Vanderbilt | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
My take on this year's Vanderbilt team:

A few months back, I saw a video on youtube entitled “The Most Dangerous Shot in Basketball.” It turned out to be a series of clips of UConn teams getting a defensive rebound, flying down the court and dishing it to teammates set up on the three-point line. They proceeded to drain the three-pointers. I think this is how coach Ralph will want her team to play this season.

No, we don’t have Katie Lou Samuelson, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Paige Bueckers or Azzi Fudd, but, we do have shooters. I feel like some combination of Iyana Moore, Justine Pissott, Ryanne Allen, Agata Makurat and Jada Brown will be effective on any given night. And, freshmen Madison Greene and Khamil Pierre are no slouches. Those seven players are versatile enough to move around a bit, so it should be possible to have three of them on the floor most of the time at the two, three and four positions.

I think we’re going to see a lot more UConn-style motion offense this season. That’s what coach Ralph wanted to do from the beginning, but she hasn’t had the personnel. And, I think we’re going to play fast. Really fast. That’s only if we don’t start slinging the ball around and turning it over. But, we have a lot of ball handlers, so turnovers should be limited. I also expect plenty of pressure defense. We should have the depth to press and run with the ball, and that’s obviously in coach Ralph’s DNA.

The big concern with my grand plan is the same concern Vandy teams have had forever and a day…rebounding. Even though the team gets quite a bit bigger with this year’s recruiting class, we still don’t have that big space eater in the post. Junior Sacha Washington, at 6’2, still figures to be our leading post player.

All is not lost. We do have good size on the wings with 6’4 Justine Pissott, 6’2 Aga Makurat (I think she’s taller) and 6’2 Khamil Pierre along with 6’1 Ryanne Allen. Also, 5’10 guard Jordyn Oliver should help on the boards with her strength and physicality. Jordyn Cambridge is also an excellent rebounder from the guard position.

Of those six players, though, only the guards are known for their physicality. The wings are going to have to find a way to help out on the boards. Washington, at 6’2, is an excellent rebounder and will do her part. She needs some help.

Along with the versatility of this year’s squad comes lot of options for the rotation of players. I expect a lot of experimenting early in the season, and if we play as fast as I think we will, it could be a deep rotation. Nine or 10 players getting meaningful minutes would not be a surprise.

I hope I’m right about everything except the rebounding problems. I try to sound like I know what I’m talking about in these posts, but I don’t. I really don’t. I have no insider information. Vandy women’s basketball is my only true sports passion these days, and I like talking/writing about the team. I don’t really have anyone to talk to about it, so message board friends get to suffer my long-winded dissertations. Sorry about that.

Reaction Score
My take on this year's Vanderbilt team:

A few months back, I saw a video on youtube entitled “The Most Dangerous Shot in Basketball.” It turned out to be a series of clips of UConn teams getting a defensive rebound, flying down the court and dishing it to teammates set up on the three-point line. They proceeded to drain the three-pointers. I think this is how coach Ralph will want her team to play this season.

No, we don’t have Katie Lou Samuelson, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Paige Bueckers or Azzi Fudd, but, we do have shooters. I feel like some combination of Iyana Moore, Justine Pissott, Ryanne Allen, Agata Makurat and Jada Brown will be effective on any given night. And, freshmen Madison Greene and Khamil Pierre are no slouches. Those seven players are versatile enough to move around a bit, so it should be possible to have three of them on the floor most of the time at the two, three and four positions.

I think we’re going to see a lot more UConn-style motion offense this season. That’s what coach Ralph wanted to do from the beginning, but she hasn’t had the personnel. And, I think we’re going to play fast. Really fast. That’s only if we don’t start slinging the ball around and turning it over. But, we have a lot of ball handlers, so turnovers should be limited. I also expect plenty of pressure defense. We should have the depth to press and run with the ball, and that’s obviously in coach Ralph’s DNA.

The big concern with my grand plan is the same concern Vandy teams have had forever and a day…rebounding. Even though the team gets quite a bit bigger with this year’s recruiting class, we still don’t have that big space eater in the post. Junior Sacha Washington, at 6’2, still figures to be our leading post player.

All is not lost. We do have good size on the wings with 6’4 Justine Pissott, 6’2 Aga Makurat (I think she’s taller) and 6’2 Khamil Pierre along with 6’1 Ryanne Allen. Also, 5’10 guard Jordyn Oliver should help on the boards with her strength and physicality. Jordyn Cambridge is also an excellent rebounder from the guard position.

Of those six players, though, only the guards are known for their physicality. The wings are going to have to find a way to help out on the boards. Washington, at 6’2, is an excellent rebounder and will do her part. She needs some help.

Along with the versatility of this year’s squad comes lot of options for the rotation of players. I expect a lot of experimenting early in the season, and if we play as fast as I think we will, it could be a deep rotation. Nine or 10 players getting meaningful minutes would not be a surprise.

I hope I’m right about everything except the rebounding problems. I try to sound like I know what I’m talking about in these posts, but I don’t. I really don’t. I have no insider information. Vandy women’s basketball is my only true sports passion these days, and I like talking/writing about the team. I don’t really have anyone to talk to about it, so message board friends get to suffer my long-winded dissertations. Sorry about that.
You don't have to apologize for being passionate.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lets hope for the best for former Vanderbilt alum Maria Fasoula who went down with a knee injury in yesterdays Euroleague game, for Avenida. It didnt look good.

Reaction Score
Finally found a video of coach Ralph's full comments from the podium at Thursday's SEC Media Days. Some good comments about her UConn days in there.

sun

Reaction Score
Finally found a video of coach Ralph's full comments from the podium at Thursday's SEC Media Days. Some good comments about her UConn days in there.

Shea continues to convince me that every bit of progress that she can accomplish will give her so much gratification that she won't ever want to leave Vandy for as long as they're willing to keep her. I think that she'll be a mainstay there because if she doesn't have success there then no one ever will. Everyone there knows that she has her goals & puts in her effort. The rest is up to the players. She looks very happy to be at Vandy & fighting for wins.

Reaction Score
I woke up bright and early with my game face on, but I avoided the urge to leap out of bed for fear of injury. It's game day y'all!

Vandy opens at home against the ASun's Kennesaw State (15-16 last season). Game time is 11 a.m. CST. For those interested in watching, here is the SEC+ link:

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/7999ab69-7b45-4060-9a48-faf83bebb424

My guess at the starting lineup:

1. Jordyn Cambridge-Grad (I'm assuming she's healthy enough to go. My guess is 20-25 minutes)
2. Bella LaChance-Senior (This is with the assumption that Iyana Moore is still lagging a bit behind Cambridge in her recovery from surgery, which cost her all of last season. I still look for Moore to play, but the senior LaChance is a steady, do-no-harm alternative until Moore is 100 percent)
3&4. Justine Pissott-Soph (I expect her to be the key offensive player, probably all season)
3&4. Ryanne Allen-Soph (I look for Allen to make a big leap forward this season. Hopefully, the offensive scheme will find allow her more freedom on the perimeter where she is most comfortable)
5. Sacha Washington-Jun (The biggest dead-solid lock in this list. Coach Ralph has said Washington is much improved, and she is excited to see what she can do this season)

No doubt we are going to see a lot of pressure defense and hopefully a lot of fast-break opportunities as a result. I'm excited to see everybody but especially the five freshmen along with Pissott and Duke grad transfer Jordyn Oliver.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I woke up bright and early with my game face on, but I avoided the urge to leap out of bed for fear of injury. It's game day y'all!

Vandy opens at home against the ASun's Kennesaw State (15-16 last season). Game time is 11 a.m. CST. For those interested in watching, here is the SEC+ link:

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/7999ab69-7b45-4060-9a48-faf83bebb424

My guess at the starting lineup:

1. Jordyn Cambridge-Grad (I'm assuming she's healthy enough to go. My guess is 20-25 minutes)
2. Bella LaChance-Senior (This is with the assumption that Iyana Moore is still lagging a bit behind Cambridge in her recovery from surgery, which cost her all of last season. I still look for Moore to play, but the senior LaChance is a steady, do-no-harm alternative until Moore is 100 percent)
3&4. Justine Pissott-Soph (I expect her to be the key offensive player, probably all season)
3&4. Ryanne Allen-Soph (I look for Allen to make a big leap forward this season. Hopefully, the offensive scheme will find allow her more freedom on the perimeter where she is most comfortable)
5. Sacha Washington-Jun (The biggest dead-solid lock in this list. Coach Ralph has said Washington is much improved, and she is excited to see what she can do this season)

No doubt we are going to see a lot of pressure defense and hopefully a lot of fast-break opportunities as a result. I'm excited to see everybody but especially the five freshmen along with Pissott and Duke grad transfer Jordyn Oliver.
Refresh me pls, is LaChance a transfer?

Reaction Score
Refresh me pls, is LaChance a transfer?
No, Bella is a four-year Vandy girl who was recruited and signed by Stephanie White. She's a 4.0 student who is a bit too short, not quite quick enough and maybe a tad bit short of SEC talent. She just does everything right, and she never saw a pileup she wasn't willing to stick her nose into. If she was a football quarterback, she'd be called a "game manager". She's a steadying influence on the floor, knows everyone's role and directs traffic. She came in very handy in Ralph's first two stress-filled seasons.

With that said, she probably needs to be a role player off the bench, and Iyana Moore, who is coming back from ACL surgery, needs to be on the floor when she's healthy. Maybe that's today, but, if not, I look for Shea to turn to LaChance to help steady things. Even then, I expect a quick rotation because the team does have some promising guards/wings who need to see playing time.

Also, if coach decides to press and run like I think she will, she's going to need fresh bodies, especially this early in the season. Even though Cambridge appears to be ready to play, I doubt she is ready for long and grueling time on the court. That's why I predict 20-25 minutes for her and maybe less for Moore.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No, Bella is a four-year Vandy girl who was recruited and signed by Stephanie White. She's a 4.0 student who is a bit too short, not quite quick enough and maybe a tad bit short of SEC talent. She just does everything right, and she never saw a pileup she wasn't willing to stick her nose into. If she was a football quarterback, she'd be called a "game manager". She's a steadying influence on the floor, knows everyone's role and directs traffic. She came in very handy in Ralph's first two stress-filled seasons.

With that said, she probably needs to be a role player off the bench, and Iyana Moore, who is coming back from ACL surgery, needs to be on the floor when she's healthy. Maybe that's today, but, if not, I look for Shea to turn to LaChance to help steady things. Even then, I expect a quick rotation because the team does have some promising guards/wings who need to see playing time.

Also, if coach decides to press and run like I think she will, she's going to need fresh bodies, especially this early in the season. Even though Cambridge appears to be ready to play, I doubt she is ready for long and grueling time on the court. That's why I predict 20-25 minutes for her and maybe less for Moore.

Can you tell I'm excited?
Yes! It all sounds good. Thanks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks like, midway thru Q3, Cambridge and Washington are the leading scorers. Moore also has 11 and 2 players have 9 each. I forgot the younger Makurat plays for Vandy. She has 5 in 11 minutes. Nicely spread out box score.

As I was typing this, Pissot who "only" had 4 went on a scoring spree and now is up to 11 points LOL.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A pretty good start to the season with five players in double figures, 84% from FT line, and 22 assists on 31 baskets.

Reaction Score
Coach Ralph's postgame press conference after the Kennesaw State win in season opener. She gives a pretty impassioned speech that got me fired up. She does that to me. :)

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Coach Ralph's postgame press conference after the Kennesaw State win in season opener. She gives a pretty impassioned speech that got me fired up. She does that to me. :)

What's up with Gilmore? Coach Ralph wasn't really fore-coming on details.

Reaction Score
What's up with Gilmore? Coach Ralph wasn't really fore-coming on details.
I suspect they want to redshirt her unless injuries or other factors make that difficult. She was always going to be a ways behind. My initial amateur assessment of her was that she would be a bit of a project. She's 6'3 and athletic. She was also her high school's valedictorian, so an extra year on scholarship to get her masters degree could be appealing to her.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier was on hand to watch Vandy and coach Ralph get the season-opening win today. She's truly a beautiful lady.

Yes, a classic beauty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom