Vanderbilt | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
@YoDore - methinks Vandy is going to do better than 13th of 14th place this year.
I predicted 10th, which I think is a reasonable expectation still. Today offers a peek behind the curtain to show what it's like being a Vanderbilt sports fan: In the same ESPN article naming Vandy the team of the week, the lead portion was a more in-depth piece calling N.C. State the hottest team in the nation.

Guess who Vandy plays on the road Wednesday night.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I predicted 10th, which I think is a reasonable expectation still. Today offers a peek behind the curtain to show what it's like being a Vanderbilt sports fan: In the same ESPN article naming Vandy the team of the week, the lead portion was a more in-depth piece calling N.C. State the hottest team in the nation.

Guess who Vandy plays on the road Wednesday night.

Tell your team to eat a few Clif Bars and drink some Alkaline water on Wednesday afternoon.. Whew..

Reaction Score
Some of you Shea Ralph fans might enjoy her interview last night on The Commodore Hour. It's about 20 minutes long. She gives a pretty good report on N.C. State in the second part of the interview.

Click the link
Click Commodore Hour at top of list
Fast forward to 20-minute mark for the start of the interview

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Very nice! I thought the days of "free" listening for major universities was over. That site seems to have all of the older broadcasts available without an account.

Nice interview with Shea Ralph. I cracked a smile, hearing her talk about Kay Yow and how NC State recruited her...but she chose UCONN. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Reaction Score
Very nice! I thought the days of "free" listening for major universities was over. That site seems to have all of the older broadcasts available without an account.

Nice interview with Shea Ralph. I cracked a smile, hearing her talk about Kay Yow and how NC State recruited her...but she chose UCONN. And the rest, as they say, is history.
I've heard Shea mention coach Yow on numerous occasions, especially when she talks about the history and progress of women's basketball. She seems to rank her right up there with coach Summitt in terms of her early influences. Geno, of course, is most important in molding her view of the game. That's three pretty good mentors if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Hats off to Vandy and Coach Ralph. Playing a Top 10 program and did not give up. Something positive to build on for the rest of the season, especially for the SEC leg of the season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've heard Shea mention coach Yow on numerous occasions, especially when she talks about the history and progress of women's basketball. She seems to rank her right up there with coach Summitt in terms of her early influences. Geno, of course, is most important in molding her view of the game. That's three pretty good mentors if you ask me.
IIRC she was always very respectful of Pat too even though she played at the peak of the rivalry. I’ve always been a big Shea fan.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Vandy vs Butler tonight at 7 pm, and for those of you whose FloHoops subscription doesn't expire until later this month, you're in luck!

Reaction Score
Vandy vs Butler tonight at 7 pm, and for those of you whose FloHoops subscription doesn't expire until later this month, you're in luck!
Not going to lie, this one scares me.

Reaction Score
20-11 game at halftime? This one must be hard on the eyes.
Vandy 9 of 33 from the field, 0-5 from three. Held Butler to four in the second quarter, and the Bulldogs have 18 turnovers. Hard on the eyes doesn't begin to describe it. The scary thing is, what if we're not in the mood to play that kind of defense the second half.

Reaction Score
Finally beat Butler 51-39. Believe it or not, Vandy actually played quite well in most facets but had an awful night shooting the ball...34 percent from the field...Had 64 shots to 44 for Butler...had 21 offensive rebounds...created 24 turnovers and only turned it over 12. Even with all that, it took a nice fourth-quarter run to put the game away.

For that shooting performance, I offer my sincere apologies to the spirit of Jimmy Chitwood. (If you haven't seen "Hoosiers"and don't know who Jimmy Chitwood is, shame on you)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the second week in a row, Vandy women are on the "next four out" list on ESPN's bracketology. Yeah, that's barely noteworthy for a lot of programs, but when you haven't been to the tournament in a decade, it's good to hear your name associated with it in any way.

Reaction Score
Finally beat Butler 51-39. Believe it or not, Vandy actually played quite well in most facets but had an awful night shooting the ball...34 percent from the field...Had 64 shots to 44 for Butler...had 21 offensive rebounds...created 24 turnovers and only turned it over 12. Even with all that, it took a nice fourth-quarter run to put the game away.

For that shooting performance, I offer my sincere apologies to the spirit of Jimmy Chitwood. (If you haven't seen "Hoosiers"and don't know who Jimmy Chitwood is, shame on you)

Reaction Score
Vandy returns to action today after a 10-day break for exams. This is always a tricky game as the players are usually weary from a tough academic schedule and practice as a team has been minimal. I'm looking on the bright side and hoping they've managed to get into the gym individually to get up a lot of shots. If you've seen the way this team has been shooting the ball, you'll know that is sorely needed.

Game vs. hometown foe Lipscomb starts at 1 p.m. CST on SEC+. Vandy managed to win last year's matchup by one in overtime.

Reaction Score
This one even got Katie Lou out of her seat. Khamil Pierre, a 6'2 freshman, is really improving. I especially liked this because it was actually the best way to clear the ball and get the shot up cleanly. Also, the bench erupted, but Khamil just turned and went to the other end to play defense.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
One observation - Shea didn't bring the UConn uniform code with her wrt everyone wearing the same color shoes. ;)

Reaction Score
One observation - Shea didn't bring the UConn uniform code with her wrt everyone wearing the same color shoes. ;)
Yep. I was surprised a couple weeks back when Pierre suddenly showed up wearing those gaudy green shoes. I'm old. I prefer teams to dress in a uniform manner. I guess it doesn't bother Shea, though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vandy has lost top reserve Madison Greene to a knee injury. The freshman had become a true spark plug off the bench at the guard position and, even though she wasn't starting, she was playing starting minutes of late. After an 18-point performance against Louisiana Tech, she came off the bench midway through the fourth quarter at Butler when the team was having an awful time scoring. She scored eight in a row to stretch a two-point lead to 10 and settle the game. In other words, she was becoming one of the key players on the team. She injured her knee Sunday and will miss the rest of the season. I hate it for the young lady, but, she's tough, and I know she will be back next year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Vandy has lost top reserve Madison Greene to a knee injury. The freshman had become a true spark plug off the bench at the guard position and, even though she wasn't starting, she was playing starting minutes of late. After an 18-point performance against Louisiana Tech, she came off the bench midway through the fourth quarter at Butler when the team was having an awful time scoring. She scored eight in a row to stretch a two-point lead to 10 and settle the game. In other words, she was becoming one of the key players on the team. She injured her knee Sunday and will miss the rest of the season. I hate it for the young lady, but, she's tough, and I know she will be back next year.

Damn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom