Uconn women's game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn women's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watch all the mens games and most of the womens games. The women overall play better defense than the men. Did you watch the men this year ? - talk about running around like chickens with their heads cut off !! Tonights game was not one their best. Played all season mostly with just 7 players.

Women play better defense? Pretty easy to play defense against players who can go only one way isn't it? Question, a great player like Skylar Diggins is in the womens game, ever see her use her right? No and you won't......easy to prepare for which is why Geno is so good. They play defense against weaknesses and there's plenty. Let's not compare these 2 they are apples and oranges or worst.....the other thing is they score 70 and shoot 50% because other teams don't have Geno and noone can guard anyone.....having said that, the Husky girls are really really good in their womens game!!

Having watched most of it before "The Killing" came back, I thought it was a joke what the refs allowed ND to do. They were out of control physical, Mallory and Novisel are ridiculous holders and body checkers and near the end Diggins was whacking at everything and getting nothing called. The refs had 3 charge calls which were all wrong both ways.....truth be told womens referees need to improve for the game to improve. They are horrid and really have no basketball sense.......

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Women play better defense? Pretty easy to play defense against players who can go only one way isn't it? Question, a great player like Skylar Diggins is in the womens game, ever see her use her right? No and you won't......easy to prepare for which is why Geno is so good. They play defense against weaknesses and there's plenty. Let's not compare these 2 they are apples and oranges or worst.....the other thing is they score 70 and shoot 50% because other teams don't have Geno and noone can guard anyone.....having said that, the Husky girls are really really good in their womens game!!

Having watched most of it before "The Killing" came back, I thought it was a joke what the refs allowed ND to do. They were out of control physical, Mallory and Novisel are ridiculous holders and body checkers and near the end Diggins was whacking at everything and getting nothing called. The refs had 3 charge calls which were all wrong both ways.....truth be told womens referees need to improve for the game to improve. They are horrid and really have no basketball sense.......

Agree about the physical play by ND. Many fouls should have been called, although some by the women Huskies weren't called as well. The refs were poor.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought it was a great game and enjoyed watching every minute (until late in OT anyways)

Reaction Score
You do realize there is a woman's board?

If you want to talk about talk about below average high school basketball please go there.

Reaction Score
I'm really trying hard to be a good fan and cheer for the girls right now, but god womens bball is ugly to watch...I've never seen more shots air balled, or hitting the SIDE of the backboard

O well...GO HUSKIES!!
Wow, didn't you watch the men this year?

Reaction Score
You do realize there is a woman's board?

If you want to talk about talk about below average high school basketball please go there.

Or you could stay here and discuss our halfcourt offense this past season.

U

UCONNfan1

Golf, bowling and nascar are pretty much unwatchable to me. even baseball is boring to sit thru a 4 hour game with 10 pitching changes on each side. it's hard not to appreciate the effort and intensity of the play from the women's team, and while much less exciting than a men's game (especially from an athetic and skill perspective), those girls go 100% every second they are on the court.

if our men's hoops team played with that much intensity and passion every second and every posession, we'd have a better team.

Reaction Score
Golf, bowling and nascar are pretty much unwatchable to me. even baseball is boring to sit thru a 4 hour game with 10 pitching changes on each side. it's hard not to appreciate the effort and intensity of the play from the women's team, and while much less exciting than a men's game (especially from an athetic and skill perspective), those girls go 100% every second they are on the court.

if our men's hoops team played with that much intensity and passion every second and every posession, we'd have a better team.

I think it just looks like the girls are playing harder bc they are much less skilled. In any given women's game (not involving UConn/Tenn/Baylor/Stanford/ND), there are usually only 2 or 3 good players on the court at any one time. As for shooting percentages, the smaller ball helps.. as does the fact that the level of athleticism of the people guarding you is WAY less. In a normal UConn women's game, nobody from the other team would even crack Geno's rotation... probably to 10 deep

U

UCONNfan1

I think it just looks like the girls are playing harder bc they are much less skilled. In any given women's game (not involving UConn/Tenn/Baylor/Stanford/ND), there are usually only 2 or 3 good players on the court at any one time. As for shooting percentages, the smaller ball helps.. as does the fact that the level of athleticism of the people guarding you is WAY less. In a normal UConn women's game, nobody from the other team would even crack Geno's rotation... probably to 10 deep
well you are right of course. there's a huge drop off in talent from men to women. they can't dunk unless they are 6'8" and can reach the rim. even 5'11" Boatright can dunk.

and as a side note, the reason that most teams outside the top 10 wouldn't have any of their players start for UCONN is because Geno currently has kids who start who were rated 6,9,10,11 and 20 in their respective classes, and he got the #1,2 and 5 players from 2012. currently on the bench he has a pair of freshmen who were rated about 8 and 15 in their class. can you imagine what JC could do with that much talent? oh, and the girls stay for 4 years.

over the next few years, the best teams will be UCONN, Baylor, Duke, Stanford, Maryland, Louisville, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and possibly Rutgers.

Reaction Score

Stupid response but typical..........can't win mens NC's without playing hard and 3 of those NC's in their world is quite an accomplishment as well as another FF and numerous 8's and 16's......in a parity driven game unlike the womens......but as you stated in your next reply they stay 4 years too, this is huge and while UConn was a little young this year vs ND the climate will change again and maybe dramatically as UConn will more than likley own them with experience and a great recrtuiing class, probably for 3-4 years too!

Reaction Score
well you are right of course. there's a huge drop off in talent from men to women. they can't dunk unless they are 6'8" and can reach the rim. even 5'11" Boatright can dunk.

and as a side note, the reason that most teams outside the top 10 wouldn't have any of their players start for UCONN is because Geno currently has kids who start who were rated 6,9,10,11 and 20 in their respective classes, and he got the #1,2 and 5 players from 2012. currently on the bench he has a pair of freshmen who were rated about 8 and 15 in their class. can you imagine what JC could do with that much talent? oh, and the girls stay for 4 years.

over the next few years, the best teams will be UCONN, Baylor, Duke, Stanford, Maryland, Louisville, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and possibly Rutgers.

Talent is SOOOO top-heavy in women's basketball. UConn is gonna get 2 of the 5 best players pretty much every year. Britney Griner is a once-in-25-years type player and she's the main reason for Baylor's recent run of success. They should come back to earth when she leaves. Stanford is UConn-Lite. Duke is usually good (but they'll continue to fall short in the big game and I'll continue to love it.. men or women). I expect Tennessee's decline to continue as Pat Summit's career winds down. I fully expect Geno to win a minimum of 12 National Titles by the time he's done.

U

UCONNfan1

Stupid response but typical..........can't win mens NC's without playing hard and 3 of those NC's in their world is quite an accomplishment as well as another FF and numerous 8's and 16's......in a parity driven game unlike the womens......but as you stated in your next reply they stay 4 years too, this is huge and while UConn was a little young this year vs ND the climate will change again and maybe dramatically as UConn will more than likley own them with experience and a great recrtuiing class, probably for 3-4 years too!
seriously stupid response, but typical for some of the morons out there. how about you open your eyes? how much standing around do you see on the men's team? either way, how moronic to be incapable of having a discussion or disagreement with out getting your panties in a bunch. i've never seen so many people be incapable of disagreeing without being asshats.

by the way what part of the effort comment did you actually disagree with? you think our team this past year gave 100% effort and intensity every second they were on the court? if you think that then you really are an idiot.

Reaction Score
seriously stupid response, but typical for some of the morons out there. how about you open your eyes? how much standing around do you see on the men's team? either way, how moronic to be incapable of having a discussion or disagreement with out getting your panties in a bunch. i've never seen so many people be incapable of disagreeing without being asshats.

by the way what part of the effort comment did you actually disagree with? you think our team this past year gave 100% effort and intensity every second they were on the court? if you think that then you really are an idiot.

I hate the "effort meters".. how do you measure how much effort anybody is giving out..no one can play 100% every second of every game.. otherwise you would be asking for a breather every 2-3 minutes. You pace yourself and rest strategically so you can try to play at the highest possible level while you're out there. And no, the women don't all play 100% all the time as you claim. Some of them may look like it, but it's just bc they aren't very good.

Reaction Score

You know what I gave you credit for the response about the girls teams, UC, ND etc etc , the 4 years....but I take it all back. I had "my panties in a bunch" because you actually believe you have it figured out who's playing hard and who isn't in the mens game...you don't, I don't.....but to compare their effort with the mens is ridiculous. Go to that board please if you think the guys are standing around not playing hard. Because Jeremy doesn't move like Rip means he's not playing hard right? They didn't play hard in 2011 either when going 9-9 in the Big East either I supose? These guys play every play against ridiculous athletes every night the don't get games off against teams they can beat by 50, but you have it figured out right Einstein?.....maybe I am an idiot or an asshat I don't know and I don't care and coming from you, wow!!

U

UCONNfan1

You know what I gave you credit for the response about the girls teams, UC, ND etc etc , the 4 years....but I take it all back. I had "my panties in a bunch" because you actually believe you have it figured out who's playing hard and who isn't in the mens game...you don't, I don't.....but to compare their effort with the mens is ridiculous. Go to that board please if you think the guys are standing around not playing hard. Because Jeremy doesn't move like Rip means he's not playing hard right? They didn't play hard in 2011 either when going 9-9 in the Big East either I supose? These guys play every play against ridiculous athletes every night the don't get games off against teams they can beat by 50, but you have it figured out right Einstein?.....maybe I am an idiot or an asshat I don't know and I don't care and coming from you, wow!!
you don't have anyone fooled. i've been a lurker for years and rarely venture out mainly because of posters like you. i've rarely seen a poster as nasty, confrontational, or attack-happy as you. you take delight in trashing other people. it's one thing to disagree with a post, even strongly. it's another thing to be a complete dick, and you have that in spades. congrats.

by the way, moron, how many fans lamented the effort of the team this year? how many games did it look like the guys just gave up on the court? how often does JC get in players faces for lack of effort? i'd say fairly often. it's ignorant posters like you who give fan boards a bad name.

Reaction Score
I feel like a lot of you guys are quite uneducated about the women's game.

From an athleticism standpoint, obviously the men are more athletic.

But basketball skills wise? Sorry, the men haven't had a point guard with the skills of Sue Bird, or a shooting guard with the skills of Diana Taurasi. Skills wise, the elite women are actually elite players, period.Yes, some of you will laugh at that. But you're just plain uneducated about it. Skill wise, you could make a relatively easy argument that Bria Hartley, is the most talented player of the two teams.

There isn't a men's basketball player on the planet that has the offensive game of Diana Taurasi. Not one. She can shoot like Kobe once could (making the crazy shots he can make), she can pass like Magic, she shoots more free throws than anyone in the WNBA on a pretty consistent basis. You could go on and on about her offensive game. Then talk about the intangibles of leadership.

The problem is the drop off. But that's understandable for such a young sport.

I don't think "women" play harder than anyone else. I think Geno's teams play harder than anyone else. I think they are going to in the Olympics. And I think they would if they were men. That's just something Geno knows how to get out of his teams, unlike any coach I've seen.

Certain coaches can do that. I think Calhoun always could, but it's harder to do that when you've got health problems. I'd say last year's team played hard in almost every game. I'd say the FF team did as well, and the year before that.

I love watching both teams. Although sometimes the men's ugly play can be hard to watch. And sometimes the lack of competition in the women's game can be hard to watch. But I appreciate both. I don't understand the fray between the men's and women's fans. Although I'll never understand the bashing of the women's game - unless all people enjoy is dunks.

U

UCONNfan1

very well said blackbird. by the way, former UCONN players comprise 41.7% of the Olympic team. there are 5 former UCONN players representing the USA in the 2012 London Olympics (Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Cash, Charles). that's just a ridiculous amount of talent to have come thru one school. but those players are either the best or 2nd best at their position in the entire country so it's no surprise they are all Olympians...

but i do have to say i get why some think the women's game is unwatchable. the men's game is more athletic, has more physically gifted players, and god forbid you had the men play the women - it would be about 120 to 10. i don't mind if people don't enjoy watching the women play. they are nowhere near as skilled as the men. it's not like Nascar where Patrick can drive just as fast as the men, or golf where Tseng or Choi can putt just as well as Woods or Mickelson, or even tennis where Serena can be just as entertaining as Roger or Rafa.

Women simply can't DO as much as the men. they aren't as strong, tall, athletic, etc etc. Women's hoops is obviously a much slower, below the rim game. Not for everyone.

Reaction Score
you don't have anyone fooled. i've been a lurker for years and rarely venture out mainly because of posters like you. i've rarely seen a poster as nasty, confrontational, or attack-happy as you. you take delight in trashing other people. it's one thing to disagree with a post, even strongly. it's another thing to be a complete dick, and you have that in spades. congrats.

by the way, moron, how many fans lamented the effort of the team this year? how many games did it look like the guys just gave up on the court? how often does JC get in players faces for lack of effort? i'd say fairly often. it's ignorant posters like you who give fan boards a bad name.

moron huh? Wow please go back to lurking , you bring nothing to the table..........wow not a fan of mine? I hurt like you can't imagine........;) GFY...........i trash idiots only, uneducated fans who think they know how hard kids play and there aren't too many here, but join the other 2 UCONNfan1......... lol you piece of crap!

Reaction Score
I feel like a lot of you guys are quite uneducated about the women's game.

From an athleticism standpoint, obviously the men are more athletic.

But basketball skills wise? Sorry, the men haven't had a point guard with the skills of Sue Bird, or a shooting guard with the skills of Diana Taurasi. Skills wise, the elite women are actually elite players, period.Yes, some of you will laugh at that. But you're just plain uneducated about it. Skill wise, you could make a relatively easy argument that Bria Hartley, is the most talented player of the two teams.

There isn't a men's basketball player on the planet that has the offensive game of Diana Taurasi. Not one. She can shoot like Kobe once could (making the crazy shots he can make), she can pass like Magic, she shoots more free throws than anyone in the WNBA on a pretty consistent basis. You could go on and on about her offensive game. Then talk about the intangibles of leadership.

The problem is the drop off. But that's understandable for such a young sport.

I don't think "women" play harder than anyone else. I think Geno's teams play harder than anyone else. I think they are going to in the Olympics. And I think they would if they were men. That's just something Geno knows how to get out of his teams, unlike any coach I've seen.

Certain coaches can do that. I think Calhoun always could, but it's harder to do that when you've got health problems. I'd say last year's team played hard in almost every game. I'd say the FF team did as well, and the year before that.

I love watching both teams. Although sometimes the men's ugly play can be hard to watch. And sometimes the lack of competition in the women's game can be hard to watch. But I appreciate both. I don't understand the fray between the men's and women's fans. Although I'll never understand the bashing of the women's game - unless all people enjoy is dunks.

I knew the women's team had some ridiculous fans but this just left me speechless. You might be able to fool the blind flock of followers on the women's board where some are so stupid that they actually think that the women's team could beat the men's team but do not bring that propaganda over here.

Reaction Score
There isn't a men's basketball player on the planet that has the offensive game of Diana Taurasi. Not one.

I am a huge fan of Diana Taurasi. I think she is phenomenal and I never watched as much Uconn women's basketball as I did when she was there.

But I just looked up her statistics to see if your statement above had any merit. She is a career 44% shooter from the field, 37% from 3-point land. She averages 4 rebounds and 4 assists per game for her career.

Those are more than respectable numbers and she'll go down as one of the best to ever play the women's game. But how on earth am I supposed to take your statement seriously?

Steve Nash, for example, is also a guard. He is a career 49% shooter from the field, 43% from 3 point range (and his 3 point shot is taken from a deeper distance). He shoots 90% from the free throw line and averages 9 assists per game for his career. Tell me how on earth Steve Nash is not a better offensive player (at the very least a better shooter and passer) than Diana Taurasi?

D

Denham Brown

If I had won the Mega Millions lotto I would have given a decent amount of $$$ to UConn in the hopes of doing away with the women's program. I honestly think that their program takes away from what the men's program has accomplished over the past 15 years. I was happy when they lost because I did not want the 2011 Men's Champions sign at exit 68 taken down. Flame away, I don't really care. I am just being honest.

Reaction Score
If I had won the Mega Millions lotto I would have given a decent amount of $$$ to UConn in the hopes of doing away with the women's program. I honestly think that their program takes away from what the men's program has accomplished over the past 15 years. I was happy when they lost because I did not want the 2011 Men's Champions sign at exit 68 taken down. Flame away, I don't really care. I am just being honest.

Wow. Just wow. Petty and insecure much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak