UCONN - Marquette postgame thread (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Marquette postgame thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Turnovers were 19 for UConn compared to 8 for Marquette. Having 11 more possessions would have helped too.
Considering all the postulating I have done about Uconn going undefeated in the BE, I don't eat crow, so I will not post again until the NC tournament. Thank all whom have commented on my posts and enjoy the rest of the BE.

Reaction Score
Feel bad for this group, they have been battling for some time. The lack of another consistent outside shooter really reared it's ugly head tonight. The team will regroup and hopefully some reinforcements return sooner than later. Several games left to determine seeding and IN and LSU may lose one or two upcoming. I will be in DC on Sat cheering on the team like always.

Reaction Score
Think back to your college days and those late night weekend parties, followed by the requisite hangover the next day. Well, the SC game was UConn's hangover. The starting 5 had no legs tonite. As great as Aaliyah played on Sunday, she was missing in action, uncharacteristically losing the ball a number of times. Lou missing the back end of both her foul attempts was another giveaway. Nika's decision-making was questionable most of the game. I could go on, but this was like one of those lost days.

It's not the end of the world, but I can appreciate the joy of the Marquette players in their win. They played hard and took advantage of their opportunity. It might be the win that gets them a tournament bid.

Fortunately, this team is resilient and hopefully this loss stings and leaves a taste they don't want to experience again.

Reaction Score
The tight rotation is catching up to us, and the use of the bench tonight really showed the answer isn’t among the available bench players.

We need a shooter back to keep defenses honest. Our offense also isn’t producing 3 point attempts except for Dorka, who isn’t really a great long distance shooter.

The team looked tired, and their body language read defeated pretty early in Q4. Time to regroup and refocus. We all tend to underestimate the big east, but most of our remaining big east games are against the top half of the league. It’s going to be a grind.

Congrats to Marquette, they really played a great game and executed their game plan perfectly.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well if there was a year when we could lose 2 straight this was it. The girls are SO burned out mentally it's not funny. Marquette played plenty well enough to take advantage of that. Congrats to them.

Reaction Score
Turnovers were 19 for UConn compared to 8 for Marquette. Having 11 more possessions would have helped too.
These turnovers have been a steady thorn for us. Too many empty possessions. Some of our passes are trying to force a play on a well-covered teammate. Why? I can't remember when we have had less than 10 turnovers. This happens rested or not. We played listless for most of this game. If just one player had a better than average game, we would have won this encounter. We stood around, not engaged.

Marquette played a solid steady game and stuck to what was working.

Hope the answer is the return of several key players.

Reaction Score
Tough loss. I am sure the players are very disappointed. Sooner or later, a sub-par effort was going to turn into a loss, and it did.
On the positive side, Dorka got a double double, and three players scored in double digits. Aaliyah had 12 rebounds. Nika had 7 assists.

Marquette had 8 turn overs, Uconn had 19. Marquette had more assists and shot better from the line.

Team has to figure out how to get over the mental fatigue and recommit to playing together, move the ball, take more shots, and make them. Marquette took 60 shots to UConn’s 52. You have to take shots to make shots. The more you take, the less you turn the ball over.

Onwards to the next game. Hope Caroline comes back very soon, and then Azzi.

Kudos to Marquette for playing a great game!

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Agreed that we need another shooter...but how long do you think it will take for any opponent to "body up" Caroline and Azzi after they enter their first game? That's what scares the h*11 out of me...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Marquette. They were the better team tonight. I was concerned before the game.

We looked tired and out of synch. Usually we are angry after a loss, but we didn't seem it tonight.

When we lose, it's often that the half-court offense totally stagnates. We saw that again. TOs hurt, as usual, plus we shot portly, including at the FT line.

Let's see what we can do to turn things around.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this has turned out to be not the year to have the toughest schedule in the country. We are exhausted physically and mentally, depleted, and have no bench to rely on. It will be a much tougher road from here on in for us now and given the NCAA games two days apart on back to back weekends just to get to the FF, I seriously worry that the toll of this season will be too difficult to overcome. I was just stunned by the drop off in every phase of the game since Sunday. It was a different team out there playing against a team that was ready for us and confident.

JBK

Reaction Score
These kids are just exhausted; mentally, physically, and emotionally. Tough tough game after the way they battled on Sunday, but hopefully they can take a few days to recharge before Georgetown on Saturday.
We have some of the best athletes in the world and it is not the 40 minute game that they cannot handle, but the ability to take a break when their game goes sideways. Our subs right now are afraid to shoot the ball and have not scored in most games lately.
We need to strategically use them more and let them play and shoot the ball !!!
Taking out Dorka and AE at the same time tonight was the old Geno trying to give them a message - but we only went down 12 -
Didn’t work

Reaction Score
There goes that #1 seed. Unless there a lot of losses by other top teams and we run the table (which we were supposed to do starting with this game) we're a #2 seed at best.
Probably true because there are no remaining games where a win would elevate us much. We need help, which could come, because LSU might lose to SC twice, once regular season and in the conference tournament. Indiana could lose a couple too, with many top teams in their conference, but Iowa if they win out they could get a 1 seed as well.

We can no longer control our own destiny for a number 1 seed.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I wish the bench, with what little time they get, would have a positive impact on the game. Ines passed up at least two open shots. With all five starters having off nights, those three had a chance to spark.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Agreed that we need another shooter...but how long do you think it will take for any opponent to "body up" Caroline and Azzi after they enter their first game? That's what scares the h*11 out of me...

They certainly will but at least then it will be spread out more. Right now Lou is getting ALL the attention. When CD and Azzi comes back maybe Lou will get a break. They can't leave Azzi open for sure by concentrating on Lou.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I can't help thinking of the magnificent 7

This is the magnificent 5
They've given absolutely everything they had
But there's nothing left in the tank; nada

One thing that concerns me...
The addition of one of the walking wounded won't do it.
If Caroline is back soon, great...but it will be like bringing reinforcements
piecemeal into a battle...

That could really upset the fandom
The team may not be ready to play competitively until a substantial rest and reset
The last game is 2/27...The tourney starts on 3/3, not enough time.
I'm not sure of the bye situ, still not enough

I'm concerned
These warriors have given all they have
And it may not be possible to put the pieces back together.

Reaction Score
On about three occasions the camera caught CD and Jamelle restraining Geno for no obvious reason. To keep him from getting too much into the player's cases? To keep him from running screaming from the gym?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom