UConn-SCSU postgame thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-SCSU postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great to see the team actually playing a game. Loved the announcing and they had the score, etc. It was great camerawork, and clear etc. Thanks to the UCONN staff or whoever for putting it all together!

Loved seeing our 5 starters our there. Caroline getting the start over Aubrey was a surprise to me. But the core 8 - just wow.

Everyone had their moments. No need to be overly analytical as it's the first real game in the States. Wonderful to see them all out there!!

OF the kids we haven't seen before, flashes from all of them. Ice and KK - they are gonna be part of the core players. Super bright future. Q and Ashlynn showed flashes, but putting all the subs on the floor together is NOT a good look at this time. Ashlynn plays HARD and when she knocks down some shots, can be very good on the floor as well. Q also plays hard and has a nice stroke.

Oh and kudos to SCSU for making the trip. They have some good shooters and play solid fundamental basketball!
Your last sentence paragraph---KUDOs! I agree a highly out classed in talent, but played like PRO's and effort to the end. If they don't make their league standup and shout--shame on their league--I'm still standing for their effort.
KK and many of the Sophs and Frosh impressed me with their Passing. Q, Quedence Samuels--I like she never quits shooting. Ice, Miss Indiana Slade, I like, When the first 7 are not performing--Geno has a lot to use. I hope 2, 12, 25 see lots of PT early because they can be factors come April. Paige I worried about, 33 Caroline I worried about--Not so much after this.

Reaction Score
Be prepared to be continually surprised. With how thin the team is in bigs, Edwards and Brady will almost never be on the floor together, particularly with how much talent the team has at the guard and wing positions. Carol and Aubrey will be taking turns at the four all season unless something dramatic happens; if they are not, the team is in big trouble.
I have to agree. With no Jana and Amari looking the same, it appears the strategy is that Edwards and Ice will trade off at the 5. I still think they could play together in short stints if neither are in foul trouble.

Then it looks like Aubrey and Caroline at the 4 with probably Patterson eventually working her way there to get into the mix. This could allow Caroline some minutes at her natural 3.

Reaction Score
If Coach makes that conscious decision, I'm with you all the way, that could work great with this talent. But do you think it's an approach he's historically been very comfortable with? There's a difference between having a starting five and three players who routinely get early minutes vs. an 8 player rotation.
Fans are locked in on Geno's 8 rotation--very much like:
1. Geno shall never play UTenn
2. Geno shall never uses Transfers--Lou, Dorka??
3. Geno's lock into an 8 rotation--not on your life\
Geno just when you think you have him figured out. Changes.
Guess what? Geno is human, humans evolve, humans change, humans are NOT predictable.
AND Geno isn't always Right. Nor does he motivate the un motivate-able if recorded history is correct!

Reaction Score
  1. Is Ashlynn Shade really Kelly Faris V2.0, as many Boneyarders have suggested? I don't think so. Obviously, she is similar insofar as she plays intelligently, has the same ruggedness because she is in such good physical shape, knows her role and sticks to it, and always gives 100% hustle. But to my eyes she is much less athletic than Kelly was (running speed, quickness in changing direction, leaping ability). She is also an inch or two shorter than Kelly. That means she is unlikely ever to defend on the perimeter or rebound as well as Kelly did. She will be a valuable member of the team for four years, and she may turn out to be a better outside shooter than Kelly was before her senior year, but there is a definite ceiling on her realistic contributions.

You are a tough critic! Already putting a ceiling on a freshman's contribution after 1 (exhibition game).

1. Is "Q" (Qadence Samuels) an Aubrey-in-waiting? I say Yes. I think she will have a year very similar to Aubrey's freshman year, with the same assets and limitations. She may be a better 3-point shooter than Aubrey is even now.

I also don't see the similarity between Qadence's and Aubrey's games at all. Qadence is a shooter and is not shy about taking the open shot, even in her first game, something Aubrey is still hesitating even today in her 5th year.

Reaction Score
While this team doesn't have a Stewart, Stokes type of shot blocker underneath, this team has the potential to be scary good on defense. With Muhl's on-ball defense and then Paige and Ducharme's length in the passing lane, they can be very disruptive. Edwards and Brady look solid underneath. Fudd looks like she is the most vulnerable on defense, but her approach is solid. The freshman bring energy and speed and look like they are going to be pests and then you have Griffin who can be a nightmare for opposing players.

I just hope they stay healthy because this team could be really fun to watch.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game. Good attendance for an exhibition game, and student section filled top and bottom.

Player introductions seemed a little different - "basketball capital of the world" flag unfurled on the floor and mini fireworks shooting over two UConn signs on the floor. Don`t remember that from last year. Like the new court.

Paige was introduced last and the noise was tremendous. As it should have been. Goose bump time.

High points - Paige`s first hoop in front of the student section and mini celebration with them. Man, do they love her. Aubrey stealing the inbounds pass to begin the second half and going in for the score - so the team on defense had scored at the 9:55 mark.

Low point - Ines` behind the back pass that didn`t connect. Oops.

No injuries! Nika took a couple of awkward falls but got up ok. She was flexing her left leg on the bench after the second one but I don`t think it is anything. Paige was in a bit of a scrum right before she came out but she looked fine as well.

Paige looks bigger and Caroline has trimmed down. Watched Caroline closely in warmups, she was making everything. Boom, boom, boom. This team could score 120 on a hot night.

The freshman, including Ice, were impressive. KK especially, she is a ball of energy. Plenty to work on, but they can contribute because they can all play defense. KK and Ashlynn are both quick, strong, aggressive, and form a formidable backcourt defensively. They can contribute on the offensive end as well, but it would be wise to pair them with proven scorers when they are on the court for now. It looks to me like this group is further along on the learning curve defensively than offensively. But the offense will come with them, they are certainly capable.

The veterans look absolutely raring and ready to go. Aaliyah and Aubrey were dominant. Azzi disappears for a while and then shows up and starts making everything. Paige is at another level. Nika is what we know her to be and that`s awesome.

Sign of the times, there were 126 shots taken and 69 were threes, or 55%. A lot of it was that that was what Southern`s offense could produce, but 49% of UConn`s shots were threes. Lots of layups, too. Midrange, not so much.

UConn was 18-22 from the foul line, including 9-10 from our new players. Southern was 1-1. UConn outrebounded Southern 53-25.

Looking forward to Dayton. Would not be surprised if ten players see action in the first half.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don’t get too fussy about the frosh this early in their career. What struck me about all of them is that they did not seem intimidated or gun shy. That is a great sign. Obviously KK seems ready to be a prime time player and Ice has the build and skill to contribute major minutes. Shade and Samuels don’t disappear. Granted it was SCSU, it was still a game against decent players. Maybe the Europe trip has played a part in their feeling comfortable. There should be plenty of games, especially in conference, when they get to play some extended minutes and not just with each other like today which was bound to be a little ugly.

Paige, can we sign her to a 10 year deal? So good. Such great vision. .

Reaction Score
In defense of Ashlynn, since I’m probably the first person to make the comparison to Kelly Faris, it’s true that she’s not as quick and is a little shorter 5’9” vs 5’11”. Speed is not her thing. She’s also probably a better perimeter shooter, at least at this point in her career, though I think Ashlynn will turn out to be absolutely better from 3.

But the main thing about her that reminds me of Kelly is that she is a total ball hawk. Somehow she’s always around loose balls, and she has really strong hands. Once she gets her hands on the ball it doesn’t usually come loose.

She’s also a sure handed ball handler, like Kelly was. She may not have KK’s twitchy quick first step, but when she gets the ball in her hands, it is safe. She’s used to being the go to player on a team, and that means ball security is high on her list of priorities. There were a couple of times when she ended bringing the ball up the floor and it seemed to settle everything down. I wouldn’t look for her to lead a fast break. But in a half court set I think she’ll be very reliable.

So, she’s not exactly like Kelly was. But they share that same salient feature of being ball hawks. Somehow, I think that matters more than all the rest.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. Good attendance for an exhibition game, and student section filled top and bottom.

Player introductions seemed a little different - "basketball capital of the world" flag unfurled on the floor and mini fireworks shooting over two UConn signs on the floor. Don`t remember that from last year. Like the new court.

Paige was introduced last and the noise was tremendous. As it should have been. Goose bump time.

High points - Paige`s first hoop in front of the student section and mini celebration with them. Man, do they love her. Aubrey stealing the inbounds pass to begin the second half and going in for the score - so the team on defense had scored at the 9:55 mark.

Low point - Ines` behind the back pass that didn`t connect. Oops.

No injuries! Nika took a couple of awkward falls but got up ok. She was flexing her left leg on the bench after the second one but I don`t think it is anything. Paige was in a bit of a scrum right before she came out but she looked fine as well.

Paige looks bigger and Caroline has trimmed down. Watched Caroline closely in warmups, she was making everything. Boom, boom, boom. This team could score 120 on a hot night.

The freshman, including Ice, were impressive. KK especially, she is a ball of energy. Plenty to work on, but they can contribute because they can all play defense. KK and Ashlynn are both quick, strong, aggressive, and form a formidable backcourt defensively. They can contribute on the offensive end as well, but it would be wise to pair them with proven scorers when they are on the court for now. It looks to me like this group is further along on the learning curve defensively than offensively. But the offense will come with them, they are certainly capable.

The veterans look absolutely raring and ready to go. Aaliyah and Aubrey were dominant. Azzi disappears for a while and then shows up and starts making everything. Paige is at another level. Nika is what we know her to be and that`s awesome.

Sign of the times, there were 126 shots taken and 69 were threes, or 55%. A lot of it was that that was what Southern`s offense could produce, but 49% of UConn`s shots were threes. Lots of layups, too. Midrange, not so much.

UConn was 18-22 from the foul line, including 9-10 from our new players. Southern was 1-1. UConn outrebounded Southern 53-25.

Looking forward to Dayton. Would not be surprised if ten players see action in the first half.
They did the large banner and fireworks during introductions last year.

Reaction Score
Pretty good effort by the ladies this afternoon. My take away is that the team has a got a lot of talent. I'll refrain from making any predictions based on one game against an over matched team, but I definitely now know that KK has the "it" factor.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Agree with everything but the Farris/Ashlyn comparison. I don’t think they are anything alike but I do think Ashlyn is much more athletic than Farris. A better comparison for Ashlyn imo is Shea Ralph. Obviously not as good but similar styles of play.
? On a team that had M. Moore, Auriemma once referred to Faris as his most athletic player. She probably defended the PF Alyssa Thomas and the PG Chelsea Gray better than any other wcbb player could. Gray was particularly demoralized, and we’ve seen what kind of pro she is.

Maybe you can excel at just defending small, quick guards without being particularly athletic, or just big, strong posts. To do both definitely requires a high level of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Be prepared to be continually surprised. With how thin the team is in bigs, Edwards and Brady will almost never be on the floor together, particularly with how much talent the team has at the guard and wing positions. Carol and Aubrey will be taking turns at the four all season unless something dramatic happens; if they are not, the team is in big trouble.

I believe Edwards and Ice are going to play quite a bit together. In the interview below Geno is speaking about his need for the frontcourt to produce. I can't imagine he wouldn't give them significant time together in which many games will be blowouts. He doesn't have to give Amari time if he doesn't believe she is ready but - these two I believe he will.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
? On a team that had M. Moore, Auriemma once referred to Faris as his most athletic player. She probably defended the PF Alyssa Thomas and the PG Chelsea Gray better than any other wcbb player could. Gray was particularly demoralized, and we’ve seen what kind of pro she is.

Maybe you can excel at just defending small, quick guards without being particularly athletic, or just big, strong posts. To do both definitely requires a high level of athleticism.

I had forgotten about Kelly guarding Gray. I do recall her guarding Thomas in the NCAA tourney. She wasn't in front of AT, she was next to her. She absolutely took away Alyssa's left hand. Those 2 players are Olympians and All-World, but Kelly Faris shut both of them down in college.

I see some similarity between Kelly and Ashlyn. Both are smart and play extremely hard. Neither is likely to be a dominant scorer, but will earn kudos based on doing almost everything well.

Aubs and Q have similar size and build, but different skill sets. Q is not a reluctant shooter, but she doesn't have Aubrey's athleticism. Recall that Aubrey's mother was an All-American in track and field. Aubrey has exceptional genes.

Reaction Score
All and all a good game to have under their belt going into the regular season. None of the freshman (including ICE in that group) looked lost and for the most part looked pretty good. ICE and KK made the case for primary backups, Ashlyn and Q look ready to get non-4th Q minutes. I'm surprised Amari only got garbage minutes in an exhibition game; I have hoped she would begin showing some quality play this year. There is a whole season for her to do that but she'll need to play a lot of minutes to have a shot at raising her level and I doubt she'll get them.
and one - - - I think she only played 7 minutes because she's coming back from back surgery!

Reaction Score
obviously you have a lot to learn!
There seems to be a very wide (though not unanimous) reaction that my original post on the game, third post in this thread, was a negative report deserving of the moderator's retort "other than that, Mr Lincoln, how was the play". I don't see that, at all, beyond some fairly mild disappointment in Amari's play.

If I have communicated poorly I would love to be enlightened by the objectors as to what I said that was so negative about the game. I certainly didn't feel that.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm not sure but I thought it looked like Carol's head got brushed going for a rebound at the start of the game but she shrugged it off.
I was impressed by Shade's style of making free throws using a quick flick of her wrist with such minimal effort that showed her strength.
However I wasn't enamoured by the 9 turnovers by Inez, Shade & Q with 3 each totaling 60% of the TO's.
Also Q missed 7 shots making only 2 of 9.

KK displayed that she has a total veteran type of presence without committing any turnovers & good passing.
She knows how to make a beeline to the basket like a pro.
Azzi didn't need time to warm up before making shots in this game which is a great sign.
Paige displayed her PG skills.

Amari didn't make any mistakes which IMO is a positive.
She attempted to get into position to rebound several times, although not every time.
She also put the ball on the floor & made a basketball move to take a shot which shows that she's making mental progress.
She had 1 assist & 1 block & didn't cause any fouls.
By not making any glaring mistakes she'll evetually see more PT during the long season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure but I thought it looked like Carol's head got brushed going for a rebound at the start of the game but she shrugged it off.
I was impressed by Shade's style of making free throws using a quick flick of her wrist with such minimal effort that showed her strength.
However I wasn't enamoured by the 9 turnovers by Inez, Shade & Q with 3 each totaling 60% of the TO's.
Also Q missed 7 shots making only 2 of 9.

KK displayed that she has a total veteran type of presence without committing any turnovers & good passing.
She knows how to make a beeline to the basket like a pro.
Azzi didn't need time to warm up before making shots in this game which is a great sign.
Paige displayed her PG skills.

Amari didn't make any mistakes which IMO is a positive.
She attempted to get into position to rebound several times, although not every time.
She also put the ball on the floor & made a basketball move to take a shot which shows that she's making mental progress.
She had 1 assist & 1 block & didn't cause any fouls.
By not making any glaring mistakes she'll evetually see more PT during the long season.
I saw some of the same things with Amari. She pushed her way into position under the basket but the shots were good and there was no rebound to be made. But the effort was there. One time she did retreat with a shot in the air and I thought she should have tried for a rebound, so not consistent. The attempt at a drive to the basket was actually well done but the she missed the hoop. She blocked a shot under the basket which showed some quick hands. She only got a few minutes of playing time but I thought-- not so bad. Really, focus is the key for her in my view and that is something that is correctable.

Reaction Score
and one - - - I think she only played 7 minutes because she's coming back from back surgery!
And IMO Amari has to be ready to go against N. C. State
, i.e. not to reinjure/ upset her back. We need all our BIG GIRLS ready. NC ST has
6' 5", 6' 3", and 6' 3": River Baldwin, Mimi Collins, and Mallory Collier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom