UConn v UMass 2023 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn v UMass 2023

Reaction Score
This is why playing in Gillette makes zero sense to me. I can't see how it won't lose a lot of money, I can't see why anyone would want to drive 90 minutes to 2.5 hours to watch a game in an empty NFL stadium, no matter how nice it is, and frankly I'd just rather drive to Amherst if that's the option and be home earlier.
Guessing that Gillette is being donated. It was earlier in UMass’s foray into BCS football. Wouldnt be my choice but it is a UMass home game. They want to play in the I91 median in Springfield thats their call.

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl for a neutral site game would be much more fun than any of the alternatives.

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl for a neutral site game would be much more fun than any of the alternatives.
What makes anyone think Yale would be remotely interested in allowing any other college team not named Yale play in their stadium? Other than those playing against Yale obviously.

Reaction Score
What makes anyone think Yale would be remotely interested in allowing any other college team not named Yale play in their stadium? Other than those playing against Yale obviously.
I agree not going to happen, even thou it would be convenient for me. But at least if the game was played there it would dust off some of the seats that go untouched each year. Yale averaged less than 7 thousand fans a game last year in five home games. You could play their games at the Surf club in Madison

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Gillette is the place to play. It has excellent tailgating space, seats, food, beer, etc. Fenway is nostalgic but it is not great for watching football (or baseball for that matter).

Reaction Score
But, but, Yale only has a 42.3 billion endowment. Could they not use the chump change? Skull and Bones just ain't what it used to be. ;)

Happy Birthday Party Hard GIF by mattbag3d

Reaction Score
I would think that we would bring 30k to Gillette and UMass about 15k. Not bad but still 23,000 empty seats. UConn alone would sell out Fenway Park.

Reaction Score
I would think that we would bring 30k to Gillette and UMass about 15k. Not bad but still 23,000 empty seats. UConn alone would sell out Fenway Park.
I hope you are right but I think you are bring very optimistic. Part of it is how the season is going but I would sign up for 45 k right now. I think you are more likely to end up at 30 k.

Reaction Score
UConn averaged just over 22,000 per home game last year but you will bring 30,000 to Gillette? You had a recent home game at Fenway and overall attendance was 20,133 but UConn will sellout Fenway?

Reaction Score
Yeah. The UMass game isn’t very exciting to the fan base. It should be played in Amherst where the stands can be filled. The atmosphere would be much better there. Maybe down the road both programs can be better and make it a more appealing game to fans on both sides. There is no point at all to playing in Foxboro at this point.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yeah. The UMass game isn’t very exciting to the fan base. It should be played in Amherst where the stands can be filled. The atmosphere would be much better there. Maybe down the road both programs can be better and make it a more appealing game to fans on both sides. There is no point at all to playing in Foxboro at this point.
They don't fill the stands for anyone, not us, no one. I have been there a few times and neither was a sell out.

Reaction Score
They don't fill the stands for anyone, not us, no one. I have been there a few times and neither was a sell out.
I think a slightly better UMass, and a much better UConn would do well in Amherst. Last time we were there, the game had absolutely nothing going for it.

Reaction Score
As bad as Fenway is for a football game, the Daytona Speedway seems even worse for football. I just saw on the ESPN crawler that the speedway is offering the use of their facility when Jacksonville renovates the TIAA Bank Field around 2025.

Reaction Score
I doubt Gillette would get many more fans for UConn/UMass than Amherst would, even with the Miami/BC game before it.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
FWIW I don’t think he’s saying both BC/Miami and UConn/UMass are at Gillette- if that was the case you almost certainly would play one on Friday and one on Saturday or something as teams typically need 90+ minutes pregame for stretching, walkthrough, warmup, etc

Think he’s saying Miami is @ BC in Chestnut Hill at noon and that UConn/UMass will be in the greater Boston area as well at 4:00pm. If they were somehow going to pull off a same day double header you’d almost certainly have the BC/Miami game after the UConn/UMass game and one would need to be at like 11am with the other at like 8pm

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

this seemingly affirms my previous post that the BC/Miami game is in Chestnut Hill

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And Doug Flutie's not walking through that door.

Reaction Score
There will be more people at the Chestnut Hill Mall than at the BC game, and probably the UConn-UMass game as well.

Reaction Score
FWIW I don’t think he’s saying both BC/Miami and UConn/UMass are at Gillette- if that was the case you almost certainly would play one on Friday and one on Saturday or something as teams typically need 90+ minutes pregame for stretching, walkthrough, warmup, etc

Think he’s saying Miami is @ BC in Chestnut Hill at noon and that UConn/UMass will be in the greater Boston area as well at 4:00pm. If they were somehow going to pull off a same day double header you’d almost certainly have the BC/Miami game after the UConn/UMass game and one would need to be at like 11am with the other at like 8pm

That's disappointing UConn-Umass at Gillette will feel very empty, even with a decent sized crowd there. I initially did read it as both games were going to be played at Gillette.

I understand your point about warmups, but why couldn't the 2nd game teams make use of the Patriot's practice facility that is right next door? This would require the Patriots playing on Thanksgiving or on the road that weekend, but that should not be very difficult to arrange/plan ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom