Use Block C more please - (Sorry to bring up again) | The Boneyard

Use Block C more please - (Sorry to bring up again)

Reaction Score
After seeing the flag-themed block C to be used for the UMass game, I am convinced beyond a doubt that the Block C must remain the core helmet decal to be used by this team. I am a relatively new fan, so i recently learned about this being principally a RE-era branding, but it doesn't matter. it's such a clean design.

I sense that UConn may be looking for a fresh start, or to align branding among teams, etc.. those things are fine, but I still think this decal must remain a core part of the brand. It's a great design, and it is in the university font as well, so very much aligned to the overall brand strategy.

Additionally, something bout the navy helmets with navy facemasks and the dog decal, just doesn't sit with me. It looks boring, cheap even. The Navy Helmets with white facemask and block C is a solid look. However, the best look of all IMO is the white/white/white uniform, with block C and navy facemask on the helmet. gorgeous combination that will never age - think packers/alabama.

Finally, if my suspicions regarding UConn branding are correct, I want to remind the athletic leadership that plenty of schools have football-only quirks in branding, or specific-sport branding, within their greater athletic brand. Notable examples:

• Princeton Football Helmet (wings - they do not use the "tiger print P" typically seen everywhere else)
  • Michican Football Helmet (actually princeton wings)
  • Delaware Football Helmet (same wings as princeton and michigan)
  • Tennessee Lady Vols basketball (sky blue accent to the standard Volunteer orange used by mens & other womens teams)
  • Many college baseball teams (Uconn included among those - "hook C")

There are surely others I can't think of at this moment, but you get the point. Block C may not have the history of these programs, but it's a simple, clean, and football-distinctive look that I believe deserves a place of prominence moving forward, as opposed to the path-to-extinction I'm seeing so far.

Reaction Score
They’re using it appropriately. Hopefully new uni’s come next year and we have more options. I feel like Mora isn’t a traditionalist like RE was. I feel like it’s gonna be good for our style points. Mix and match. A 3rd option like those grey’s I loved years ago. Kids love cool uniforms. They actually commit to schools based on Nike/Adidas. I’d love to see several helmet options. Different logos and colors. But what matters most…winning! Just win!!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kombucha No But GIF

Reaction Score
After seeing the flag-themed block C to be used for the UMass game, I am convinced beyond a doubt that the Block C must remain the core helmet decal to be used by this team. I am a relatively new fan, so i recently learned about this being principally a RE-era branding, but it doesn't matter. it's such a clean design.

I sense that UConn may be looking for a fresh start, or to align branding among teams, etc.. those things are fine, but I still think this decal must remain a core part of the brand. It's a great design, and it is in the university font as well, so very much aligned to the overall brand strategy.

Additionally, something bout the navy helmets with navy facemasks and the dog decal, just doesn't sit with me. It looks boring, cheap even. The Navy Helmets with white facemask and block C is a solid look. However, the best look of all IMO is the white/white/white uniform, with block C and navy facemask on the helmet. gorgeous combination that will never age - think packers/alabama.

Finally, if my suspicions regarding UConn branding are correct, I want to remind the athletic leadership that plenty of schools have football-only quirks in branding, or specific-sport branding, within their greater athletic brand. Notable examples:

• Princeton Football Helmet (wings - they do not use the "tiger print P" typically seen everywhere else)
  • Michican Football Helmet (actually princeton wings)
  • Delaware Football Helmet (same wings as princeton and michigan)
  • Tennessee Lady Vols basketball (sky blue accent to the standard Volunteer orange used by mens & other womens teams)
  • Many college baseball teams (Uconn included among those - "hook C")

There are surely others I can't think of at this moment, but you get the point. Block C may not have the history of these programs, but it's a simple, clean, and football-distinctive look that I believe deserves a place of prominence moving forward, as opposed to the path-to-extinction I'm seeing so far.

The block C is pretty vanilla. I don’t have strong feelings either way, but we can do better.

Reaction Score
Seriously let's move on from the Block C. It's associated with Edsall. Time to look to the future not the past.

Edsall! Edsall! Edsall!

The block C is the best brand mark the university has. The reason we got rid of it was because we had an athletic sports wear company who gave us a new husky logo. And still the block C is still the best brand mark the university has.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I checked with Sesame Street and apparently the alphabet precedes FHCRE in history. It's time to let go of Randy, not the letter C.
You aren’t wrong. The black sea used for football actually came from the Aeropostale uniforms. We should probably refer to it as the “Aeropostale C” just to avoid confusion.

Reaction Score
Love the block C. It's B1G
Never liked all white. might as well wear pajamas
There is no worse helmet than NC State with the cartoon wolf
SDSU has a really cool helmet me thinks

1667437139424.png

Reaction Score
While a true statement, it is also true that to date we have come nowhere near doing better. Current design is sooooo Div.III. And that thing from a few years ago with the eyes in the middle of the helmet- ye gods...

i wouldn't be that hard on the husky logo. Only so much you can do with a husky.

Reaction Score
Agree that the Block C has a classic B1G look and should be THE standard for the football helmet. The current husky decal on the side of the helmet screams "C-USA".

My personal preference is the white helmet. An analogy would be the Buffalo Bills or the NY Jets. In all cases, the white helmet is superior.

Reaction Score
They should do a throw back white dog logo on the helmet. That would turn heads and it’s never been done before in football.

It was a big hit in hoops when they rolled out the ‘Connecticut’ unis with the white dog on the shorts.

Reaction Score
They should do a throw back white dog logo on the helmet. That would turn heads and it’s never been done before in football.

It was a big hit in hoops when they rolled out the ‘Connecticut’ unis with the white dog on the shorts.
these types of threads are going to hopefully be a thing if we start winning more, and consistently. with a winning culture, perhaps nike will pay more attention and start providing the design manpower to make some oregonian dreams come true for us. till then, I'm all about block C on the white+white+white.

Reaction Score
Agree that the Block C has a classic B1G look and should be THE standard for the football helmet. The current husky decal on the side of the helmet screams "C-USA".

My personal preference is the white helmet. An analogy would be the Buffalo Bills or the NY Jets. In all cases, the white helmet is superior.
it's the blue facemask that kills it for me. just looks really dull/cheap, idk why I feel that way but i do lol

Reaction Score
Love the block C. It's B1G
Never liked all white. might as well wear pajamas
There is no worse helmet than NC State with the cartoon wolf
SDSU has a really cool helmet me thinks

View attachment 80282
i saw these the other night when they were playing Fresno St. I checked out the game out of curiosity for a past opponent (Fresno state won in exciting fashion, so good for us). Anyway, these lids were dope. I'd imagine a future UConn helmet design that's some sort of take on the state flag - on the back bottom where this week it says "brotherhood", i'd put the motto - "qui transtulit sustinet"

Reaction Score
Just my 2 cents... I've always have been a fan of the block C, it's clean and simple. I have never been a fan of white helmets, very few can pull it off. Flag Blue helmet with a block C and white facemask is the way to go. I can understand wanting to distance ourselves from a low point of the program but at the same time we had the block C during a good run and for the Fiesta Bowl. I look at some other programs that had low points but basically have kept the same uni's and/helmets. Big fan of the military appreciate flag block C, even got the direction of the blue field correct, on both sides. Yes this is a football thread, but I think a hockey sweater with a block C as a "third" would be great.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I used to be a block C fan, but Edsall 2.0 fixed that. Now I am neutral.

I hope they do research to figure out what makes the most sense from a marketing and recruiting standpoint.

Reaction Score

The obvious counter-argument to this is that the B1G helmets you're referring to are associated with schools that have a long history and very strong national football brand. Whatever you think about the block C, it just doesn't have that kind of history associated with it. Uniforms are being used as recruiting tools at this point and marching a team out there with the same block C helmet, that it's very unlikely recruits are attached to at all, isn't going to do much in that area.

It's nice as an option to change things up, but would be a mistake to make this a permanent thing.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I appreciate the Block C flag sentiment, although I think we should follow the US Flag Code, "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom