Uconn women's game | The Boneyard

Uconn women's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm really trying hard to be a good fan and cheer for the girls right now, but god womens bball is ugly to watch...I've never seen more shots air balled, or hitting the SIDE of the backboard

O well...GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
What an awful possession

For what it's worth, regarding airballs/hitting the side of the backboard, the men didn't average 70 pts a game, and the girls are shooting 47% this game.

Reaction Score
I don't watch much women's basketball but is the play normally this dreadful? Most of the game the girls just run around like chickens with their heads cut off, it's just a turnover waiting to happen. Skylar Diggins is a good player and nice to look at. I really thought Bria Hartley and Hayes had horrible games, neither of them have any awareness whatsoever in their games. Bummer they lost but at least I don't have to watch another one of these games.

Reaction Score
Once it went to OT I figured they were done, didn't agree with the decision to pressure on that last possession after Farris(sp) hit the two free throws, created too much chaos on the boards after Diggins missed, too many UConn players out of position.

Reaction Score
I don't watch much women's basketball but is the play normally this dreadful? Most of the game the girls just run around like chickens with their heads cut off, it's just a turnover waiting to happen. Skylar Diggins is a good player and nice to look at. I really thought Bria Hartley and Hayes had horrible games, neither of them have any awareness whatsoever in their games. Bummer they lost but at least I don't have to watch another one of these games.

Yea I tuned in with about 3-4 minutes left in reg and it seemed like the entire portion of the game was scrambling, Hartley trying to take on damn near the whole ND team and turning it over with about 20 secs left was one of the dumbest sequences I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Once it went to OT I figured they were done, didn't agree with the decision to pressure on that last possession after Farris(sp) hit the two free throws, created too much chaos on the boards after Diggins missed, too many UConn players out of position.
It's easy to agree in retrospect, but I thought the same thing. They needed it then, because Notre Dame was throwing up on their own feet for a while--they were too experienced to keep doing that.

I don't know much about the women's team except that they always are really good. They probably won't win next year either (although I don't put it past Geno), but from what I understand they have the #1 and #2 ranked players coming in. It will not be long until they're repeating again (and they're but 2 years removed from back-to-back).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Women's basketball is still relatively young - as such, the level of play is just not terribly consistent yet.

It can be pretty good or it can be just awful.

Ah, well....Game of Thrones is on soon.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Hayes is the least clutch player as long as I have watched UConn women's basketball.

Team will be good next year and in the Final Four once again.

Posting here because I don't post over there

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What an awful possession

For what it's worth, regarding airballs/hitting the side of the backboard, the men didn't average 70 pts a game, and the girls are shooting 47% this game.

It always cracks me up when people say how horrible the women are but neglect to notice they average over 70 a game and are shooting nearly 50% in the game they are complaining about. We would if the men could do that. Im not a huge fan of the women but they play some pretty damned good basketball.

Reaction Score
Hayes is the least clutch player as long as I have watched UConn women's basketball.

Team will be good next year and in the Final Four once again.

Posting here because I don't post over there

shes a solid role player not a star, we have had players who had trouble in that role once our star players left on the mens side

She wasnt aggressive enough near the end

Reaction Score
Who's idea was it to schedule a final four in Denver? To me that looked like it had a big impact for both teams and the quality of play.

Reaction Score
Geno lost his mind at the end. When Hartley turned the ball over with 20 seconds left, she ran by our bench and Geno was waving her on, telling her to push the ball against a defense that was set (and Diggins tracking her from behind which is a recipe for that sort of pokeaway). Huge coaching blunder - tie game, shot clock off means hold for one and the worst thing that happens is you go to OT. Call a TO if you have to or just tell her to pull it out if you don't want ND to set their defense. It became somewhat of a footnote when we stole the ball back, but really an unforgivable mistake on his part. I'd blame Hartley too for not having time and score awareness, but it's tough to keep your wits about you when your coach is losing his.

Reaction Score
It always cracks me up when people say how horrible the women are but neglect to notice they average over 70 a game and are shooting nearly 50% in the game they are complaining about. We would if the men could do that. Im not a huge fan of the women but they play some pretty damned good basketball.

I don't understand why people point to stats like shooting percentage to explain why the women are more of a "team" than the men. It's literally apples to oranges. The ball movement is nice to watch, but it's a lot harder when you're going up against opposing defenses with height, length, and speed.

Also, I'd say a big reason the women's team often looks more cohesive is because they all stay in school for four years.

Reaction Score
I watch all the mens games and most of the womens games. The women overall play better defense than the men. Did you watch the men this year ? - talk about running around like chickens with their heads cut off !! Tonights game was not one their best. Played all season mostly with just 7 players.

Reaction Score
The one bummer was that Faris almost had an epic final 1:30 that would be the stuff of legends - steal in backcourt, offensive rebound, put back, tying foul shots, steal at midcourt (to save Geno/Hartley from their previous screw-up), go-ahead foul shots. If only the last defensive rebound fell in her hands.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people point to stats like shooting percentage to explain why the women are more of a "team" than the men. It's literally apples to oranges. The ball movement is nice to watch, but it's a lot harder when you're going up against opposing defenses with height, length, and speed.

Also, I'd say a big reason the women's team often looks more cohesive is because they all stay in school for four years.

I point to it because the original poster said they were shooting air balls and clanking shots off the side of the backboard.

Reaction Score

If Maya Moore and Taurasi were guys how many years would they be at uconn? I say 2 years max

Reaction Score
Give the girls some credit, they played hard tonight and left it on the floor. It was a tough loss but UCONN will be back stronger than ever. I have no idea why some of you keep comparing women's game to men's game. If our men's team can give effort like our women's team every game, we would have won a lot more games this year.

Reaction Score
Give the girls some credit, they played hard tonight and left it on the floor. It was a tough loss but UCONN will be back stronger than ever. I have no idea why some of you keep comparing women's game to men's game. If our men's team can give effort like our women's team every game, we would have won a lot more games this year.

I wish our mens team had a heart breaking loss in the Final Four this year, i wouldnt wish it but I would take it. Uconn will be back for sure, they return everyone except hayes and get sick recruiting class.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The one bummer was that Faris almost had an epic final 1:30 that would be the stuff of legends - steal in backcourt, offensive rebound, put back, tying foul shots, steal at midcourt (to save Geno/Hartley from their previous screw-up), go-ahead foul shots. If only the last defensive rebound fell in her hands.

I love that kid. Like you said, ny, that was so close to becoming an epic moment in UConn chick hoop history. They just about beat Baylor at Baylor earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
I realize the ladies team didnt have a lot of depth, but letting you're dominant center get a 3rd and 4th foul 2 minutes into the second half is inexcusable. That's where the game was lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom