UConn in the Summer League | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn in the Summer League

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

like he was just out for a walk in the park. nothing unusual messing up his stroll.
how cool is that, that tmart has a toolbox, and he uses it just like when he was here. smart, smart, man. has a plan, and hasn't moved one inch from it from day one.
hey andre! watch how slick he is from short, just flicking the ball in for bunnies.
anyone watching this vid has seen tmart make 'that' shot, all of them, over and over.
nba people like repeatable, and predictable in a player. predictable as in predictably reliable.

Reaction Score

Besides the Depaul away game his JR year and maybe a few other stretches in game I haven't seen that assertive Tyrese Martin on drives as I saw there. Where was that consistently at UCONN? I know he can dribble drive but he didn't always show it. If he can keep this up with his body and athleticism he will stick around the NBA for sure.

Reaction Score
Besides the Depaul away game his JR year and maybe a few other stretches in game I haven't seen that assertive Tyrese Martin on drives as I saw there. Where was that consistently at UCONN? I know he can dribble drive but he didn't always show it. If he can keep this up with his body and athleticism he will stick around the NBA for sure.
I love how his game fits the NBA. He couldn't do this at UConn because players can sit in zones, or play deep enough off their man for help. In the NBA, the game is spread out and if you hang out in a lane too long you get hit with a defensive 3 second technical. The NBA is made for transition hoops and driving lanes. NBA players will make millions shooting off of that short corner so defenders are hesitant to help. He will do well as he improves his dribbling and shooting.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tyrese being Tyrese - that is wonderful
Different place, different style needed for the NBA game and it looks like Tyrese sees that and his offensive game is suited better for the spread defense of the NBA
If he keeps this up he will not only stick but make some serious dollars

Reaction Score
I wasn't watching, but it looks like RJ got in to the Lakers game yesterday. He didn't score in 11 minutes (0-3) but he did have 5 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal.

Vital played 11 minutes for the Raptors as well. 1-3 from the field for 2 points, plus 3 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Tyrese is absolutely an NBA player. How much of an NBA player is the only thing that should be left up for debate. His floor currently appears to be end of bench on a decent-ish team, which is great. I think it all depends on if he stays with Atlanta long term.

The problem with the Hawks is at the forward position, he has to compete with two recent first rounders (Jalen Johnson 2021, AJ Griffin 2022) and two vets (Justin Holliday who averaged 10ppg shooting over 36% from 3 and Mo Harkless who isn't really that good) behind their established starters DeAndre Hunter and John Collins. Ty at 6-6, while he played the "bigger" forward position last night, might not be able to do that consistently in actual NBA games (although Hawks seem prime to excel at small ball).

The Hawks are losing some forwards from last year in Kevin Knox and Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot so there is a chance he makes the team, but his path to minutes is difficult, especially given the 1st rounders presumably getting priority over him.

Reaction Score
He may not stick with the Hawks but every game is an audition for the other 29 teams.
He's pretty much guaranteed he'll get the Hawks 2nd 2-way contract from what I've read.

Reaction Score
He may not stick with the Hawks but every game is an audition for the other 29 teams.
NBA teams don't really draft players if they don't have some type of plan for them.

Reaction Score
NBA teams don't really draft players if they don't have some type of plan for them.
Yes and no. In a situation like Atlanta where they're "going for it" a 2nd round pick is far from a given to be included in a long-term plan. With that said, their second rounder last year Sharife Cooper played 13 games last year (avg 3.0 min in those games) and their 2nd rounder from the year before Skylar Mays has played in 61 games over 2 seasons, avg 8.0 min per game. However both guys are guard and probably had less competition than what Ty will face this year if he makes the team.

A rebuilding team is a different story, of course, in how they value 2nd rounders (take a look at what the Knicks have done with their 2nd rounders for example).

Reaction Score
If he shows he could hit the three he has a shot.
The NBA is a different , more open game, So that’s no surprise he can get to the hoop.
I’m not a big NBA fan but I would not mind the defensive 3 second rule in college. Some of their other rule interpretations favor show over substance which creates a different game. But some could have substantially results . See even a old school purist like myself can change
The net tesult is putting it on the floor and going to the hoop is a different than looking for a small seam in a packed in D.
My biggest concern was , could he knock down the three close to 40% mark.If he could shoot has got a 50-50 chance.Much of making it or not is being at the right place at the right time.

* I watch if a UConn kid is playing
It’s funny I never really had a favorite team more that I rooted for the team a favorite player was on.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. In a situation like Atlanta where they're "going for it" a 2nd round pick is far from a given to be included in a long-term plan. With that said, their second rounder last year Sharife Cooper played 13 games last year (avg 3.0 min in those games) and their 2nd rounder from the year before Skylar Mays has played in 61 games over 2 seasons, avg 8.0 min per game. However both guys are guard and probably had less competition than what Ty will face this year if he makes the team.

A rebuilding team is a different story, of course, in how they value 2nd rounders (take a look at what the Knicks have done with their 2nd rounders for example).
And it's possible neither are on the team this year. Mays almost definitely not, Cooper up in the air but trending no.

Reaction Score
Carlton with a double double last night in just 16 minutes off the bench. 10 point, 11 rebounds (7 of them offensive boards) and 2 assists.

I love it for Josh - such a great young man
So many who said he wouldn't amount to anything, he does it in the AAC, etc
7 offensive bounds is going to get noticed by lots of folks
Coach Sampson helped his game tremendously
Josh can play and will for $$$.

Tyrese will get better as time goes on. He will most likely see a split in time in the GLeague and with the Hawks. He has lots of room to grow into an NBA player and he has the desire. Rooting hard for him.

Still believe that AW can help an NBA team but his consistent paydays are most likely overseas.

CV, one of my absolute UConn favorites, and RJC will struggle to find room in the NBA - I feel that size will hurt them both. Neither are NBA PGs and both dont fit the 2 guard position mold. But they can make some money in playing somewhere.
Tyres and Josh are easy to root for. Both good kids. CV is a smart kid, if someone gives him the opportunity of time, he would figure it out. But, with all the talent knocking on the NBA doors, time is a short lived commodity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom