Use Block C more please - (Sorry to bring up again) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Use Block C more please - (Sorry to bring up again)

Reaction Score
The Block C was the helmet used when the program had almost unbelievable success. The fact that Edsall blotted his copybook in era 2.0 does not diminish that fact.

I remember the first UConn football game I went to and saw the Bock C. My immediate reaction was that it was so classy, simple, and distinctive. A tremendous brand.

My suggestion is that it is used more often as UConn's level of success increases.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the Block C flag sentiment, although I think we should follow the US Flag Code, "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform."
It's a design based on the American flag, not an actual flag or part of the flag. The generally accepted interpretation is that this would not run afoul of the flag code.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Block C was the helmet used when the program had almost unbelievable success. The fact that Edsall blotted his copybook in era 2.0 does not diminish that fact.

I remember the first UConn football game I went to and saw the Bock C. My immediate reaction was that it was so classy, simple, and distinctive. A tremendous brand.

My suggestion is that it is used more often as UConn's level of success increases.
I may be alone here but my one complaint about the block C was that I felt it should have been slightly smaller (85%-90% of the size used). I also prefer white helmets but I like the idea of alternate uniforms.

Reaction Score
The obvious counter-argument to this is that the B1G helmets you're referring to are associated with schools that have a long history and very strong national football brand. Whatever you think about the block C, it just doesn't have that kind of history associated with it. Uniforms are being used as recruiting tools at this point and marching a team out there with the same block C helmet, that it's very unlikely recruits are attached to at all, isn't going to do much in that area.

It's nice as an option to change things up, but would be a mistake to make this a permanent thing.
Navy of all programs has had some very cool helmets

1667488514126.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Edsall! Edsall! Edsall!

The block C is the best brand mark the university has. The reason we got rid of it was because we had an athletic sports wear company who gave us a new husky logo. And still the block C is still the best brand mark the university has.
'And still the block C is still the best brand mark the university has.'

no. this is the correct answer as to 'best brand mark.' it even has that little 'tm' to prove it.

uconn-huskies-logo.png

no letters needed as anyone interested in college sports, anywhere, knows this instantly. it's cool to see some big college sports playoff image, with all the potential schools represented by their logo, and we show this.
magnetic, to the eye of both fan and hater.
on the udder hand, if some 'c' is on it, well, let's just say on behalf of any viewer, 'is that our 'c?' is that ______'s 'c'? whose 'c' is that?'

always choose the red tongue version.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I appreciate the Block C flag sentiment, although I think we should follow the US Flag Code, "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform."
I could be wrong, but I believe US Flag Code refers to how to use an actual US Flag. For example, the blue square should not be used as a halter-top. Otherwise, 95% of consumer patriotic décor would be in direct violation.

Flag code violations are not technically illegal, but it would not be a good look for the likes of Dixie or Coronet, either. Related, many instances of the Flag flying waving from the beds of pickup trucks are violating US Flag Code.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I always thought this was pretty good branding:
491CBD68-39CA-4658-BD7B-DA326DC521D9.jpeg

I think the format of this image dates it “ancient” by internet meme standards, but I always liked it a lot. The funniest part is that these are actually CCSU uniforms but “Central” is cropped off the top.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I believe that since its not actually a flag being used its acceptable. A flag decal doesn't fall under the flag code.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I believe that since its not actually a flag being used its acceptable. A flag decal doesn't fall under the flag code.
I'm sure you're correct. However, for me, "part of the flag" includes a combination of stars and stripes that represent the American Flag. I know I'm uptight about this ("Get off my lawn!")

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Block C and White Dog 4 Life!!

Reaction Score
'And still the block C is still the best brand mark the university has.'

no. this is the correct answer as to 'best brand mark.' it even has that little 'tm' to prove it.

View attachment 80294

no letters needed as anyone interested in college sports, anywhere, knows this instantly. it's cool to see some big college sports playoff image, with all the potential schools represented by their logo, and we show this.
magnetic, to the eye of both fan and hater.
on the udder hand, if some 'c' is on it, well, let's just say on behalf of any viewer, 'is that our 'c?' is that ______'s 'c'? whose 'c' is that?'

always choose the red tongue version.
I like this logo more than block C, too. We put it on everything else, so why not football?

I think I'm in the minority, however, in still preferring the early 2000s husky over this. For me, it was what we had when we were really starting to become successful, and it was there for the majority of our championships. It was also VERY similar to what we had in the 80s and 90s, so when we got rid of it we were scrapping nearly 40 years of history. The Jayhawk and Duke logos, in contrast, have barely changed at all since the 1940s and 1970s respectively.

aaadog.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I like this logo more than block C, too. We put it on everything else, so why not football?

I think I'm in the minority, however, in still preferring the early 2000s husky over this. For me, it was what we had when we were really starting to become successful, and it was there for the majority of our championships. It was also VERY similar to what we had in the 80s and 90s, so when we got rid of it we were scrapping nearly 40 years of history. The Jayhawk and Duke logos, in contrast, have barely changed at all since the 1940s and 1970s respectively.

View attachment 80295
too nice, no 'wow' factor.
this dog looks more likely to lick ur face, or pee on ur leg.
the current one is more likely to chew ur leg off. that's my dog!
coldly handsome, too.

Reaction Score
too nice, no 'wow' factor.
this dog looks more likely to lick ur face, or pee on ur leg.
the current one is more likely to chew ur leg off. that's my dog!
coldly handsome, too.
Haha you're not wrong. I like the new one just fine, and definitely prefer it to the too-big block C.

Reaction Score

View attachment 80297
let it go GIF

Reaction Score

View attachment 80297
C20B26A9-5F95-46FB-A7D7-65C37E7566C3.jpeg

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
i wouldn't be that hard on the husky logo. Only so much you can do with a husky.
True- so why bother trying to do anything? The letter is better...

Reaction Score
After seeing the flag-themed block C to be used for the UMass game, I am convinced beyond a doubt that the Block C must remain the core helmet decal to be used by this team. I am a relatively new fan, so i recently learned about this being principally a RE-era branding, but it doesn't matter. it's such a clean design.

I sense that UConn may be looking for a fresh start, or to align branding among teams, etc.. those things are fine, but I still think this decal must remain a core part of the brand. It's a great design, and it is in the university font as well, so very much aligned to the overall brand strategy.

Additionally, something bout the navy helmets with navy facemasks and the dog decal, just doesn't sit with me. It looks boring, cheap even. The Navy Helmets with white facemask and block C is a solid look. However, the best look of all IMO is the white/white/white uniform, with block C and navy facemask on the helmet. gorgeous combination that will never age - think packers/alabama.

Finally, if my suspicions regarding UConn branding are correct, I want to remind the athletic leadership that plenty of schools have football-only quirks in branding, or specific-sport branding, within their greater athletic brand. Notable examples:

• Princeton Football Helmet (wings - they do not use the "tiger print P" typically seen everywhere else)
  • Michican Football Helmet (actually princeton wings)
  • Delaware Football Helmet (same wings as princeton and michigan)
  • Tennessee Lady Vols basketball (sky blue accent to the standard Volunteer orange used by mens & other womens teams)
  • Many college baseball teams (Uconn included among those - "hook C")

There are surely others I can't think of at this moment, but you get the point. Block C may not have the history of these programs, but it's a simple, clean, and football-distinctive look that I believe deserves a place of prominence moving forward, as opposed to the path-to-extinction I'm seeing so far.
I’m also a fan of the white/white/white uniform combination because it looks great and is associated with the “turning point” game against Fresno State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom