UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn/Baylor Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Spot on IMO! Is it possible to have good thoughts for Kim's health and recovery and also vehemently disapprove of her actions? I say YES!
I think Geno has played this entire situation perfectly from Day 1. He has been a positive voice as a leader and he has challenged his team to do the right thing. And as a great leader, he has used his strength and the strength of the program to not only pull his team closer together but to also keep them safe.
If only he’d keep a mask (not an ineffective gaiter) over his nose and mouth...

Attachments

• 1372BCD5-34BD-4713-9D00-1E1DCF371491.jpeg
    1372BCD5-34BD-4713-9D00-1E1DCF371491.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 84

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Reckless???? That's simply a ridiculous take
Reckless might be harsh (as is "ridiculous"), but Kim has access to services most of us can only dream of and didn't use them to best safeguard her team. Easily available testing at her workplace with 1 day results... why not wait 24 hours for the test results before contacting her team/staff.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey The game was cancelled. If we reschedule we reschedule if we dont look forward not backwards. We've got Providence on Saturday and a pretty busy schedule over the next couple of weeks. Whatever happens happens. Accept it we are in the Covid season and theres nothing we can do about it but stay safe. GO Huskies

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Kim said she was tested 4 times in the last 2 weeks. The first 3 were negative. She apparently had contact with a relative with the virus on Christmas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First and foremost I hope Kim Mulkey recovers without any major complications and her family and the entire Baylor women’s basketball program stays safe and healthy. Hope no more positive tests come up.

Secondly, I hope UConn can find a decent replacement game. Idk every team’s schedule, but I imagine at least one ranked team has to have room to fit in UConn (though I guess that would require the desire to play the Huskies, too).

We all knew this season would be filled with this kind of thing—games being cancelled with little notice due to COVID-19–but the most important thing this season is that everyone does their best to stay healthy and COVID free. As the people at my job like to say: “COVID free is the way to be!”
It would have been a good test for both teams. I'm disappointed but it is what it is.

Best wishes to Coach Mulkey on a complete recovery. Hopefully no one else in the program gets it.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts... quite a stinker to start the new year. :(:mad:
While we all want to put 2020 behind us it's not going to happen soon. My best thoughts and wishes to Kim and the Baylor team. Not worried about seeding or that kind of stuff as just the word UConn will have us in the mix if there is one.
One sliver of a silver lining on this is that maybe Kim will wake up some folks to fact that we all are family.
There are many that thought it was OK to have holiday gatherings. For some strange reason while they fear the virus they think that it won't come from relatives / family. The numbers have shown different.

OK back to basketball, I also feel bad for the team as I am sure they are getting tired of playing against each other. I hope Aaliyah is not taking out any frustration on team mates. :D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know what? We dont know enough about this virus so we really dont know much and we must understand that we dont know when we dont know because if we knew then we wouldnt be in this situation. Whether the game was cancelled for the virus or not its cancelled. Kim I wish you and your team good health and hope we get to play a game before the NCAAs Guys NEXT. Next is Providence on Saturday Baylor is over. Yeah Im not happy because it wouldve been a good win for UConn on the road But it aint happenin so lets move forward. I agree with almost every thread on this thread but it aint gonna change a damm thing. You dont know how much I wanted to beat Baylor on national TV. It was cancelled at the last minute. So lets focus on Saturday.

Reaction Score
You know what? We dont know enough about this virus so we really dont know much and we must understand that we dont know when we dont know because if we knew then we wouldnt be in this situation. Whether the game was cancelled for the virus or not its cancelled. Kim I wish you and your team good health and hope we get to play a game before the NCAAs Guys NEXT. Next is Providence on Saturday Baylor is over. Yeah Im not happy because it wouldve been a good win for UConn on the road But it aint happenin so lets move forward. I agree with almost every thread on this thread but it aint gonna change a damm thing. You dont know how much I wanted to beat Baylor on national TV. It was cancelled at the last minute. So lets focus on Saturday.
Like your overall sentiments.
I posted a while ago, while cringing, was that if these arguments are continuously circular in nature, that the only true answer, again cringing, is that the season should be shut down. If it was me, I'd be doing what Geno is doing, which is everything you can to play and be safe. (but like HuskyNan just reminded me, with a mask on)
There are too many moving parts, counting on too many people to do the right thing, like not going home for Christmas.
I live in an Alaska Native village. When we're shutdown, we have to count on the Natives not traveling to another village. This is also a dry village, so no booze. Then why do we get cases of public drunkenness. We've got one hope: be able to count on each other!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If only he’d keep a mask (not an ineffective gaiter) over his nose and mouth...
C'mon Nan. He's social distancing and the people closest to him are in the same bubble.

I'm not dumping on Mulkey, stuff happens, but suggesting that Geno is putting people at unreasonable risk and thus UConn fans lack the moral capital to criticize her is a false argument.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I get that people are upset and wanted the game to happen but more cancelations like this will come with covid ravaging the US right now. I mean, what happens in the Sweet 16 when a team's practice player catches covid and exposes a team? Are they just kicked out of the tournament? Is the tournament shut down? Is it delayed? This isn't the first canceled game and won't be the last.

In a perfect world Kim wouldn't have had any sort of Christmas/Thanksgiving celebration and wouldve isolated at home alone but the reality is she didn't. I'm willing to guess a lot of posters here didn't, and probably a huge number of other collegiate coaches/players didn't either against better judgment.

Kim did the right thing to stay away from her team after the holidays and had several covid tests that all came back negative. Covid incubation apparently took 9 or 10 days for her which is a lot longer than in most cases (4-5 days). Bad luck for us that it showed up in her system when it did and now WCBB loses a huge game, but I dont think pointing fingers is going to accomplish a lot. Games are getting canceled left and right due to covid whether players/coaches/fans have been following perfect protocol or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For all you folks complaining about Walz scheduling cupcakes, he is doing everything he can to get games scheduled. At this point, he’s just trying to get in the court. Am I thrilled with the quality of opponent, no. However, in less than a 5 day span there was 10 notifications of scheduling changes from games being postponed, rescheduled, scheduled again, and rescheduled. He was on the phone last weekend with a T10 team, which I thought was Uconn, but he said the doctors for the schools could not work out the varying State protocols to pull it off.
the man is busting his .

if I had to bet, I’m guessing our game against NC State will be delayed, as they just went on pause and have postponed their next two games. Let’s line up Uconn as a back up for that day!

Reaction Score
This is potentially a big blow for UConn. They may only have 1 legit "test" with SC before the Final Eight/Four. What happens if UConn loses the game to SC - does that knock them from a 1-seed due to very weak schedule? I think its imperative for UConn to schedule more games with ranked teams now!

Right now UConn's best win is DePaul. That ain't gonna be enough to get a #1 seed. Need a win over SC or wins over other quality opponents.

Reaction Score
C'mon! You and I both know that with his outbursts he'd overheat with a mask! :D
Gaiters actually cause aerosols in the event of sneeze, cough, or intense yelling, so when a gaiter is the face covering of choice for our Geno. Those around him are safest when his gaiter is down aroun the base of his neck. 'Nuf said!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My youngest son married his long-time financee on Saturday, and due to CoViD19 restrictions only 50 guests could attend. From our son's side of the family, other than my wife and other two sons, nine out of nine had recovered from the virus. This wedding was important to celebrate, as my mom died in March, 2020, and only one of my brothers was able to attend the funeral due to restrictions then.

We do not know the events surrounding Kim's get togethers, IHMO we, as fans of the best WBB program EVER, should cut her some slack. We may get a shot at them in the Final Four, or the Regional Finals if all goes as planned..... Go Huskies!!! Whup 'em all!!!! [whoever can show up....]
50 person wedding right after New Years?? ??

I agree Mulkey should be cut some slack but if she attended a 50 person wedding right now I'd gladly rake her through the coals right now.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping UCONN will take a flight to Louisville. While games getting cancelled is unfortunate, this is a disaster for seeding, big game tests, and readiness to win it all. While the BE is a step-up from the American, it's nothing like any P5 conference. We need quality games, BAD.
Sorry, but to me safety is so much more important. I fully expect the Tennessee game will also be cancelled.

Reaction Score
Well I guess it's good that they didn't leave for Texas yet. Geno said they were scheduled to leave for Texas at 2 o'clock tomorrow. Hopefully coach Mulkey and her family have a speedy recovery.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I spent Christmas and New Years at home with my wife. We FaceTimed everyone else. I would much rather have spent the holidays with my son and his family, or my brother and his family, but missing one holiday season with family pales in comparison to the possibility of spreading this terrible virus.
Just to add to your last sentence: missing one holiday season with family pales in comparison to the possibility of spreading this terrible virus and possibly never seeing them alive again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom