don't think we were that heavily involved in his recruitment based on the VJ fiasco.

I'm pulling for KO! I hope he can do it but right now it is kind of scary with what we have back. I hope the 3 injured players are fully healthy or otherwise it could end being a ugly final curtain call for KO.

Reaction Score
I guess it seemed from an earlier post of yours that you were trying to rationalize all of KO's recruiting misses this off season. I personally think just a couple years ago KO wouldn't be missing on these recruits like he is now. I do agree about Waters being the exception. I personally don't think we were that heavily involved in his recruitment based on the VJ fiasco.

I'm pulling for KO! I hope he can do it but right now it is kind of scary with what we have back. I hope the 3 injured players are fully healthy or otherwise it could end being a ugly final curtain call for KO.

I am sure they would have won 1 or 2 others more than likely but not all of them. It seems every loss was a chance for the naysayers to prove he's killing us. Something is off kilter I have no doubt, but with him it can't be bad enough that he cannot make up ground on what he lost, that's how I feel. He's still a great guy no matter what happened and if adjustments in coaching and life need to be made now then they will be made.

But winning will cure all any way.

Reaction Score
It's June, nevertheless, in the Boneyard:

"Now is the winter of our discontent..."

from Richard III, by William Shakespeare

Reaction Score
I am sure they would have won 1 or 2 others more than likely but not all of them. It seems every loss was a chance for the naysayers to prove he's killing us. Something is off kilter I have no doubt, but with him it can't be bad enough that he cannot make up ground on what he lost, that's how I feel. He's still a great guy no matter what happened and if adjustments in coaching and life need to be made now then they will be made.

But winning will cure all any way.
I'm not writing KO off. I would be foolish to so based on his past. He has proven this in the NBA and his first year at UCONN that when his back is against the wall he will come out fighting to survive. This is the mentality he needs if he wants to save his job.

Reaction Score
True. Its hard to have a conversation with the ones "in the know" because its hard to know exactly what they know and how bad it actually is. What's horrible to them may not be to someone else. But I do respect the fact that they just know something I dont and it kind of gives them a leg up. But I think we all agree the only cure is winning. That seems like a consensus

Ask them what it is. They'll tell you. It is not mind-blowing, I promise you. And then I also realize the reactions of much the same people in 2013 when he was hired and in 2014 when he wasn't coaching well, and it seems to me they've taken the new info and ramped it up even more.

Reaction Score
Why did it suddenly start to matter this year? Come on with the conference bro

It didn't start this year. It just finally started catching up to us this year. I have said this before, and you can agree to disagree if you wish to do so. We are now in recruiting battles with Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Creighton, Texas Tech, and Auburn. We have lost players to all but Creighton in the last two months. The conference matters. It just doesn't have the cache of The Big East, ACC, Big 10 or SEC. No matter what public statements the Mr. Benedict or HCKO put forward, they know they are suffering due to conference affiliation. It isn't the only recruiting issue right now, but it is a definite issue. Mr. Benedict and HCKO would sign right now for the ACC or the Big 10. There would be no hesitation.

With that being said, I have faith that we can continue to get players. It just appears to me that we have to work a bit harder. We used to be able to say to recruits that coming to The Big East was a no brainer because it was the best conference for basketball in the country. JC got Lyman DePriest and Chris Smith by selling them on the opportunity to play against the best. Then, after 1990, he got Donyell Marhsall, Donny Marshall, Brian Fair and Kevin Ollie by selling them on coming to one of the best programs in the best league in the country.

The league matters, but it is only one issue.

Reaction Score
It didn't start this year. It just finally started catching up to us this year. I have said this before, and you can agree to disagree if you wish to do so. We are now in recruiting battles with Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Creighton, Texas Tech, and Auburn. We have lost players to all but Creighton in the last two months. The conference matters. It just doesn't have the cache of The Big East, ACC, Big 10 or SEC. No matter what public statements the Mr. Benedict or HCKO put forward, they know they are suffering due to conference affiliation. It isn't the only recruiting issue right now, but it is a definite issue. Mr. Benedict and HCKO would sign right now for the ACC or the Big 10. There would be no hesitation.

With that being said, I have faith that we can continue to get players. It just appears to me that we have to work a bit harder. We used to be able to say to recruits that coming to The Big East was a no brainer because it was the best conference for basketball in the country. JC got Lyman DePriest and Chris Smith by selling them on the opportunity to play against the best. Then, after 1990, he got Donyell Marhsall, Donny Marshall, Brian Fair and Kevin Ollie by selling them on coming to one of the best programs in the best league in the country.

The league matters, but it is only one issue.
No one is doubting that the conference has had a negative impact in recruiting but it hasn't hurt Cincy or SMU as much. The reason is that they are finishing in the top 2 or 3 of the league and going to the tourney every year for the most part. Even just up to last year we were recruiting fine. If we were winning and finishing in the top 2 in the league I don't think we would be suffering as bad as we are now. The championship gave us a small reprieve but now recruits are seeing us becoming a very mediocre in an average league. The league does have an impact but losing has just a big of impact if not more to prospective recruits. If we can't finish in the top 2 in the league which is sad then this is going to be our future. So yes the league does affect us but so does losing in this league which we seem to do a lot of lately.

Reaction Score
No one is doubting that the conference has had a negative impact in recruiting but it hasn't hurt Cincy or SMU as much. The reason is that they are finishing in the top 2 or 3 of the league and going to the tourney every year for the most part. Even just up to last year we were recruiting fine. If we were winning and finishing in the top 2 in the league I don't think we would be suffering as bad as we are now. The championship gave us a small reprieve but now recruits are seeing us becoming a very mediocre in an average league. The league does have an impact but losing has just a big of impact if not more to prospective recruits. If we can't finish in the top 2 in the league which is sad then this is going to be our future. So yes the league does affect us but so does losing in this league which we seem to do a lot of lately.

People keep saying this about Cincy and SMU's recruiting, but it is not all that it is cracked up to be. Also, SMU only has 2 NCAA appearances during Ollie's tenure, one in a play-in game. They are 0-2 during Ollie's tenure.

This line gets mentioned repeatedly on this board, but the reality is different.

Reaction Score
The other thing that is happening here is people are getting too caught up in these recruiting "battles" late in the year. These are not representative of the typical recruiting process with the exception of Sid Wilson who we have actually been recruiting over a period of time. These guys are all leftovers or transfers that we weren't really recruiting anyway and then jumped in on at the last minute. We then expect to have a fantastic hit ratio with these guys that our staff hardly knows and point fingers at everything imaginable when they don't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom