UConn - Florida post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Florida post game thread

Reaction Score
We got less than nothing from Newton, Alleyne, and Diarra. Newton had 5 turnovers and Diarra 3. I bet it's the first time in NCAA history that a team gets out shot at the line 28-9 and wins by 20+
But, I did like Diarra’s defense. Not impressed tonight with the others

caw

Reaction Score
I missed the 2nd half bit it was clear Florida didn't have the guards to put real pressure on us. Nor were their guards particularly good defensively.
I thought the guy guarding Hawkins was very good. But maybe you consider him a wing?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
73j9hb.jpg
I suspect that, through some fluke he didn’t post and we won, so now he’s banned himself from posting. Call it a hunch.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a guy that you have to be concerned about or he burns you on either end. He wasn't the best player numbers wise tonight but he is absolutely a demoralizing force just as Clingan/Sonogo can be. The combination of different talents makes us a nasty team to deal with. But we'll have to clean up that sloppy, at times selfish PG play to consistently beat good teams playing their A game. And certainly beat the top dawgs, a group we should be included in. Calcaterra will never be a great defender but he's a responsible one and working to keep his man in front of him. He's improved to a net positive whenever he's out there. Karaban was just snakebit tonight. Never really was allowed to play D. Hate to see that.

caw

Reaction Score
So best defensive lineup has to be Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Jackson, Clingan? Or Karaban for Alleyne?

Reaction Score
I thought the guy guarding Hawkins was very good. But maybe you consider him a wing?
He may of been ok. Just didn't see good enough guards on their squad to make it a serious game.

Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A small cloud on the horizon was that Florida's defense was pretty effective in stretches against UConn, especially against our pick-and-roll. Future opponents looking at that game film may try to mimic that in-your-face man-to-man defense, and then making late commits on the help defense. One way to play that for UConn is to pick-and-pop instead of roll, and have a cutter on the weakside.

It will be interesting to see how the coaches adjust, because we are going to see a similar defense again.

Reaction Score
Some comments from Florida Coach and reporter.

When it was over the Huskies had a fifth straight victory over a high-major opponent, a 10th win in as many tries by double-digits and had handed the Gators their worst home loss since No. 8 Kentucky pounded Billy Donovan's third team 79-54 on Feb. 18, 1998. Nearly a quarter-century ago.

Reaction Score
We never got a replay of the foul on the jump shot so I can't speak to that, but I didn't have a huge issue with the other calls. He has a tendency to bring the arms down instead of keeping them vertical and had a few fouls because he just wasn't quick enough to keep up with his man.
Agree. Actually thought this was a really well officiated game. They let the centers bang just the right amount, Every one of Karaban’s fouls seemed pretty obvious, and they had the Florida coach spitting mad at points.

Reaction Score
…. I can’t wait till we play in our throwback CONNECTICUT jerseys. Im smiling thinking about it
with how superstitious hurley is, i don't think we will see the alternates until we lose...

...so we may never see them, haha.

Reaction Score
When it was over the Huskies had a fifth straight victory over a high-major opponent, a 10th win in as many tries by double-digits and had handed the Gators their worst home loss since No. 8 Kentucky pounded Billy Donovan's third team 79-54 on Feb. 18, 1998. Nearly a quarter-century ago.
i saw a florida fan on reddit say that this uconn team was the best they had faced at home since the 2012 kentucky team with anthony davis.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We have an amazing and deep team.
Saw FL blow by our guards way too often.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Dayum.

Reaction Score
It’s still relatively early in the season. Dare I say that we might get better as the season progresses? Obviously a lot of comments here on Allenye, Newtown and Diarra and their contributions to date. What I will say is they are transfers and might still be in the process of adjusting. Yes you can make the case that Joey C is also a transfer but maybe it was just an easier transition for him? I can only imagine the ceiling if we can get more offense from those three transfers.

Reaction Score
We got less than nothing from Newton, Alleyne, and Diarra. Newton had 5 turnovers and Diarra 3. I bet it's the first time in NCAA history that a team gets out shot at the line 28-9 and wins by 20+
I was looking at Newtons stat line and it was fine until you get the turns. Last night he was able to bring the ball up but became hesitant after crossing mid-court. They need to get hom a screen or flash someone to the middle and pass the ball before the double comes. I expect to see this in the next game.

Reaction Score
Being able to run for stretches with Samson’s defense is going to be a great help.

The expectations on this board for Samson are high. His defense last year was atrocious.
If he is a true 3 and D we are a tough out. Until we see him on the floor delivering, I think we need to take a wait and see approach.

The game appeared too fast for Alex last night, but he did hit a three. When he is on the floor teams have to account for him on the offensive side. That provides the guards with some relief. However, we need better D and more minutes from him.

Reaction Score
Couple of my notes:

The amoeba-like offense. It looks like everyone is standing around, but a few seconds later you realize there is a double screen to get Hawkins a look. Maybe I do not have a good eye for basketball but these plays struck me as well-disguised.

Sanogo improving his positioning when getting the ball down low. Did anyone else notice the feed in the second half where he let the ball bounce an extra time to back down the opponent just a little more? High level stuff

Reaction Score
Slight disparity in free throws……..
Refs were definitely trying to keep it close once we opened that lead up, but Florida was having none of it. Felt like the game was called entirely differently at each end, we got touch fouls and they could rough up drives to the hoop with few whistles

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom