Uconn students | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uconn students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have no idea where your menu comments came from... but I made the mistake of getting XL fries last night... it might be the worst food item I've ever purchased.
The Tavern Downtown. It's where I pre-gamed last night...Until we left, the food and service were surprisingly...fair.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Tavern Downtown. It's where I pre-gamed last night...Until we left, the food and service were surprisingly...fair.

You are missing a hell of a game.

By hell of a game I mean Tulsa is tied with Houston.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You are missing a hell of a game.

By hell of a game I mean Tulsa is tied with Houston.
I'm watching it. I just can't be in the building tonight. I'm not in Hartford today.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Houston ' defense is 2014 UConn-esque. Tulsa is in real trouble but I expect them to figure it out in the next 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
Aaand the XL Center completely screwed up the student tickets. Me and about 40 other students are stuck next to the Cincy band, when I was personally told this was the UConn student section. The rest are on the other side of the court in what I assume is the actual student section. What the duck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aaand the XL Center completely screwed up the student tickets. Me and about 40 other students are stuck next to the Cincy band, when I was personally told this was the UConn student section. The rest are on the other side of the court in what I assume is the actual student section. What the duck.

Did they cut your legs off?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
First things first, I was talking about the football program so there is no comparison to the basketball program. If UConn basketball had 4 consecutive years of 13-17, 12-18, 8-22, and 5-25, would you really criticize people for not showing up? Because that's the state of the football program. Sure, I'm a sucker and went to every painful game of this 2-10 football team and I'll end up doing the same next season regardless of their record, but that doesn't make other people bad fans.

Now, moving on to the core of this discussion...

Fair weather fans are everywhere. It's not their responsibility to support bad teams (particularly the football program because that's my comment was about). It's the responsibility of the team to win some damn games and the university to find creative ways to get people in the seats.

Referring to them as fair weather fans is, I suppose, a criticism from the point of view of a diehard fan (e.g. most of the people on this board) so you got me there. I more meant that most students would never claim to be diehard fans so... why would you expect them to show up to games to support what has been an awful football team in the last couple of years?

Being a fair weather fan is normal even for students (i.e. the people on message boards every day are the outliers). They go because it's a social event and it's fun to watch a winning team. When UConn loses a game, it's just a minor blemish in their night before they go out to a party afterwards. To claim that this is somehow a flaw in the fabric of their lifestyle is, in my opinion, baseless.

Many students at UConn (probably more now than it has been in the last 15 or so years), chose UConn because of the academics, the campus, it's where their friends are, the price tag relative to private schools, etc. and don't care one bit about sports. Does this make them bad college students?

Overall, I don't think that enrolling at a university means you need to give a single about the sports teams. I wish more people would, but I can't fault the ones who don't.
I see your point I suppose - I guess I am die hard.

I never said they are bad college students and agree that enrolling doesn't make you a fan. My point is if you are a fan and support them in good times you should support in bad. If you don't support at all so be it - you are correct there are fair weather fans everywhere.

I go to the FB games for the tailgate but for the game as well. I go when they are 2-9 playing SMU. I am a Vikings fan and watch every game on directv - even when they are out of playoff contention. I was a Whalers season tix holder and went even when they were out of playoff contention - but that may be the good case study on how Not supporting when a team loses costs an entire fane base.

Many say now is a critical time due to CR so it would behoove all UConn fans to support the FB team at this point and show we have a following to get that big10 invite - after that occurs they can all stop going during the 2-10 seasons.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous. It isn't supposed to be a home atmosphere. We're lucky enough as it is. Every school is allotted just 120 student tickets, even UConn. That's why there wasn't a loud student section. Other than the block of 120 students, everyone will be sporadically seated in the crowd. The plus side is it will inevitably be louder vs. Cincy and it's a game where more students are willing to pay for general admission tickets.
Why wouldn't uconn students figure out how to buy the student tix from the SMU, Houston, Tulsa and other schools who are not showing up in lovely downtown Hartford to attend this tourney?
I would think there would be some more creativity on UConn students part to make it a home atmosphere due to location.

My 2 cents.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't uconn students figure out how to buy the student tix from the SMU, Houston, Tulsa and other schools who are not showing up in lovely downtown Hartford to attend this tourney?
I would think there would be some more creativity on UConn students part to make it a home atmosphere due to location.

My 2 cents.
You need an ID to that specific school in order to get their discounted seats.

Reaction Score
We sat in the upper level right above the student and band section and the students were loud and proud. Sooooo knock it off about the students.

After the game people were in line to buy tickets for today's game. They are really putting it to the UConn fans.....$75.00 per ticket. Trying to make up for the sparse fans of the previous games. By the way as fans of other teams that were so happy to be in the AAC, where the heck were you?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You need an ID to that specific school in order to get their discounted seats.
Understood - so a UConn student/group/frat/entrepreneur couldn't contact a Houston student/group/frat/entrepeneur to purchase tix and resell them??

Someone bought them and resold them last night, no, or am I still missing something?

- like the ball 'quote'

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We sat in the upper level right above the student and band section and the students were loud and proud. Sooooo knock it off about the students.

After the game people were in line to buy tickets for today's game. They are really putting it to the UConn fans.....$75.00 per ticket. Trying to make up for the sparse fans of the previous games. By the way as fans of other teams that were so happy to be in the AAC, where the heck were you?
I've been meaning to ask you some time now. Is it nell or ell?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Understood - so a UConn student/group/frat/entrepreneur couldn't contact a Houston student/group/frat/entrepeneur to purchase tix and resell them??

Someone bought them and resold them last night, no, or am I still missing something?

- like the ball 'quote'

It sounds like you need a student ID to purchase tickets from the ticket office. Once bought however, its basically a secondary market. The box office probably has two sets of tickets and won't sell student tickets until they know the team is moving on. Otherwise there would be 2 tickets for one seat.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
It sounds like you need a student ID to purchase tickets from the ticket office. Once bought however, its basically a secondary market. The box office probably has two sets of tickets and won't sell student tickets until they know the team is moving on. Otherwise there would be 2 tickets for one seat.
Agreed - so my plan was doable.
Houston student makes $5 per tix and UConn student still seeing a discount.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agreed - so my plan was doable.
Houston student makes $5 per tix and UConn student still seeing a discount.
But Houston didn't win yesterday. Those would be Tulsa Student tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom