UCONN - Marquette postgame thread (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Marquette postgame thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough game tonight. All the players on the UCONN team were top recruits with the exception of Ines and they need to carry some of the load. I have always considered Geno the best coach in basketball but he has shown over the years that he will not develop a bench and this year with injuries it is hurting them. They don't need to play all of them at once but he must start to manage the time his starters are playing. I know it weakens them briefly but not to the level that playing kids until they are exhausted has this season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Friday is another travel day to DC, either by bus or jet.

Reaction Score
On about three occasions the camera caught CD and Jamelle restraining Geno for no obvious reason. To keep him from getting too much into the player's cases? To keep him from running screaming from the gym?
To remind him that these kids have hit the wall tonight. He listened. He just hates losing. But, sometimes it's just not your night. He knew.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
There goes that #1 seed. Unless there a lot of losses by other top teams and we run the table (which we were supposed to do starting with this game) we're a #2 seed at best.

Blah blah blah. The #1 seed. So what? You realize more rounds of games are in designated cities this year? Even if we are a 1, we'll be playing in somebody else's building anyway. Not a big deal.

Reaction Score
If any game screamed for a spark off the bench it was this one. Unfortunately, the only players on the bench capable of providing a spark were in sweats.
Yeah it’s unfortunate because this game — and others — could have been the time where the bench players really proved themselves (I’m not taking Ines into consideration). But every time they are given an opportunity … nothing. Every single game I go in hoping that they will come off the bench and be this huge spark. Sometimes they provide a little something but never a wow factor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tough game tonight. All the players on the UCONN team were top recruits with the exception of Ines and they need to carry some of the load.
Really?

Aaliyah, #23 out of high school
Aubrey, #33
Lou, unranked transfer from Fairfield
Nika, ranked 23rd best point guard in her high school class, not top 100 overall
Dorka, 12th best European recruit
Amari, #5
Ayanna, #4
Ines, unranked

These young women are exceptional for their ability to elevate their games and move beyond others’ opinions of them. But, no, they weren’t all highly rated recruits

Reaction Score
After the season they’ve had how can anyone really be complaining? With what they’ve gone through they’ve exceeded my expectations. Seeding/injuries/subs..whatever! Geno will figure it out. They always are ready come March. How impressive is it they’ve gone this long without losing back to backs?

Reaction Score
Folks this loss stings but after all of the injuries there was one regular season game that I said we better not lose....you guys know who I'm talking about right. Yep, it would've been the saddest trip of my life if we lost to Tenn. We've all wanted better competition to prepare for the post season, we'll we got it. Hopefully Azzi and Caroline are available if we see them again in the BE tourney.

Reaction Score
That tank is on E.
Can anyone really be surprised. This group of young women has been through the gauntlet and has finally reached the end of the line. To expect 5, really 5, players to carry such a heavy load is not realistic. They did the best that they could and we should all be proud of what they have accomplished. If they should lose to Georgetown, so what, March is coming and hopefully Azzi and Caroline will be back. The players on the bench, with one exception, shouldn't be expected to change the course of the game. Their freshmen, learning the ropes, and are doing the best they can. This team, this group of young women, has made me proud to be a Husky fan whose looking forward to March.

Reaction Score
I’m not one to question Geno, but this feels like something maybe the coach should be responsible for, to at least some degree.
Geno had zero turnovers, but I did think he hesitated on the timeout.

Reaction Score
My $.02; shut the team down until Sunday, game time. Practice at this stage will accomplish nothing,
Games on Saturday in DC. Can’t shut them down simply logistically to get them there. Doubt they had a practice planned.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This says it all
geno.jpg

Reaction Score
Great post. You said pretty much everything I was. I won't add anything negative about the team.

Duffy is a solid, classy coach, and Marquette earned the win tonight.

But I disagree with those who say losing the #1 seed doesn't matter. Tonight we just inherited a much tougher road to the Final Four, through a 3 seed. And I hope we get more firepower back for the game at 'Nova.
We are not going to be a three seed! Maybe a two. A lot of things can happen between now and selection day!

Reaction Score
I can't imagine how much this one on top of the disappointment after their battle with SC is weighing on the spirits of our warriors. I just hope they feel the strength of how much love and support there is for them from UCONN nation. Nothing but pride and appreciation for these guys. Truly a special group of young woman. Emotionally and mentally they hit their low point but they still have three goals for this season and they will regroup, feed and feed off each other and take it one game at a time as they battle to fulfill each of them. It's truly a privilege to root for them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well congrats to Marquette. They played a tough game. Did what they needed to do to win. Well done.

Can someone remind me what award we get for not losing 2 in a row for 30 years??? Yea, doesn't really mean anything, just a talking point. And now we don't have to listen to it every time we lose a game.

Some good tonight. Juhasz with a double double. Muhl with 7 assists. Held Marquette to 59 points.

We've had lots of TOs all year. Usually we can shoot our way out. Not tonight though. Really that was it. Shooting 40%/23%/58% just didn't cut it tonight. Had we been able to shoot nearer 48%/35%/70%, we'd have pulled it out. An extra FT, and extra 3 pt, and a couple 2's and we'd have pulled it out. Heck may not have even need that much if we didn't have to foul at the end. Fine margins.

Hey we've lost league games before. Games we shouldn't have. But it happens once in awhile, even WHEN we've had a full complement of players. With all the crap they've been through this year, we really should expect it at some point.

(oh yea, by the way Geno out :p :rolleyes: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom