Uconn students | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Husky25,

The most important context is that I was responding to another person's comment.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" - Some Guy

"There are better ways to play on campus" - Me

"So you're implying spending 84 hours as a drunken mess is better time spent in furthering students down their path to greatness." - You

You combined my first post in the thread with my later response to someone else's comment in order to tell me what I implied.

Thanks for providing that service today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't believe people are having such a hard time understanding that college kids have better things to do on a Thursday night than go to downtown Hartford for a basketball game against a sub-par USF team.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I can't believe people are having such a hard time understanding that college kids have better things to do on a Thursday night than go to downtown Hartford for a basketball game against a sub-par USF team.

That's pretty sad. I bled blue as a UConn student. Screw one extra night at civic pub. You better believe I was on that metro-north train heading into MSG. And that's an extra 2.5 hours away.

Reaction Score
NYC for a Big East game.

Hartford for an AAC game.

That's hardly a fair comparison.

Reaction Score
That's pretty sad. I bled blue as a UConn student. Screw one extra night at civic pub. You better believe I was on that metro-north train heading into MSG. And that's an extra 2.5 hours away.
It's not a matter of wanting to be there or not. If I could have gone I would have, but not having a car coupled with UConn not providing transportation is difficult. I'm sure you bled blue when you were here, just as we all do. Suggesting that you were a more die hard fan because you slept in shady hotels just isn't accurate.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It's not a matter of wanting to be there or not. If I could have gone I would have, but not having a car coupled with UConn not providing transportation is difficult. I'm sure you bled blue when you were here, just as we all do. Suggesting that you were a more die hard fan because you slept in shady hotels just isn't accurate.

I'm not doubting you bleed blue. But I doubt people who say "college kids have better things to do then go watch UConn on a Thursday night."

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You cannot criticize anyone that is not a self proclaimed die hard fan for not supporting a team that went 2-10 and is 15-33 in the last 4 years. But that conversation has been had ad nauseum.

Isn't that called fair weather fans? When they are good support, when they are not, don't?

What's the cutoff - if UConn BB loses 14 games in back to back years?

Just curious.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Husky25,

The most important context is that I was responding to another person's comment.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" - Some Guy

"There are better ways to play on campus" - Me

"So you're implying spending 84 hours as a drunken mess is better time spent in furthering students down their path to greatness." - You

You combined my first post in the thread with my later response to someone else's comment in order to tell me what I implied.

Thanks for providing that service today.

Actually I didn't I combined the first post in your thread with a response TO ME!!!

Some Guy? It's a movie quote, and one that is quite applicable to the situation!! "Some Guy" is actually Stephen King, as quoted by me.:rolleyes:

You said that college students should not spend 84 hours over 4 1/2 months going to/from and watching college basketball in order to remain focused on their own greatness. When confronted with the extreme miniscule portion of time 84 hours as compared to the number of hours elapsed since the beginning of the season, you retort that there are better ways for "Non-fans" to spend their time (I.e. Getting drunk and picking up drunk women at Huskies/Ted's/Whatever-they-call-The Civic Pub-now, as if that form of entertainment is more productive.).

Do me a favor. Next time you feel the need to call someone out, at least be accurate.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No, it's not.
I really hate to say this but with the condition of the football program your argument could easily be transferable in that direction.
However, with the success of both basketball programs, I cannot see why students would not want to get involved.
I look at football as the big reason why UConn finds itself in the conference situation it is in.
I have followed UConn sports since 1965 and I doubt we will ever see the football program develop into one that will have the current P5 conferences come begging UConn to join.
IF any student decided to come to UConn, basing athletic program success and desire to be a rabid fan, it sure isn't football that's going to aid in that decision. Womens Field Hockey has a better shot at that.

Reaction Score
It's a little risky when they are only offering 150 student tickets on a first come first serve basis and as a broke college student, paying for a non-student ticket is something that won't happen.

Reaction Score
Assumed is correct. In regards to the season Uconn has had, you can't assume a win. They need all the support they can get from their fans. Maybe you should wait for the final game.
Alright buddy I clearly made a bad assumption not going to a game that was over 5 minutes in

Reaction Score
No; me and my friend got or tickets then left to get food at NY Deli across the street. They for scan/rip your tickets when you buy them at the box office
How many student tickets do you assume we're sold yesterday and what time did you buy them?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm not doubting you bleed blue. But I doubt people who say "college kids have better things to do then go watch UConn on a Thursday night."
Knowing that you only have 84 hours of free time in a 4 month time frame, does that change your doubts any?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Isn't that called fair weather fans? When they are good support, when they are not, don't?

What's the cutoff - if UConn BB loses 14 games in back to back years?

Just curious.
First things first, I was talking about the football program so there is no comparison to the basketball program. If UConn basketball had 4 consecutive years of 13-17, 12-18, 8-22, and 5-25, would you really criticize people for not showing up? Because that's the state of the football program. Sure, I'm a sucker and went to every painful game of this 2-10 football team and I'll end up doing the same next season regardless of their record, but that doesn't make other people bad fans.

Now, moving on to the core of this discussion...

Fair weather fans are everywhere. It's not their responsibility to support bad teams (particularly the football program because that's my comment was about). It's the responsibility of the team to win some damn games and the university to find creative ways to get people in the seats.

Referring to them as fair weather fans is, I suppose, a criticism from the point of view of a diehard fan (e.g. most of the people on this board) so you got me there. I more meant that most students would never claim to be diehard fans so... why would you expect them to show up to games to support what has been an awful football team in the last couple of years?

Being a fair weather fan is normal even for students (i.e. the people on message boards every day are the outliers). They go because it's a social event and it's fun to watch a winning team. When UConn loses a game, it's just a minor blemish in their night before they go out to a party afterwards. To claim that this is somehow a flaw in the fabric of their lifestyle is, in my opinion, baseless.

Many students at UConn (probably more now than it has been in the last 15 or so years), chose UConn because of the academics, the campus, it's where their friends are, the price tag relative to private schools, etc. and don't care one bit about sports. Does this make them bad college students?

Overall, I don't think that enrolling at a university means you need to give a single duck about the sports teams. I wish more people would, but I can't fault the ones who don't.

Reaction Score
This thread is a disgrace. You get tired of trashing the team so you start to come after the students? As a recent graduate the student turnout has been exceptional the last 5 years and I know this because I can count on 1 hand the # of games I've missed until moving a few months ago. It's pretty easy to figure out why the turnout was low from a student perspective.

1. We played USF
2. Thursday Nickel is the biggest social event of the week
3. Start of spring break (tons of kids are home/in FL or Mexico)
4. No transportation provided by Uconn (the majority of underclassmen don't have cars)

The turnout should be much better tonight w/Cincy and even better if we continue to win. OP should find something better to do rather than complain on a forum about how 18-22 years olds didn't show up at a first round tournament game.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous. It isn't supposed to be a home atmosphere. We're lucky enough as it is. Every school is allotted just 120 student tickets, even UConn. That's why there wasn't a loud student section. Other than the block of 120 students, everyone will be sporadically seated in the crowd. The plus side is it will inevitably be louder vs. Cincy and it's a game where more students are willing to pay for general admission tickets.

Reaction Score
I really hate to say this but with the condition of the football program your argument could easily be transferable in that direction.
However, with the success of both basketball programs, I cannot see why students would not want to get involved.
I look at football as the big reason why UConn finds itself in the conference situation it is in.
I have followed UConn sports since 1965 and I doubt we will ever see the football program develop into one that will have the current P5 conferences come begging UConn to join.
IF any student decided to come to UConn, basing athletic program success and desire to be a rabid fan, it sure isn't football that's going to aid in that decision. Womens Field Hockey has a better shot at that.

Oh ye of little faith.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
There were 18 Uconn basketball games in Connecticut this season. If someone went to every game that would be 36 hours of their life spent watching basketball. Add 18 hours for travel (which is on the low end if you're driving from Uconn); That's 54 hours each year spent watching 18-24 year old's play a game.

But "true fans" have to watch all the away games on TV too, right? That's another 30 hours, which means "real fans" of Uconn basketball spend 84 hours each year watching college basketball.

Guess what? Kids in college shouldn't be spending 84 hours of their life watching other people become great.

They should be spending that time developing their own greatness, and I can guarantee you that's not going to happen by spending 84 hours fawning over how good other people their age play basketball.

I think you could use 84 hours reading other people's posts before posting again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Hello from the XL Center. This is my 6th game out of 6.

I'll be here tomorrow even if UConn loses tonight.

Really everyone has better things to do than watch any game in this tournament prior to UConn and Cincinnati.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Hello from the XL Center. This is my 6th game out of 6.

I'll be here tomorrow even if UConn loses tonight.

Really everyone has better things to do than watch any game in this tournament prior to UConn and Cincinnati.
This game is actually pretty entertaining, but a juicy 1/2 lb. burger, fries and $5.00 ale is a better bet than $7 for over cooked chicken strips, soggy fries, and a $9 Coors Light.

Reaction Score
After reading all the reasons why the students didn't show up, to those complaining about student attendance,,,just let it go. Please.

If they can't afford to go, or they can't make it to the game because they can't find transportation, or the opponent isn't worth their effort, or they have mid-terms, or they have spring break, or they'd rather party on Thursdays, or UConn didn't have enough student tickets, or no-one told them that the could get cheap tickets online, ...whatever the reason, it's fine. No need to explain.

The bard core UConn fans were there last night and I'm sure that once the games get bigger, the students will decide to go too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This game is actually pretty entertaining, but a juicy 1/2 lb. burger, fries and $5.00 ale is a better bet than $7 for over cooked chicken strips, soggy fries, and a $9 Coors Light.

I have no idea where your menu comments came from... but I made the mistake of getting XL fries last night... it might be the worst food item I've ever purchased.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think you could use 84 hours reading other people's posts before posting again.
Please don't ban him, T. I get a kick out of the idea of how he will embarrass himself even more than he already has.

To avoid confusion, UCFB, this is also a movie quote, not 7 separate posts between someone named Researcher and someone named Pig Vomit. If you respond, you are responding to me, not Paul Giamatti.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Pig Vomit: How can that be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom