UConn-SCSU postgame thread | The Boneyard

UConn-SCSU postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great to see the team actually playing a game. Loved the announcing and they had the score, etc. It was great camerawork, and clear etc. Thanks to the UCONN staff or whoever for putting it all together!

Loved seeing our 5 starters our there. Caroline getting the start over Aubrey was a surprise to me. But the core 8 - just wow.

Everyone had their moments. No need to be overly analytical as it's the first real game in the States. Wonderful to see them all out there!!

OF the kids we haven't seen before, flashes from all of them. Ice and KK - they are gonna be part of the core players. Super bright future. Q and Ashlynn showed flashes, but putting all the subs on the floor together is NOT a good look at this time. Ashlynn plays HARD and when she knocks down some shots, can be very good on the floor as well. Q also plays hard and has a nice stroke.

Oh and kudos to SCSU for making the trip. They have some good shooters and play solid fundamental basketball!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going in, I’m looking at the 5th starter situation; we know what we’ve got otherwise. Aubrey & Caroline both confirmed wonderful credentials. But should have been obvious to me before: Caroline is not going to be able to avoid head contact due to her style of play. She doesn’t leverage her shoulders and upper torso/arms; her head is a battering ram. She’s going to be continually vulnerable.

I’m not saying I believe she’s not skilled & sophisticated in her moves, she is, but it’s just a style she probably can’t change. I don’t think head contact itself necessarily means new concussion, but IANAD and don’t know whether effects of previous concussion are still there to be aggravated by new trauma. I wish her well, she is a special player.

Nothing I saw from Ice or KK diminishes expectations of high quality and immediate incoming depth. No disappointments at all, really, on the incoming side. As expected: high school stars still have moments they think they're still in high school, nothing to worry about (yet).

Geno has to find more early playing time for Amari, earned or not, every moment there’s an opportunity. The biggest single new development that would up this team’s level would be a breakthrough big. Need to know if that’s going to happen and if not, move forward otherwise. Maybe he already knows.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Going in, I’m looking at the 5th starter situation; we know what we’ve got otherwise. Aubrey & Caroline both confirmed wonderful credentials. But should have been obvious to me before: Caroline is not going to be able to avoid head contact due to her style of play. She doesn’t leverage her shoulders and upper torso/arms; her head is a battering ram. She’s going to be continually vulnerable.

I’m not saying I believe she’s not skilled & sophisticated in her moves, she is, but it’s just a style she probably can’t change. I don’t think head contact itself necessarily means new concussion, but IANAD and don’t know whether effects of previous concussion are still there to be aggravated by new trauma. I wish her well, she is a special player.

Nothing I saw from Ice or KK diminishes expectations of high quality and immediate incoming depth. No disappointments at all, really, on the incoming side. As expected: high school stars still have moments they think they're still in high school, nothing to worry about (yet).

Geno has to find more early playing time for Amari, earned or not, every moment there’s an opportunity. The biggest single new development that would up this team’s level would be a breakthrough big. Need to know if that’s going to happen and if not, move forward otherwise. Maybe he already knows.
Other than that, how was the play, Mr Lincoln?

Reaction Score
It’s been a while since I’ve sat down and watched an exhibition match from start to finish.

Really enjoyed seeing everyone play. A lot of energy and hustle. The freshmen are of course a work in progress, but I loved what I saw. I think this is going to be a really fun season.

Reaction Score

Uhh no, playing time is earned .... period

Reaction Score
I’m about to go play the lottery (from the predictions thread)
IMG_0539.jpeg

Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The season has begun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun game to watch. There was no doubt about the final outcome.

The veterans played like veterans. Good ball movement. Some beautiful pick and rolls. We know who four of the starters will be. I believe the fifth starter could change based on our opponent. Time will tell.

The freshmen are going to be fun to watch all season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Others can critique the good, the bad and the ugly of this game but the thing that stood out to me was how well Ice played. Again, this was her first collegiate game and she fit in very well and didn't appear to have any hesitation whatsoever. She could be an Aaliyah clone.

Glad that the Huskies are back!!!

Reaction Score
My vote for the most improved player from the European games was Ice Brady. She had me concerned after watching the summer games but today, wow. I won't feel so bad about Amari's lack of progress if we've got Brady.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I watch an exhibition that amounts to an obvious mismatch, I don't really concern myself with the final score, turnovers, shot-making or fouls. But there are several things I looked for:
  • Fitness level - This is Andrea Hudy's 3rd year at UConn. Every returning player looks leaner and stronger. That bodes well for the season,
  • PT/Rotation - It was interesting that Caroline got the start over Aubrey, although I am not certain if that's what we'll see against Dayton next week. Geno used a lot of combinations. Right now I am really comfortable with an 8 player rotation during "prime time". Paige, Azzi, Aliyah, Nika, Aubrey, Caroline, KK & Ice. As for Q, Ashlynn, Ines & Amari they still have a ways to go. Time will tell,
  • The new toy - KK Arnold is special!!!
  • Paige's return - It's been over a year since we last watched the best WBB player in the nation. Just seeing her on the court was a thrill. I don't know if it's possible, but Paige may actually be a better passer, perhaps from watching a lot of basketball last season. Paige dropped some serious dimes on her teammates. Every pass was absolutely on time and delivered perfectly, right into her teammates hands for an easy basket. Paige makes everyone on the floor better.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought the starters looked really, really good. So did Aubs and Ice. Paige still look like the best player in college--drives into the lane, threes, no-look assists, steals, blocks. She does it all and does it well. Liya looked like an All-American--1st team, not 3rd team.

Aubrey is a match-up nightmare. She will be at the FT line a lot! So will KK.

Ice may be our key player. She gives us more depth inside and a nice high-low option with Liya.

The second unit was a bit rough in the half court, but seemed to be smoother in the second half. It was the first college game for many of them. They all showed their specialties. Ashlynn made some threes and seemed to be in the middle of everything. Ash plays really hard.

I'm flying up to Hartford on Wednesday and looking forward to seeing the team in person.

Reaction Score
Right now I am really comfortable with an 8 player rotation during "prime time"
If Coach makes that conscious decision, I'm with you all the way, that could work great with this talent. But do you think it's an approach he's historically been very comfortable with? There's a difference between having a starting five and three players who routinely get early minutes vs. an 8 player rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom