UConn - Florida post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Florida post game thread

Reaction Score
Between Jackson and Clingan, the refs just aren't used to seeing it. At least that's my take. Sometimes I think Jackson doesn't understand his own abilities and hasn't fully taken advantage of them yet.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
adequate
Inspired Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

Reaction Score
  1. The big fellas took what they wanted. It’s just an embarrassment of riches to sit Sanogo and bring Clingan on.
  2. Second straight game where Karaban got pushed around a bit defensively. Being able to run for stretches with Samson’s defense is going to be a great help.
  3. Newton/Diarra had tough games today. Newton continues to be very volatile and Diarra just doesn’t seem to have the offensive skillet to be effective on that end of the court.
  4. AJax wasn’t flying around and on the ground as much as we’ve grown to expect but was a beast on the boards and was clearly our best running the point today. And that vicious block with about 5 left…
  5. Loved what Hawkins brought running off screens today.
  6. Not sure what else to say about the team defense that hasn’t already been said. It’s phenomenal and good things happen when you give every opponent their hardest defensive performance of the year.
  7. Whoever was right by ESPN’s mics screaming at the top of their lungs every possession like they were getting murdered is going to have no voice for a week.

Reaction Score
N
Couple points:
  • UConn just absolutely erased Will Richard. Like he didn't exist.
  • Clingan looked like the best player in the country. His hands and coordination are unbelievable for his size.
  • The PGs played like ass. Some of that was the combo of smaller quicker defenders plus Castleton over the top, but gross.
  • Calcaterra keeps doing it. It's absurd.
  • Refs bailed out Florida constantly. And we still won by 21.
No tech on uf coach early was a very clear sign of what the night would bring.

Reaction Score
Couple points:
  • Clingan looked like the best player in the country. His hands and coordination are unbelievable for his size.
  • The PGs played like ass. Some of that was the combo of smaller quicker defenders plus Castleton over the top, but gross.
Some of those catches Clingan makes that he makes look so easy aren't easy at all. He also uses his height to wall up everyone not biting for pump fakes and then snatches the misses. He's also incredibly composed each time he gets a pass on the perimeter and surveys the court before making the right read. He's a monster of a player.

Reaction Score
Not really, Sanogo got torched a couple times. Clingan had them just throwing the ball up towards the backboard.
Their backup center scored over him and made the “too small” gesture.

Castleton drove right at him and scored over him.

There were at least 1-2 other plays where they scored over him. It didn’t matter.

He was great tonight. I’m not being critical, it’s okay to admit he got beat a few times. He was still a net positive by a wide margin.

Reaction Score
Houston’s offense stinks. They would have zero answer for Sanogo and Clingan too
They play great D and are just all out diving and fighting for everything but yes no answer for our big guys. I don't see Houston or Virginia having the scoring power.

Reaction Score
  1. The big fellas took what they wanted. It’s just an embarrassment of riches to sit Sanogo and bring Clingan on.
  2. Second straight game where Karaban got pushed around a bit defensively. Being able to run for stretches with Samson’s defense is going to be a great help.
  3. Newton/Diarra had tough games today. Newton continues to be very volatile and Diarra just doesn’t seem to have the offensive skillet to be effective on that end of the court.
  4. AJax wasn’t flying around and on the ground as much as we’ve grown to expect but was a beast on the boards and was clearly our best running the point today. And that vicious block with about 5 left…
  5. Loved what Hawkins brought running off screens today.
  6. Not sure what else to say about the team defense that hasn’t already been said. It’s phenomenal and good things happen when you give every opponent their hardest defensive performance of the year.
  7. Whoever was right by ESPN’s mics screaming at the top of their lungs every possession like they were getting murdered is going to have no voice for a week.
Karaban was being called for heavy breathing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They play great D and are just all out diving and fighting for everything but yes no answer for our big guys. I don't see Houston or Virginia having the scoring power.

UConn may win against Houston but I do know the stat lines for Diarra and Alleyne in that match up would be brutal. Newton and Joey C would at least be drawing fouls and making FTs.

Reaction Score
Karaban was being called for heavy breathing.
We never got a replay of the foul on the jump shot so I can't speak to that, but I didn't have a huge issue with the other calls. He has a tendency to bring the arms down instead of keeping them vertical and had a few fouls because he just wasn't quick enough to keep up with his man.

Reaction Score
I’ll nit pick a little, as far as being a NC contender…

First we pretty much know what we are going to get out of 5 of our players. There’s not a lot of room to complain about much with Sanogo, Clingan, Hawkins, Jackson, and Calcaterra.

There are a lot of nights we get almost no offense from the combo of Newton, Diarra, and Alleyne. If some combination of those guys can find a way to give us some offense on a pretty consistent basis we can be even better. Newton and Diarra also each had more turnovers than assists. Some offensive contribution from a couple of these guys and cutting down their turnovers can really set us apart. Newton is certainly the most capable, but is wildly inconsistent.

Karaban has been overmatched a bit against some better teams. The good news is he said on a recent podcast that he knows he needs to work on his strength and defense. Hopefully Samson can come in and give us some of the muscle and D that Karaban lacks right now in certain matchups.

I’m all in on this team though, and there’s plenty of time to fine tune between now and the tourney.

LETS GO DOGS!

Reaction Score
Couple points:
Crazy how much the guards were turning it over tonight. That made it feel like we were playing like crap through a few stretches of the game.
Is alleyne a 10 minute per game guy now?

Reaction Score
Couple points:
I love that Ajax and Hawk were good. Combined for 23Pts 12Rbs 7Ast 4Stl 2Blks and 2 TOs. Solid night for them. Hawk didnt even go off but if we can get these numbers every night from them we will be in great shape. Still want to see Ajax attack the basket. Its like the one or 2 times a game he decides to he either scores or gets fouled. He had the drive about 5 times tonight and didnt take it.

Reaction Score
Their backup center scored over him and made the “too small” gesture.

Castleton drove right at him and scored over him.

There were at least 1-2 other plays where they scored over him. It didn’t matter.

He was great tonight. I’m not being critical, it’s okay to admit he got beat a few times. He was still a net positive by a wide margin.
He was the best player on the court. It wasn't all that close.

Reaction Score
I missed the 2nd half bit it was clear Florida didn't have the guards to put real pressure on us. Nor were their guards particularly good defensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom