VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow | Page 7 | The Boneyard

VCU transfer Samir Doughty visiting tomorrow

Reaction Score
People keep saying this about Cincy and SMU's recruiting, but it is not all that it is cracked up to be. Also, SMU only has 2 NCAA appearances during Ollie's tenure, one in a play-in game. They are 0-2 during Ollie's tenure.

This line gets mentioned repeatedly on this board, but the reality is different.

Its from watching them dominate UConn over the last three years. Gets tough watching UConn go on the road and lose by 20+ every year to SMU. Agreed SMU outside AAC hasn't done anything but they have been the much better team over the last three years.

They would have had three appearances and most likely kept UConn out a couple years ago but were suspended.

Reaction Score
Its from watching them dominate UConn over the last three years. Gets tough watching UConn go on the road and lose by 20+ every year to SMU. Agreed SMU outside AAC hasn't done anything but they have been the much better team over the last three years.

They would have had three appearances and most likely kept UConn out a couple years ago but were suspended.

UConn would have had 3 appearances as well in Ollie's tenure if not for the ban, not to mention the fact that SMU was banned for cheating, whereas UConn was banned for something totally ridiculous.

By the way, Syracuse won a NC after being dominated by UConn that year. UConn won a national championship after being dominated by Louisville. At the end of the day, winning the conference tourney and advancing in the NCAAs do matter.

Reaction Score
UConn would have had 3 appearances as well in Ollie's tenure if not for the ban, not to mention the fact that SMU was banned for cheating, whereas UConn was banned for something totally ridiculous.

By the way, Syracuse won a NC after being dominated by UConn that year. UConn won a national championship after being dominated by Louisville. At the end of the day, winning the conference tourney and advancing in the NCAAs do matter.

First I agree UConn ban was biggest joke ever. Ollie had a great year during the ban and followed it with a NC(he was the man no doubt about it). This is why he has an unreal contract.

I'm missing your point, Cuse didn't have to go through UConn, and UConn didn't need to beat Louisville(thankful). You're also comparing two the upper tier teams in college vs Cincy, and SMU. I'm trying to be competitive in the AAC, I have a heard time think NC with this team right now.

I'm going off a three year sample. Watching SMU and Cincy be better than UConn is just painful and sad. That's why those teams are brought up.

All the talent is pretty close among these teams, a lot of it comes to coaching and getting the most talent out of your kids. What happened to KO???

Reaction Score
First I agree UConn ban was biggest joke ever. Ollie had a great year during the ban and followed it with a NC(he was the man no doubt about it). This is why he has an unreal contract.

I'm missing your point, Cuse didn't have to go through UConn, and UConn didn't need to beat Louisville(thankful). You're also comparing two the upper tier teams in college vs Cincy, and SMU. I'm trying to be competitive in the AAC, I have a heard time think NC with this team right now.

I'm going off a three year sample. Watching SMU and Cincy be better than UConn is just painful and sad. That's why those teams are brought up.

All the talent is pretty close among these teams, a lot of it comes to coaching and getting the most talent out of your kids. What happened to KO???

I thought my point was pretty clear. Just because a team has your number, doesn't mean they have a more successful season.

So SMU beat UConn--but they can't win in the NCAAs. UConn, despite losing to SMU, wins it all one year, and wins a tourney and beats Colorado in the NCAAs another year.

Yes, UConn was bad against SMU. But then you have to take the rest of it into account. winning in March counts for something. And I'm not only referring to 2014.

C

Chief00

I guess it seemed from an earlier post of yours that you were trying to rationalize all of KO's recruiting misses this off season. I personally think just a couple years ago KO wouldn't be missing on these recruits like he is now. I do agree about Waters being the exception. I personally don't think we were that heavily involved in his recruitment based on the VJ fiasco.

I'm pulling for KO! I hope he can do it but right now it is kind of scary with what we have back. I hope the 3 injured players are fully healthy or otherwise it could end being a ugly final curtain call for KO.

Let's give Bunkey a little credit on the recruiting front during that period.

Reaction Score
I thought my point was pretty clear. Just because a team has your number, doesn't mean they have a more successful season.

So SMU beat UConn--but they can't win in the NCAAs. UConn, despite losing to SMU, wins it all one year, and wins a tourney and beats Colorado in the NCAAs another year.

Yes, UConn was bad against SMU. But then you have to take the rest of it into account. winning in March counts for something. And I'm not only referring to 2014.

Do not try to take any positives from these seasons upstater it's unfair to many who can't or won't. :oops:

SMU could still run into a rough patch eventually. In a smaller manner they had Larry Brown who did a great job recruiting new and transfers, now he's gone lots of nice leftovers for 'Vich. More key players will go each year we will see how they rebuild. And I'm not buying the Cincy main on us, pretty sure it just started and won't last that long.

Reaction Score
Cincy and SMU have nothing on UConn. If we didn't get absolutely hosed by the officials we would've beat Cincy and played SMU in our backyard for the right to go to the NCAAT. There was no way the AAC was gonna let UConn beat Cincy for the fourth straight year in the conference tourney especially in Hartford especially after all the crying Little Mick did after the 4OT game in 2016. Both teams can have fun trying to stop Jalen Adams and company next year.

Reaction Score
Cincy and SMU have nothing on UConn. If we didn't get absolutely hosed by the officials we would've beat Cincy and played SMU in our backyard for the right to go to the NCAAT. There was no way the AAC was gonna let UConn beat Cincy for the fourth straight year in the conference tourney especially in Hartford especially after all the crying Little Mick did after the 4OT game in 2016. Both teams can have fun trying to stop Jalen Adams and company next year.
you're right. The AAC didn't want its most valuable property playing in the championship game.

where do you people come from?

Reaction Score
you're right. The AAC didn't want its most valuable property playing in the championship game.

where do you people come from?

Where do I come from? You and I could have a private chat about that and I'd be happy to fill you in.

If you watched the game and don't think UConn got hosed your dumb and blind. The refs made it abundantly clear there was no way UConn was winning that game.

Reaction Score
Where do I come from? You and I could have a private chat about that and I'd be happy to fill you in.

If you watched the game and don't think UConn got hosed your dumb and blind. The refs made it abundantly clear there was no way UConn was winning that game.
This is the worst conspiracy I've ever heard of. There is literally no motive. The AAC would have loved to see UConn play in the championship game in Hartford with a chance to send their highest profile team to the tournament via autobid.

Reaction Score
This is the worst conspiracy I've ever heard of. There is literally no motive. The AAC would have loved to see UConn play in the championship game in Hartford with a chance to send their highest profile team to the tournament via autobid.

I gave you the motive. UConn had ousted Cincy three years in a row on top of beating them in the 2011 NCAAT when Cincy supposedly had their greatest team under Cronin that would've went on to win the NC, according to them. All Cronin has done is cry that UConn has gotten the calls in every tight postseason game especially the 2014 Sean Kilpatrick game and the 2016 Adams' 65 foot heave 4OT game. If UConn won a tight one in 2017 Cronin would've went berserk. There's no conspiracy it is what it is. There's bad refs and bad calls but then there's overt hose jobs and UConn got hosed.

Reaction Score
I gave you the motive. UConn had ousted Cincy three years in a row on top of beating them in the 2011 NCAAT when Cincy supposedly had their greatest team under Cronin that would've went on to win the NC, according to them. All Cronin has done is cry that UConn has gotten the calls in every tight postseason game especially the 2014 Sean Kilpatrick game and the 2016 Adams' 65 foot heave 4OT game. If UConn won a tight one in 2017 Cronin would've went berserk. There's no conspiracy it is what it is. There's bad refs and bad calls but then there's overt hose jobs and UConn got hosed.
you're a crazy person

Reaction Score
I dont believe in that conspiracy. But we indeed got hosed, but it was just pathetic officiating

Reaction Score
Let's give Bunkey a little credit on the recruiting front during that period.

100%. We all owe Bunkey a huge debt of gratitude for luring in all those high profile recruits who have since fled Storrs as if the place was on fire.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
IMG_2680.JPG

Reaction Score
It didn't start this year. It just finally started catching up to us this year. I have said this before, and you can agree to disagree if you wish to do so. We are now in recruiting battles with Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Creighton, Texas Tech, and Auburn. We have lost players to all but Creighton in the last two months. The conference matters. It just doesn't have the cache of The Big East, ACC, Big 10 or SEC. No matter what public statements the Mr. Benedict or HCKO put forward, they know they are suffering due to conference affiliation. It isn't the only recruiting issue right now, but it is a definite issue. Mr. Benedict and HCKO would sign right now for the ACC or the Big 10. There would be no hesitation.

With that being said, I have faith that we can continue to get players. It just appears to me that we have to work a bit harder. We used to be able to say to recruits that coming to The Big East was a no brainer because it was the best conference for basketball in the country. JC got Lyman DePriest and Chris Smith by selling them on the opportunity to play against the best. Then, after 1990, he got Donyell Marhsall, Donny Marshall, Brian Fair and Kevin Ollie by selling them on coming to one of the best programs in the best league in the country.

The league matters, but it is only one issue.
I just think emphasis on the conference is far less important when you are in established brand/program. Between that and the connection to the head coach makes the conference much less important. As recent as last year we brought in the #5 or #6 recruiting class in the nation. Why did we do that? It had nothing to do with the conference, it had to do with the Uconn brand and perception, and positive connection to HCKO. And I would argue the conference is actually much better than Manny believe. Of course we would jump to the ACC or BIG in a heartbeat. But with the addition of Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, Temple And us, it's not a terrible conference. If anything worth the program weighing it down more than the top five, given we consistently finish 6th-ish in the Conf. Right now recruits you're not coming to our program because of the program taking a nosedive in the last three years. We lost most of that top recruiting class because of players lack of confidence/ Comfort level with The coaching staff and the program. I can assure you losing 4 top recruits had little to do with the conference. Similarly, landing those for recruits also had little to do with the conference. I just think too much is emphasized on the conference. Conference matters more when you're not in established/elite level program. We will have to agree to disagree on the importance of conference affiliation with the program like Connecticut

C

Chief00

100%. We all owe Bunkey a huge debt of gratitude for luring in all those high profile recruits who have since fled Storrs as if the place was on fire.
He did his job; the guys came. Its tough to keep the dudes here when Bunkey is not here himself to keep everything real. I warned folks about Bunkey leaving but the consequences along with certain other factors made things worse than I could have imagine.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'll keep it real.

Are we really doing this? Again?

I've seen this movie already.

Reaction Score
This kid originally committed to vcu; an a-10 team.

And you are blaming the conference for us not getting him.

Try to at least think about things before just blaming the conference for everything.
To say that our league has not been a MAJOR factor in losing one recruit after another this year is ludicrous.

Here is what I think! After winning 4 NCAA titles and bringing in a coach who can't even bring in players he previously recruited to Washington, we see one recruit after another going elsewhere.

Losing the Italian kid to Texas Tech? Seriously?

So ya think this league is not to blame. Okay.

Reaction Score
To say that our league has not been a MAJOR factor in losing one recruit after another this year is ludicrous.

Here is what I think! After winning 4 NCAA titles and bringing in a coach who can't even bring in players he previously recruited to Washington, we see one recruit after another going elsewhere.

Losing the Italian kid to Texas Tech? Seriously?

So ya think this league is not to blame. Okay.

I mean we've lost recruits because of the league I have no doubt, but you need to do better than the Italian kid. Not sure the league or the 4 guards who he'd have to battle with for playing time was the biggest factor here. I'm going to guess the latter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom