UConn Transfer Portal | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think Victor was 3rd string to motivate him. As for Brewton, he wasn't going to get many touches on offense. He averaged less than 2 carries and 1 reception per game for his career. Honestly, I like the way Edwards runs over Houston. He cuts inside instead of bouncing outside and it looks like he is harder to bring down. Maybe there was another way to utilize Houston, but I think his touches were going to go down and would he accept it? I don't think he is a better slot receiver than Ross, so I'm not sure where you would play him. Would he accept 5 to 7 touches per game or should he get some NIL on another team where he is going to get 5 to 7 touches per game?

I'm not sold on the WR talent being that poor. Do they have great speed and ability to create separation? Doesn't seem so. I think they ran more schemes to create separation this week and the receivers looked better. Joly is a hybrid TE and I liked the way they utilized him this week. With the WRs we have, you have to scheme to get them open and I think Charlton did a poor job of that until this week.

This.

Mora straight up said he prefers RB by committee and it seems apparent Edwards has some skills and was working his way up the depth chart.

Brewton was definitely the first to lose snaps and I don't think Houston liked his 12-14 touches a game role.

I'm fine with Rosa and Edwards going forward for this season.

Reaction Score
This.

Mora straight up said he prefers RB by committee and it seems apparent Edwards has some skills and was working his way up the depth chart.

Brewton was definitely the first to lose snaps and I don't think Houston liked his 12-14 touches a game role.

I was hoping to see some Jalen Mitchell in short yardage situations but it appears that he may have some fumble issues. And Stafford is much bigger and has assumed that role. Victor had a good game and was the leading rusher with 15 carries for 92 yards but was not mentioned by Mora in the press conference. Perhaps more motivation for Victor.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I was hoping to see some Jalen Mitchell in short yardage situations but it appears that he may have some fumble issues. And Stafford is much bigger and has assumed that role. Victor had a good game and was the leading rusher with 15 carries for 92 yards but was not mentioned by Mora in the press conference. Perhaps more motivation for Victor.
I think Mitchell's issue is two fumbles in limited carries this year.

Reaction Score
I think Victor was 3rd string to motivate him. As for Brewton, he wasn't going to get many touches on offense. He averaged less than 2 carries and 1 reception per game for his career. Honestly, I like the way Edwards runs over Houston. He cuts inside instead of bouncing outside and it looks like he is harder to bring down. Maybe there was another way to utilize Houston, but I think his touches were going to go down and would he accept it? I don't think he is a better slot receiver than Ross, so I'm not sure where you would play him. Would he accept 5 to 7 touches per game or should he get some NIL on another team where he is going to get 5 to 7 touches per game?

I'm not sold on the WR talent being that poor. Do they have great speed and ability to create separation? Doesn't seem so. I think they ran more schemes to create separation this week and the receivers looked better. Joly is a hybrid TE and I liked the way they utilized him this week. With the WRs we have, you have to scheme to get them open and I think Charlton did a poor job of that until this week.
My main point was both Victor and Houston should be on the field at the same time.

Reaction Score
This.

The running backs a year ago were so much better than our receivers, Making them mutually exclusive and not getting 2-3 of them on the field at the same time, was a big fail by Charlton, who Mora hired.

Reaction Score
I just fear UConn is following the spirit of NIL as well as the toothless rules while everyone else is the wild west.

Not the case for basketball. We are just as aggressive as all the other teams with championship aspirations.

Reaction Score
The running backs a year ago were so much better than our receivers, Making them mutually exclusive and not getting 2-3 of them on the field at the same time, was a big fail by Charlton, who Mora hired.
Chief, this is way off the mark. UConn had 5 scholarship RBs to start the season and 3 out of the 5 were injured at one point during the season. Brewton played 5 games, 4 games plus the bowl. Carter played first 3.5 games. Houston missed 3 games in October. Rosa was a true freshman so at the beginning of the season, they didn't know how he would perform. And, besides the RB injuries, UConn lost their QB starter and 2 best receivers at the start of the season so UConn had to start a true freshman QB who did not participate in Spring practice. Yet, you think Charlton had available talent at RB to have 2 or 3 on the field at a time (even though for most games, we only had 2 or 3 healthy RBs) and he had the ability to adjust the offense on the fly while trying to keep it simple for a very inexperienced QB? Why do you think they moved Edwards to RB during the season and toyed with the idea of moving Stafford to RB as well? They lacked RB bodies. That said, they did run some plays with 2 RBs on the field last year with Burns.

Look, you can blame Charlton for the bad QB sneak with Roberson instead of using Stafford, or some of the other play calls, but you can't criticize Charlton for not running a 2 back offense when there usually was only 2 or 3 backs available.

Reaction Score
Not the case for basketball. We are just as aggressive as all the other teams with championship aspirations.
Difference is basketball is one player. And, that is a poor example anyway because we just lost a player we wanted to Kansas because of NIL in Nick Timberland.

Spencer came here for PT on a national title contender becuase he has nba aspirations. Not for NIL.

For football, you need to get 10+ transfers. They want NIL. Not all these guys will go to NFL. If they can get $30k and school paid for, he’ll yeah they gonna do it.

Reaction Score
They should have been. Now Rosa and Edwards should be.

Why? Why do we need two of the same style running back on the field at once? Are we running the wishbone?

Why would we go to such extreme lengths to appease players who may not need to be appeased.

Reaction Score
Why? Why do we need two of the same style running back on the field at once? Are we running the wishbone?

Why would we go to such extreme lengths to appease players who may not need to be appeased.
Put Rosa in the slot as a WR. Have him run end arounds and be the guy who gets WR screens.

Reaction Score
That’s dumb John. Even dumber than listing 8 Tight Ends on depth chart. Rosa isn’t beating any cornerbacks.

It sounds like Rosa is nursing some injuries too.
what are you talking about? He can catch wud receiver screen passes. Can go cover the middle, they can also run him in the slot on crossing patterns against linebackers and safeties. He is certainly athletic enough.

And don’t get me started in 6 TEs. I have never seen anything like it .

Reaction Score
Put Rosa in the slot as a WR. Have him run end arounds and be the guy who gets WR screens.
Yeah, I'm sure he could don't well. But he did drop a screen that could have gone for a big gain.

Reaction Score
Who is our best run blocking TE? That could catch a pass running down the seam off playaction. Put eleven players on the field and run a few plays with no substitutions. Roberson, Rosa/Edwards, Ross, Buckman, o-line, Joly, and ?TE.

Reaction Score
No way. Both too small.
So you are doubling down on the OC schemes. College football 2023, you need multiple play makers on the field. You are too focus on official positions when in my view we need to get what talent we do have on the field. And now we have lost some of the precious talent we do have as a result of our Sri on labeling multi faceted players.

Reaction Score
Chief, this is way off the mark. UConn had 5 scholarship RBs to start the season and 3 out of the 5 were injured at one point during the season. Brewton played 5 games, 4 games plus the bowl. Carter played first 3.5 games. Houston missed 3 games in October. Rosa was a true freshman so at the beginning of the season, they didn't know how he would perform. And, besides the RB injuries, UConn lost their QB starter and 2 best receivers at the start of the season so UConn had to start a true freshman QB who did not participate in Spring practice. Yet, you think Charlton had available talent at RB to have 2 or 3 on the field at a time (even though for most games, we only had 2 or 3 healthy RBs) and he had the ability to adjust the offense on the fly while trying to keep it simple for a very inexperienced QB? Why do you think they moved Edwards to RB during the season and toyed with the idea of moving Stafford to RB as well? They lacked RB bodies. That said, they did run some plays with 2 RBs on the field last year with Burns.

Look, you can blame Charlton for the bad QB sneak with Roberson instead of using Stafford, or some of the other play calls, but you can't criticize Charlton for not running a 2 back offense when there usually was only 2 or 3 backs available.
Well now in fact we only have a couple talented ones left. True injuries always play a role in football but on a talent deficient team you got to be flexible and get the healthy guys on the field together.
I would argue by playing one talented guy at a time it allowed the defense to key on them and ultimately injury them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom