UConn in the Summer League | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn in the Summer League

Reaction Score
Etienne over Cooper
Cooper looks awful out there in SL. Like he's trying too hard. Over-dribbling and finding himself stuck in the paint amongst the bigs with nowhere to go with the ball.

His stats over 4 games:
23 min, 5.5 pts, 20% fg, 20% 3p, 4.8 assists, 3.3 turnovers.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
The truth is he went 4/18 and 1/7 from 3 today. Bouk would be killing it this summer had he not needEd surgery
No doubt. --- the hate for Bouk on this forum is nuts. I think people forget how talented he really is. Hopefully he comes back 100% & gets to work asap. Has all the tools to be a 20+ ppg guy.

Reaction Score
No doubt. --- the hate for Bouk on this forum is nuts. I think people forget how talented he really is. Hopefully he comes back 100% & gets to work asap. Has all the tools to be a 20+ ppg guy.
As you probably know by now Chief always gives it straight and let’s the chips fall where they may. Some Casual Fans don’t realize how much of a target James put on UConn’s back at the Gampel game last season. The refs felt very disrespectful not only by James’s conduct, but for UConn allowing him to remain in the building after being ejected by a good and experienced ref.
When a ref ejects a fan, that should be immediately followed by the person ejected leaving the building. There is simply no excuse for what happened. Chief had insights to this situation which I have chosen not to share including how James interacted with the UConn staff prior to the game. If someone was shepherding James that day, by sometime before the game it was clear it was not a wise thing to showcase him given the circumstances.

Reaction Score
Bouknight had a disappointing rookie year in the league but he dominated in the G League and had a really solid Summer League last year. He would be one of the better players in Vegas if he was playing this year.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Tyrese with 13-4-4 on an efficient 5-8 from the field.

Josh had a really nice game off the bench too, with 11 and 9 and 3 blocks as well.

Great to see!
He’s putting up awesome stat lines in Sumer League. But without putting up 3 pointers or being 8 feet tall, idk how much his game translates to the modern day NBA.

I’d love to see it happen though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The issue isn’t talent, never has been.
Correct
Physically the kid can score but the Charlotte people spoke to his attitude, work ethic and commitment
The NBA is full of scorers but the only ones who succeed for the long run (K Irving is the sole exception) are those who concentrate 100% on their job, willing to work to improve, and keep their bodies and minds clean.
Anyone who is a UConn fan wants every UConn player to be the best they can be but the player has to want that also - not sure if Bouk really wants to sacrifice in all the areas that count. He has yet to show that he has that desire. People who should be mentors yet turn a blind eye are just adding to the problems.

The word hate is misused IMHO - disappointed is more appropriate. Like I said a lot of guys in the NBA can be 20+ ppg scorers but it takes more than putting the ball in the net unless you are JJ Reddick and Bouk isn't in that space.

Reaction Score
You're talking "in the NBA", right ? Nobody on this forum "hates" Bouknight, not even in the "h8ter" context. The vast majority made the observation that leaving early was not particularly smart as he wasn't ready to play in the NBA and until proven otherwise, they all seem to have been right about that.

Reaction Score
Is Charlotte just not going to play Whaley? Wtffffff
Hopefully he gets some PT in their last SL game and a chance on the Swarm. He has the hunger and heart; who knows what could happen, Steve Clifford loves guys who can defend.

Tyrese with 13-4-4 on an efficient 5-8 from the field.

Josh had a really nice game off the bench too, with 11 and 9 and 3 blocks as well.

Great to see!
I'm not sure how many people here had Martin getting drafted, but it would be nice to see him get a contract based on how he's gotten better with each SL game.

He'd probably play for the Skyhawks most of the season but could get called up, especially with Atlanta's inability to stay healthy.

Reaction Score
Whaley and McGriff have been benched all 4 games for reasons unknown. It's quite frustrating as a fan, so I can only imagine how IW must be feeling. Then again, there could be a solid reason that I'm unaware of. Usually everyone on a summer league team gets at least a few minutes at some point. I wad yelling at the TV a bit yesterday when Charlotte was trailing by about 20 with 2 min to go and Whaley was still glued to the pine.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i really don't think there is 'hate' for James here. i think it's just a few voices who seemed locked into a pose (look at me! im sooo right!) becuz of, well who knows why? it really doesn't matter now does it, since he did pass 'go' and he did collect the cash. good great on him. soooo, notsoright on that being right nonsense, in fact, wrongoreeno.
James is good, James is fun, and didn't kill nobody, nowhere. he's just, well, doing it his way. im optimistic on his prospects, and cheering hard for him.
check, check, check out the melody...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i really like that geetar pickers look. great face work and skins.
i should try that the next time i hit the zoning office.

check, check, check out the not-so-subtle pics of dinosaur times.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one of the all time individual highest scoring games in our history, and against a top ten team.
not luck.
and, oh, the starting squad was james, rj, isaiah, tmart, and josh.
looks like a 'there, or close enough for government work, all nba team,'
with a good helping of ol jmoney to pitch in.

james is special, in a hoops talent sort of way.

(sorry for posting this vid tcf, i tried yours but utube is sending it to me all messed up. blurry.)

Reaction Score
PeachTree Hoops Podcast: ATL and 29: Summer success
with Glen Willis & Kevin Chouinard

At about [14:52] they get more in depth about Tyrese's Summer League play and chance of securing the 14th roster spot.

TLDL;

Glen Willis:

Likes his aggressiveness, especially after game one (TM only got 5 pts that game; was forcing shots up). His handle and physicality, are better than he expected coming out of college (Guessing he didn't watch many games last season). His craft of getting to the rim and creating decent shots at the rim, plus good feel for what space he has to operate in. When his defender gave him space, he took advantage of that immediately and got leverage, which he didn't notice too often with guys playing their first time in the professional ranks. TM noticed when he got an angle/space, and used it every single time, which was fun to watch.

On defense, they think TM has a lot of work to do on angles and containment. The hawks have been playing an aggressive defensive scheme this SL, so TM's off ball help/support hasn't always been in the right spot, but wasn't a surprise since they guys haven't played together. He think TM's going to be stronger, but they're not quite sure about TM's quickness. They'll have to wait and see if he can master the angles he gets and if he can apply what quickness he has there.

Looks like he can be a factor at some point, which is an incredible get at 51.

Kevin Chouinard:

Tyrese does a lot of good stuff with the ball; he consumes the space and makes good decisions with the ball at the rim. When he does cut, he makes good decisions, and has made some good passes on the move as well. Summer League obviously isn't the real thing, but he's really impressed with Martin.

They both agree that TM has been the best player on the Hawks this Summer League. They've noticed he's a perfectionist on the floor and appreciate his acuity and competitiveness.

Roster Chance:

As far as his spot on the team, they're not sure if he would get a regular contract; taking the 14th roster spot or would fill the second 2-way spot, next to Sharife. For the 14th or 15th roster spot they mentioned the Hawks needing another PG. With losing Huerter, they're going to need someone who can play the 1 and the 2.

They don't see anyone on this SL roster being a factor for a real contract, unless Tyrese Martin gets one. [11:03]

Reaction Score
Tyrese and Bouk will both have solid careers. Tyrese is a more mature player at this point, both physically and mentally. Give Bouk a chance. He’ll be fine.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
You're talking "in the NBA", right ? Nobody on this forum "hates" Bouknight, not even in the "h8ter" context. The vast majority made the observation that leaving early was not particularly smart as he wasn't ready to play in the NBA and until proven otherwise, they all seem to have been right about that.
Kids leave prematurely for the league all the time, even when it’s obvious to coaches, scouts & fans that they’re not fully ready. NBA is notorious for drafting on potential & discriminating against older players. Bouk showed more than enough flashes in college to merit a lottery selection. Plus he has had multiple injuries in college, including an elbow that probably should’ve ended his final season early. So IMO, I think he absolutely made the right call to leave & was rewarded by being a lottery pick.

Jury is out as to how he matures as a professional, but the talent is there & hopefully it blossoms through hard work.

Reaction Score
PeachTree Hoops Podcast: ATL and 29: Summer success
with Glen Willis & Kevin Chouinard

At about [14:52] they get more in depth about Tyrese's Summer League play and chance of securing the 14th roster spot.

TLDL;

Glen Willis:

Likes his aggressiveness, especially after game one (TM only got 5 pts that game; was forcing shots up). His handle and physicality, are better than he expected coming out of college (Guessing he didn't watch many games last season). His craft of getting to the rim and creating decent shots at the rim, plus good feel for what space he has to operate in. When his defender gave him space, he took advantage of that immediately and got leverage, which he didn't notice too often with guys playing their first time in the professional ranks. TM noticed when he got an angle/space, and used it every single time, which was fun to watch.

On defense, they think TM has a lot of work to do on angles and containment. The hawks have been playing an aggressive defensive scheme this SL, so TM's off ball help/support hasn't always been in the right spot, but wasn't a surprise since they guys haven't played together. He think TM's going to be stronger, but they're not quite sure about TM's quickness. They'll have to wait and see if he can master the angles he gets and if he can apply what quickness he has there.

Looks like he can be a factor at some point, which is an incredible get at 51.

Kevin Chouinard:

Tyrese does a lot of good stuff with the ball; he consumes the space and makes good decisions with the ball at the rim. When he does cut, he makes good decisions, and has made some good passes on the move as well. Summer League obviously isn't the real thing, but he's really impressed with Martin.

They both agree that TM has been the best player on the Hawks this Summer League. They've noticed he's a perfectionist on the floor and appreciate his acuity and competitiveness.

Roster Chance:

As far as his spot on the team, they're not sure if he would get a regular contract; taking the 14th roster spot or would fill the second 2-way spot, next to Sharife. For the 14th or 15th roster spot they mentioned the Hawks needing another PG. With losing Huerter, they're going to need someone who can play the 1 and the 2.

They don't see anyone on this SL roster being a factor for a real contract, unless Tyrese Martin gets one. [11:03]
Competitiveness is a big part of Tyrese’s success. That can be a multiplier and contagious.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole has 5 pts for the Lakers last night in SL.

Also had 1 Rebound and 1 TO in 13:16.

Do you think he goes the G-League route like Vital? Or just goes to Europe?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Tyrese and Bouk will both have solid careers. Tyrese is a more mature player at this point, both physically and mentally. Give Bouk a chance. He’ll be fine.
hey! u called this before tmart got the nba contract!
punking us all, nice work.

Reaction Score

I'd guess at least one G-League season. It might not be this year though, should he get a really good offer abroad. Vital originally signed with a German team and was released before he played in the G-League.

Reaction Score

I was getting a bit frustrated with that game. Many times, RJ was wide open for a shot but was ignored in favor of unsuccessful hero ball drives to the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom