UConn-SCSU postgame thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-SCSU postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps this was the plan, based on the fact that she had back surgery this past summer?
if that was the plan, must just be coincidence that it was the same as the plan for the last two years

Reaction Score
So you are a freshman playing in your first game, and Coach chooses you for the interviews, sitting between 2 All-Americans. That's a rather heady beginning!
Azzi's not there yet, Milford, much as we all expect her to be... I'd agree, from Ashlynn's perspective, the sensation likely would have been as if Azzi had already achieved that distinction.

Reaction Score
Azzi's not there yet, Milford, much as we all expect her to be... I'd agree, from Ashlynn's perspective, the sensation likely would have been as if Azzi had already achieved that distinction.

Edwards is not there yet either. She was honorable mention AA.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is there a replay available of the game?
Yes, you can find it by searching on YouTube. You have to fast-forward through commercial breaks, however, since the editing that we have become accustomed to was not done for this replay.

Reaction Score
Yes, you can find it by searching on YouTube. You have to fast-forward through commercial breaks, however, since the editing that we have become accustomed to was not done for this replay.
Also available on UConn+

Reaction Score
And IMO Amari has to be ready to go against N. C. State
, i.e. not to reinjure/ upset her back. We need all our BIG GIRLS ready. NC ST has
6' 5", 6' 3", and 6' 3": River Baldwin, Mimi Collins, and Mallory Collier.
Zarathustra- - -NoCar State has size but they're not as athletic as our big girls!
IMO UCONN is too quick/athletic for NoCar State,
UCONN will win by at least 20 points!

Reaction Score
... understandably, as Mr Lincoln was indisposed. But I quote 'em as I see 'em.:)

Reaction Score
Aubrey is the absolute perfect 6th woman! She is better suited for this all important role than any other player on the team! Although it is doubtful that Geno has made up his mind on a starting five yet, for me it's a genius move to start Caroline (or Nika for that matter) over her. In my opinion, if Caroline is healthy (and she apparently is) she belongs in that starting lineup without question! Aubrey can and does have the ability to ignite the team instantly (offensively or defensively).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Agreed that Azzi hasn't made college All-American yet, but she was a 3x (or 4x) All-American in high school and was a NPOY contender for a month last season. I have my fingers crossed this season for my local girl. I wrote my comment in vague terms.

Reaction Score
Aubrey can and does have the ability to ignite the team instantly (offensively or defensively)
I agree Aubrey is on another level in this respect. Personally I think the team's quality depth argues for a more aggressive & fluid rotation but if it is to be 5 +1 (followed by +2 at lower minutes), as seems likely at this point, Aubrey is the +1.

Reaction Score
Prediction time:

We’ll probably see 5+2 in March. But against NC St and Md, I suspect we’ll see 5+4: Nika Azzi Paige Caroline Aaliyah + Ice Aubrey KK and Ashlynn. Qadence Inês and Amari will only see end of game minutes if it’s not close.

Once Ayanna comes back, PT will be distributed even more widely, since I expect she’ll come in before Ice in some games. In conference, i won’t be surprised to see 5+5, and if Qadence finds the range and learns to hit her spots it could become 5+6.

From what I saw yesterday, it looks like Geno is going to be cautious about letting Paige or Azzi, and maybe Caroline too, go over 20 mins. And he hinted at something similar for Aubrey. That means lots of minutes for the freshmen.

Reaction Score
Prediction time:

We’ll probably see 5+2 in March. But against NC St and Md, I suspect we’ll see 5+4: Nika Azzi Paige Caroline Aaliyah + Ice Aubrey KK and Ashlynn. Qadence Inês and Amari will only see end of game minutes if it’s not close.

Once Ayanna comes back, PT will be distributed even more widely, since I expect she’ll come in before Ice in some games. In conference, i won’t be surprised to see 5+5, and if Qadence finds the range and learns to hit her spots it could become 5+6.

From what I saw yesterday, it looks like Geno is going to be cautious about letting Paige or Azzi, and maybe Caroline too, go over 20 mins. And he hinted at something similar for Aubrey. That means lots of minutes for the freshmen.
I agree with this minus 5+2 in March. I think we’ll solidly be 5+3 in March because I think match up wise we’ll need to use KK, Ice and Caroline and Aubrey along with the core 4 starters.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aubrey is the absolute perfect 6th woman! She is better suited for this all important role than any other player on the team! Although it is doubtful that Geno has made up his mind on a starting five yet, for me it's a genius move to start Caroline (or Nika for that matter) over her. In my opinion, if Caroline is healthy (and she apparently is) she belongs in that starting lineup without question! Aubrey can and does have the ability to ignite the team instantly (offensively or defensively).
I agree that Aubrey’s energy off the bench is exceptional. But I like to see her start for one reason. No other player on the team can create as much havoc at the point of the diamond press as Aubrey. We didn’t see much in the way of a press vs SCT. But I strongly suspect we will see a lot of pressure defense this season. Geno still has the image in his head of what tOSU did to UConn in the Sweet 16 last year. This year, he has the depth and talent to speed up opposing teams, force turnovers and generate easy transition baskets.

I have described Aubrey as a human vacuum. With her length and athleticism, she snatches basketballs out of the air like a spider grabbing a fly. Add Paige and Nika on the wings of the press and UConn has a pack of thieves ready to jump passing lanes and create havoc. I want to get back to a time when 1st qtr blowouts by the Huskies were SOP. Opponents never knew what hit them, and games were effectively over by the half. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stand corrected. But not wall qualifying

Serious question, is a player on 2nd or 3rd team AA considered an All-American?
Making an AA team, any AA team, is one hell of an accomplishment. While it might not get you on the UConn HOH, I certainly consider 2nd, 3rd or even HM to signify that player as an AA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think she will be 6th player after Geno's interview comments. He said he intends to do 3-4 minute bursts with her to try and keep her healthy. That doesn't lend itself to being a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom