UConn Football Summer/Fall of 2017 - Camp REStorred | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Summer/Fall of 2017 - Camp REStorred

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Tuff short term hit w/ Diggs (on top of Levenberry)

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 7m 7 minutes ago
Diggs has a Grade 2 MCL tear in his left knee.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 5m 5 minutes ago
Diggs hopeful he doesn't miss ANY games. Unlikely but possible. Getting knee scoped soon

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 56s 57 seconds ago
QB Jordan McAfee out with a concussion.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 47s 47 seconds ago
Edsall said QB Donovan Williams came to him this morning and asked about a switch to WR. Today's practice his first as WR.

I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall, RL has experience with WR's going to QB, wonder how he will work it in the opposite direction.

Reaction Score
Logjam at QB (that's good) but the injuries not so much. Thin at LB and RB and concussion might have just confirmed McAfee redshirt which was not unexpected. Still wouldn't rule him out of future plans.

Reaction Score
Oh, absolutely. But IIRC, many of us (including myself) wondered if the conversation had ever taken place at all. Diaco had just stated that DW would definitely redshirt and needed a story to justify changing his mind. So, we thought he created the story. This new development sorta backs up Diaco's claim. But again, I totally agree that Diaco is still scarily incompetent for heeding to DW's advice at that time.
Not sure I follow your logic that this backs up Diaco's story. Are you saying DW wanted one shot and if it didn't work this was his backup plan anyway?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Im more excited than ive ever been for this season. It just feels ripe for the picking. A much needed dose of positivity for the athletic dept as a whole would do wonders.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
i'm feeling kinda disappointed with today's coverage...no comments on who looked good at qb? nothing about rbs behind newsome? nothing on o line? agh! come on guys, i'm hungry for some info!!

Reaction Score
A little cheese to go w/ the whine ;):

>>Pindell was the first one out and looked very comfortable running the offense. I wouldn't want to make any grand proclamations after seeing one hour of one practice but Pindell certainly looked like the guy. He was confidently firing the ball around the field and when he decides where he is going with the ball, it doesn't take long for the ball to get out of his hands.<<

>>Dan Oak was the starting center with Crozier out with Kyle Schafenacker seeing second-team reps. The rest of the first team offensive line featured some familiar names (Matthew Peart, Tommy Hopkins, Steve Hashemi, Trey Rutherford) but plenty of newcomers were getting work with the first or second teams including redshirt freshmen Cam DeGeorge, Nino Leone and Harrison Newman as well as true freshman Ryan Van Demark.<<

Reaction Score
Unless I counted wrong....13 wr's now on scholarship, none of them seniors and 3 already in the class of 2018.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dan Oak was the starting center with Crozier out
Center Ryan Crozier was dealing with a stomach ailment but Edsall is hoping he'll be back at practice tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony Update: Diaco-Favorite Donovan Williams Moved From QB To Wide Receiver

>>Edsall had floated the idea of a position change in a meeting with Williams about a week ago, asking if Williams would object to contributing on special teams if he didn't end up as the first- or second-string quarterback. Monday morning, Williams went to Edsall and said he could envision himself as a receiver, and the move was made. He had his first position group meeting later in the day, and he'll run routes in Tuesday's practice.

"It's just [learning] the nuances of the position," Edsall said. "He's a good athlete. He can run. He's got good hands. He's got the frame, a big catch radius to get the ball. It's just running the routes and running to set things up, those things. But playing quarterback, he understands the concepts. And the physical part of it, that doesn't concern me."<<

>>Skanes has been returning kickoffs. "It is part of my game," he said. "And it is something I do take pride in." << 

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony Update: Diaco-Favorite Donovan Williams Moved From QB To Wide Receiver

>>Edsall had floated the idea of a position change in a meeting with Williams about a week ago, asking if Williams would object to contributing on special teams if he didn't end up as the first- or second-string quarterback. Monday morning, Williams went to Edsall and said he could envision himself as a receiver, and the move was made. He had his first position group meeting later in the day, and he'll run routes in Tuesday's practice.

"It's just [learning] the nuances of the position," Edsall said. "He's a good athlete. He can run. He's got good hands. He's got the frame, a big catch radius to get the ball. It's just running the routes and running to set things up, those things. But playing quarterback, he understands the concepts. And the physical part of it, that doesn't concern me."<<

>>Skanes has been returning kickoffs. "It is part of my game," he said. "And it is something I do take pride in." << 
It'll be interesting to see if they decide to redshirt him. He made the decision so that he can see the field earlier, but I'd imagine a year of learning the ins and outs of the position at this level would do him a lot of good. WR seems to be a position that we can afford to have a guy sit a year, but considering the whole idea is based on more playing time, that may not be the reality.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see if they decide to redshirt him. He made the decision so that he can see the field earlier, but I'd imagine a year of learning the ins and outs of the position at this level would do him a lot of good. WR seems to be a position that we can afford to have a guy sit a year, but considering the whole idea is based on more playing time, that may not be the reality.

He is going to see time on special teams right away.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

See my post above. Our old "coach" burned his redshirt last year with 3 games left in the season. Donovan Williams is a Sophomore.

Reaction Score
He can still redshirt as a sophomore.

Sounds like he wants to play tnis year. By next year all the new receivers will have an extra year under their belts as well and it's a young group. I say let him compete now at WR and Special Teams. His physical skills may be enough to set him up for certain situations. Wish he had a year to practice the position with Thomas though. Seeing the guys from the other end of those routes was good but working technique would have helped.

We're so loaded at certain positions now but still thin at RB LB making me nervous.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sounds like he wants to play tnis year. By next year all the new receivers will have an extra year under their belts as well and it's a young group. I say let him compete now at WR and Special Teams. His physical skills may be enough to set him up for certain situations. Wish he had a year to practice the position with Thomas though. Seeing the guys from the other end of those routes was good but working technique would have helped.

We're so loaded at certain positions now but still thin at RB LB making me nervous.

Agreed. He wants to play, but he's switching to what's arguably our deepest position on the roster. Hergy, Beals, Dixon, Skanes would all surely be ahead of him. So at best he's the 5th receiver, and none of those ahead of him are seniors. Does it make sense to just use him as a body on ST as opposed to getting in a redshirt year? I sense that the kid is getting a little impatient

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed. He wants to play, but he's switching to what's arguably our deepest position on the roster. Hergy, Beals, Dixon, Skanes would all surely be ahead of him. So at best he's the 5th receiver, and none of those ahead of him are seniors. Does it make sense to just use him as a body on ST as opposed to getting in a redshirt year? I sense that the kid is getting a little impatient
Agree, but let's see how things go. I trust Randy to use him a material way.

Reaction Score
Unless I counted wrong....13 wr's now on scholarship, none of them seniors and 3 already in the class of 2018.
Has there been any news on Ryan Fitton, freshman TE out of Staples High in Westport since practice started? All FCIAC and All State.
6'4" 240. Wondering if they're gonna redshirt him?

Reaction Score
Has there been any news on Ryan Fitton, freshman TE out of Staples High in Westport since practice started? All FCIAC and All State.
6'4" 240.

Nope... but it's only been just over a week w/ one open practice.

Reaction Score

I would say less impatient as it may just be good news on how good Pindell looks. If he is what the film and some reports have said then he may have the job locked up for next two years which would leave DW only one year. For that last year he would still have to beat out MW for the job. The WR position although deep plays 4-6 guys per game. He may already with his size and athleticism be 1 injury away from cracking into that lineup. I think if he can't provide valuable minutes in some capacity as a WR they should burn his RS instead of fill in on ST.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom